PDA

View Full Version : top end rebuild 83 BR 200e

gladiator mice
04-03-2012, 09:22 AM
i ordered a top end rebuild kit for my 83 honda big red 200e. made sure i ordered the right kit with correct amount of gaskets, rings, bearings, seals, and piston size. borrowed my buddys cylinder honing tool (the three prong one with grind stones on it). started detaching stuff connected to the motor, all thats left to take off are the four allen wrench head bolts, and four 12mm bolts. does anyone know a link to a quick reference manual for breaking down a top end job. tips or pointers would be nice if anyone has done this job before.

rdlsz24
04-03-2012, 03:21 PM
This will walk you through step by step

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/honda/82-83_200e_bigred.pdf

Rob

gladiator mice
04-04-2012, 09:53 AM
This will walk you through step by step

http://www.oscarmayer.net/atc/manuals/honda/82-83_200e_bigred.pdf

Rob

right after downloading it i realized i already had this stored in the computer. read down through the whole motor section/removal and installation. iv been on the right track the whole time iv been working on the motor. ready to pull the motor today. to bad honda didnt make the frame 2 inches taller above the motor, that way you could just remove the valve cover, followed by the top end, and lastly take off the rest of the motor block, with out pulling te whole motor.

yamaha driver
04-04-2012, 04:29 PM
you could remove the studs.... but i dont see why you would want to do that

gladiator mice
04-04-2012, 09:29 PM
actaully after removing all the motor mount bolts it did not want to come out. in order to tip the motor backwards more, (to get the rear mounts lower then the bracket) i removed the cap for adjusting the rear lifter which was a whole half inch but worth that extra clearance. after that i put a jack under the trans and lifted it slightly off the frame. with the motor off the frame and some more clearance on top it was a matter of twisting left and right and forward and backward motions to get the motor and trans to slide out. now its a matter of tearing down the motor, cleaning parts as i go, and rebuilding the top end.

yamaha driver
04-04-2012, 09:35 PM
yea since that top engine bracket is permenat... i forgot about that on the 200e series.

gladiator mice
04-04-2012, 09:38 PM
not the brightest bracket position honda had though. to bad the motor wasnt able to be removed with ease instead of pulling the whole trans with it. but hey, what would be the fun in that?