PDA

View Full Version : Possible reason for burning oil?

Nick762
04-02-2012, 11:48 PM
So I started the take down of my 81 185s and taking out the cam I realized the little pin that holds the cam bearing in place seems to have ripped the hold in the cylinder head for the pin outwards, could that be why I'm burning so much oil? Everything else looks good, cylinder walls, piston, rings.

I can post pictures if needed

Nick762
04-03-2012, 12:48 AM

Heres the pic

Scootertrash
04-03-2012, 04:43 AM
The oil needs to get into the cylinder to burn, so I don't think the problem shown in your pic is the reason your motor is burning oil, although it's probably an indication of a different problem besides the oil burning.

Your cylinder, piston and rings can "look" OK, but you won't know if they are out of spec enough to burn oil unless you check the bore diameter, ring end gap, and piston diameter against the specifications in the manual. Bad valve guide seals and worn valve guides can also contribute to oil burning. You can't always tell if the valve guide seals are bad by looking at them

dougspcs
04-03-2012, 07:11 AM
So I started the take down of my 81 185s and taking out the cam I realized the little pin that holds the cam bearing in place seems to have ripped the hold in the cylinder head for the pin outwards

I know your concern Nick, though I agree with scooter that is won't have any relationship to the oil burning it may have other implications.

When I disassembled my 200s engine for similar reason I found my cylinder head had the same issue.

I'll be watching this thread with you for other responses.

Erics350x
04-03-2012, 07:47 AM
whats you piston clearance and ring gap?

Scootertrash
04-03-2012, 09:01 AM
Doug- did you determine the cause of the pin damage? I haven't been into too many of these motors, but I've never seen that type of damage.

ETA: It almost looks like the cam siezed in that bushing at some time and someone tried to pull the cam with some type of puller. (?)

DeePa
04-03-2012, 09:04 AM
time for a new head...you need to have the cylinder mic'd and see if its egged out. At this point, Id bore and hone/new piston and rings.

atc300r
04-03-2012, 09:24 AM
There are several reasons your engine is burning oil. 1. worn cylinder ,pistons and rings. 2. worn valve seals. 3.If the ring end gaps are lined up they will burn oil.I have a 200s engine with a similar problem.It was rebuilt by previous owner and who ever put it back together didnt line the pin up with the hole before torqing it down.

Nick762
04-03-2012, 01:15 PM
What could have caused this?

I can check ring gap today but I don't have a bore guage, is there another way without a bore gauge?
And this piston looked perfect, (build up, but no excessive wear) I'll check the seals, to be honest I'm thinking that's the problem.

dougspcs
04-03-2012, 01:28 PM
Doug- did you determine the cause of the pin damage? I haven't been into too many of these motors, but I've never seen that type of damage.

ETA: It almost looks like the cam siezed in that bushing at some time and someone tried to pull the cam with some type of puller. (?)

No, has me stumped..cam looks good and turning freely. The collar only serves as a guide for the cam to rotate on, it doesn't stop the shaft from moving outward and inward. Once the valve cover is removed the cam lifts free..no puller is needed.

The valve cover is the only thing holding that collar in place with the pin to align it..maybe the collar isn't fitting snuggly in the race and is 'walking' around when the engine running??

This is the only thing I can figure.

Nick why did you dislike scooters post?

dougspcs
04-03-2012, 01:31 PM
It was rebuilt by previous owner and who ever put it back together didnt line the pin up with the hole before torqing it down.

This may also be the cause..

Nick762
04-03-2012, 01:49 PM
I didn't dislike it, I was just sayin it looks brand new, I'm listening to scooter on what to do next.

Nick762
04-03-2012, 01:50 PM
And I think I had the same problem, judging by the silicone everywhere haha

Scootertrash
04-03-2012, 02:44 PM
Once the valve cover is removed the cam lifts free..no puller is needed.

I wasn't really clear in my post, what I should have said was it looked like maybe the bushing seized on the cam and someone tried pulling the cam with some type of puller instead of removing the valve cover first.

To me it seems like it would be very obvious that the pin wasn't aligned with the locating hole in the head, especially once you tried to put the valve cover back on. I just got done rebuilding my 200S and the way everything fits in the head it seems like it would be hard to screw it up, but when I think back on some of the things I've seen in my years wrenching, I guess anything is possible. :P

Maybe the dislike was an accident?

I used a thin coat of ThreeBond 1194 on my valve cover/head mating surface, just as a precaution.

Here's a set of valve guide seals on ebay. 8 bucks to your door:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-ATC185-ATC200-performance-viton-valve-seal-set-185-200-/120886781273?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item1c2569e559&vxp=mtr

dougspcs
04-03-2012, 03:28 PM
And I think I had the same problem, judging by the silicone everywhere haha

Yeah I just had a closer look at mine it's like that too..I think we have our answer.

Nick762
04-03-2012, 03:29 PM
That makes sence on why it's pulled forward, cause the cam doesnt have much play when it's together.
There's always a possibility of that guy "fabricating" a quick fix, hahah.
There was so much on mine, it was unbelieveable

I'm confused about the dislike thing, what's it mean?

dougspcs
04-03-2012, 03:42 PM
That makes sence on why it's pulled forward, cause the cam doesnt have much play when it's together.
There's always a possibility of that guy "fabricating" a quick fix, hahah.
There was so much on mine, it was unbelieveable

I'm confused about the dislike thing, what's it mean?

It just a to give feedback..just click on the 'like this post' under scooter's post and the 'dislike this post' will disappear.

I like when I buy a trike that is a fixer when it hasn't been touched by others..I can deal with ring replacement or whatever, but if it's been apart by someone else you have to be on your toes for hidden damage on top of the initial problem.

Nick762
04-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Ohhh I figured out the dislike thing, sorry about that buddy! I guess I hit it scrolling down, I'm on my phone.

I'd prefer it to not be messed with, because they usually take the quick fix and I gotta do the right fix

Nick762
04-03-2012, 05:10 PM
Piston rings, piston pin, and the piston are all outta spec, and not JUST outta spec, wayyyyyy outta spec. Think I found my problem, all I have to measure is the bore.