PDA

View Full Version : Oh boy...

Matrix
03-27-2012, 09:28 PM
I have never really used my rear brakes on any ATV before because I really have never needed them before so with my race coming up I have been "training" myself on when and how to use them. When I was approaching a corner I hit the back brakes I immediatly heard a "pff" or "pchfff" noise (just play with it). When I looked at my brakes I didnt see anything hanging or anything broken so I just kept riding. Now I can see that my brake fluid is leaking through my back break itself, or at least where the parking brake cable connects (inside where the rubber cover is).

1986 200x Rear Brake...
Side view of where the leak is...
Looking directly at the leaking spot...

What does this mean? Do I need a whole new assembly?

Now that I think about it, I think I found the issue. I really need to get a pic of it on here tomorrow.

RIDE-RED 250r
03-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Time to get a caliper rebuild kit...

O-ring in the caliper housing where the brake piston shaft protrudes out on the parking brake side has blown out.

Disassemble, clean, replace o-rings, reassemble and install.

Matrix
03-27-2012, 09:51 PM
trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro... Lol were can I get one? I went to motosport, rockymountain and bike bandit.. This really is just a shitty time considering my race is in FIVE DAYS! and i probably should have rear brakes..

Damn.. just terrible timing lol, thanks for replying so fast.

WIkid500
03-27-2012, 10:04 PM
trailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro... Lol were can I get one? I went to motosport, rockymountain and bike bandit.. This really is just a shitty time considering my race is in FIVE DAYS! and i probably should have rear brakes..

Damn.. just terrible timing lol, thanks for replying so fast.

Bike bandit should have the parts in the OEM section. Start soaking the bleeder and all other screws fasteners in PB blast to loosen them up. Steel and aluminum love to corrode. Don't be afraid to use a little heat and then some cold water then more heat to shock the aluminum if needed. Good luck.

Matrix
03-27-2012, 10:34 PM
Should I replace pads and the rotor at the same time or can I just replace the pads? Like I said, I know nothing about ATV braking systems, only cars.

Lil Earl
03-27-2012, 10:43 PM
you should be good with only the pads unless for some reason the disk is real screwed up