PDA

View Full Version : need to come up with a new tri z gas tank

jmax857
03-30-2012, 06:14 PM
So on my tri z my gas tank is leaking. I took it off to pplastic weld it, but the pplastic is so old and brittle I don't think I got a good seal. There's not many z parts around here so I need some sort of a tank. I want to make a custom one, I was going to try and make one from a heinekin mini keg, but its obvious that the metal is much too thin to use. A friend suggested finding a fire extinguisher the right size, or welding 2 small ones side by side. But I'm not the hugest fan of that idea. Has anyone made their own custom under the seat tank for their z?? Or anyone got any good or crazy ideas? Preferably made from steel so I can weld mounting brackets and what not. If I can't come up with something I have to take the time to make one from scratch, which I don't really have the time to do.

whitetail hunter
03-30-2012, 06:39 PM
i would make it out of aluminum, not steel. if you need one fabed up i could help you out.

jmax857
03-30-2012, 06:44 PM
Aaluminum would be much nicer. Just wwith steel, I can do all of the work myself with minimal costs.

whitetail hunter
03-30-2012, 06:47 PM
i agree with you there. i try to do most or all the work on my trikes too. but if you change your mind give me some measurements and a pic and i can shoot you a price.

Yamaha_Rules69
03-30-2012, 08:24 PM
Why not make a top mount tank? There are a few guys that run them on here, they are made of aluminum and replaces the stock airbox up top, and eliminates the pos fuel pump and vacuum lines. This stock setup was a big downfall for the Z if you ask me.
The other idea is to get a stock one off ebay. The Z tank seems a dime a dozen, from what I have seen in the past a guy could have picked one up for about 40 dollars. Surely one of the sellers would ship to Canada..

zzmegad
03-30-2012, 08:43 PM
I kinda like the under seat tank, it helps give the Z it's look. Yeah its an extra system to maintain but mines been going about 5 years now without a problem. I agree tho it does suck at times.

jmax857
03-31-2012, 09:41 AM
If I take the time to fab one from scratch, it would be a top mount tank. I was hoping to find something I could just weld some hose barbs on, couple vents, and mount it. Something cool that would turn heads.also a lot of the top mount tanks only hold about 3 litres if I can remember, I won't settle for any less than 5 litres.,

TimSr
03-31-2012, 04:20 PM
Call me crazy, but if you want an under the seat gas tank for your TriZ, why not use another TriZ gas tank? They are cheap and plentiful. I think I might even have a couple.

Mosh
03-31-2012, 05:01 PM
There was a time you couldnt give stock Z tanks away. Ebay 12.99 with no bids.

jmax857
04-01-2012, 12:02 AM
I think everyone is missing the point here. Yes I am smart enough to figure out on my own that yoou caan replace a broken tri z tank, with yes, another tri z gas tank.
But I kind of want something a little more custom, cool, and different.

bkm
04-01-2012, 08:39 AM
I think everyone is missing the point here. Yes I am smart enough to figure out on my own that yoou caan replace a broken tri z tank, with yes, another tri z gas tank.
But I kind of want something a little more custom, cool, and different.Then get to work Professor.

jmax857
04-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Then get to work Professor.

No need to be a hater.

Anyways, the other reason I don't want to use a stock tank is because I have a trx450 rear shock, and the resevoir touches. So I had to heat, and reshape the stock tank a little. Which is all fine and dandy but I broke the fuel fitting off and had to plastic weld a new one on which is where its leaking, if I take the time to re shape a stock tank again, it would work fine but I would rather put my time into making something different. Has no one made a under tthe seat gas tank themselves?

bkm
04-01-2012, 12:28 PM
No need to be a hater.

Anyways, the other reason I don't want to use a stock tank is because I have a trx450 rear shock, and the resevoir touches. So I had to heat, and reshape the stock tank a little. Which is all fine and dandy but I broke the fuel fitting off and had to plastic weld a new one on which is where its leaking, if I take the time to re shape a stock tank again, it would work fine but I would rather put my time into making something different. Has no one made a under tthe seat gas tank themselves?No "Hatin" here. You asked a question, others gave you suggestions, and you didn't care for said suggestions. Well then the only other possible outcome is to get out in the garage and make something happen. The computer isn't going to build one, so get to work.

jmax857
04-01-2012, 12:58 PM
Its -10 and snowing. Sposed to warm up this week, then I will go outside and staart mocking stuff up.