PDA

View Full Version : 200x running problems

ailll1
03-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Hi guys,
I just finished reassembling my new 84 200x after backcutting the kickstart gears and the XR200 tranny swap.
I'm now having problem getting it to run right. It only run on full choke and will did as soon as I give it a bit of gas. It runs very erratiquely and sometimes back fires throught the carb (lean?). The dude I bought it from told me it ran great and had running issues what so ever.

I did check the timing twice and it is spot on.
I don't know what to check other than that...

Any help is greatly appreciated! :)

yaegerb
03-24-2012, 05:46 PM
Sounds like its time for a carb rebuild. Did you put any hi-performance products on?

hillbilly 200x
03-24-2012, 05:53 PM
maybe a air leak, what colour is your sparkplug. Try and spary some carb cleaner around the carb and intake when the bike is running, maybe one of the o-rings isn't sealing up.

ailll1
03-24-2012, 06:16 PM
It only has a cobra exhaust. I'm not sure what color is the plug as I took the one that was already in the engine before. I tried swapping it with the one in my SX too which I know works good. I'll have to check for an air leak even thought I replaced both o-rings going to the head.

yaegerb
03-24-2012, 07:45 PM
well, make sure you are running the correct spark plug. I don't know what the model number is in the SX, but you should be running a NGK DR8ESL. If its the right plug, take it out and clean it off with a wire brush so you can take a correct reading.

The cobra could be adding a little more air than its used to with the stock settings of the carb.

Change the main to a 110 or 112. Run, through all gears...does it bog? If not your main is good for 3/4 throttle. Run it again through all gears for about 20-30 minutes. Pull the plug. What color is it? Tan=perfect, black=rich, white=lean. If its black drop the needle one click. If its white raise the needle one click. Keep testing the needle position until its tan.

But with it running the way it is, it sound to me like either an air leak or the carb needs to be rebuilt.

Dirtcrasher
03-24-2012, 08:30 PM
Your indicating that you are using all the parts you took off aside from back cutting your kickstart gears and a tranny swap.

Which means if it isn't running like it was, you did something from tear down to reassembly.......

So, recheck your work :D

ailll1
03-24-2012, 09:51 PM
I can't really do a real plug chop (running through the gears) because as soon as I give gas it dies. The plug that is on is a DR8ES, not sure if the ''L'' makes a difference or not...

Your indicating that you are using all the parts you took off aside from back cutting your kickstart gears and a tranny swap.

Which means if it isn't running like it was, you did something from tear down to reassembly.......

So, recheck your work :D

That's exactly what I'm thinking! :D But I can't be sure that what the last owner told me is true or not. Plus, I think it hadnt ran for a while since it had old gas, was yellowish, like pale piss :confused:

I'll try to spray around the carb boot to see if theres any leak tomorrow...

Thanks for the input! :)

matt22895
03-25-2012, 10:21 AM
Its most likely a dirty carb my big red was like that only start with choke verry bad idle and if you popped it into gear and gave it gas it would die. Put a new carb on it and it was perfect

ailll1
03-25-2012, 09:34 PM
I just checked for air leaks around the carb intake boot, Nada. Pulled the carb appart once more, every seemed clean but I blew it with air anyways.
That did not fix the problem so I took a quick vid to show you guys exactly what's happening: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ckrwnAFQmjE&context=C40bd8a2ADvjVQa1PpcFOAaZ04UniaYHxtPnHVnGAq DdLb4C1frMw=

Does a 84 200s carb switch right up? I know they are smaller diameter but thats what I got on hand and I would try swapping them to see if it makes a difference...

yaegerb
03-25-2012, 09:43 PM
I don't know what kind of budget you are working in, but I would buy a Chinese knockoff carb. I have pasted a link to ebay for one below.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/CARBURETOR-HONDA-ATC-200-X-200X-ATC200X-CARB-1985-85-/380417461390?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&hash=item5892a5cc8e&vxp=mtr

So for about 30 bucks try this brand new one, bolt it on and see if your bike runs alright. I have several friends who have bought these and they work OK for about a year. The point of buying this is that if your bike runs right with this, you know your old carb needs to be rebuilt and it solves your problem quicker than trying to fumble around finding the cause.

If it runs right after you try this, then rebuild your carb for 15 bucks and sell the knockoff.

Just my opinion....

Yamaha_Rules69
03-25-2012, 09:48 PM
Yes, a 84 200s carb will swap. Im positive something is wrong with the carb, it idles really high, and not smooth at all, I can just hear a carb problem there, and it seems like it is from the main jet/needle jet area. You could try a rebuild kit before you buy a new carb, the kit is about 20 dollars. Make sure there are no air leaks, especially from the o ring on the back side of the intake manifold. I have seen this before on these, o ring was cracked all the way through. Try the 200s carb and see what happens.

1984 honda 200s
03-25-2012, 10:23 PM
Sounds lean to me, try dropping your needle clip position and adjusting your mixture screw.

Scootertrash
03-26-2012, 09:07 AM
If you didn't hear it run when you bought it, tear the carb completely apart and clean it, the gas that was in it is crap. It's silly to buy another carb to prove that the one you have is bad. Don't buy anything until you've verified that you need it or have no other options.

Take the jets out and blow compressed air thru them (not while they are in the carb), blow compressed air thru any and all openings, ports, and passages in the carb body itself.

Check your jets and needle clip position against the manual to see if the previous owner changed anything when he put the pipe on. You need to establish some sort of base line for a starting point. You can't rely on what the previous owner told you, so compare what you have in your carb to the manual as a starting point.

How many times have any of us here looked at a trike or other motorized vehicle and had the owner say: "It's been sitting for blah, blah, blah, but it ran great when I parked it. :rolleyes:

Whenever I buy ANYTHING used that has a motor , I check it over completely. For trikes and ATVs, I pull and clean the carb, and check it against factory specs, check valve clearances, on Honda ATCs I check the ignition rotor air gap, put in a new plug, air filter if needed, change all oils and lubes, etc. I do it no matter what the previous owner says. It's cheap to do and you are assured everything is up to snuff.

The large majority of the population doesn't have a clue about proper maintenance of engines. People think they can throw on a high performance pipe and just ride it. I won't even go into people who don't change oil or transmission or gearcase lubes.

Here is a link to carb tuning 101 on this site. Print it out and use when you are tuning your carb.:

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/55086-Carb-Jetting-101-Terms-Tips-and-Jetting-Theory

Here is a link to the manuals section, find your machine and download your manual so you can print out a page you need any time you need it.
http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/

ailll1
03-26-2012, 10:27 PM
I tried the 200s carb today and after messing with it a little bit because it was blowing gas at the back of the carb, I finally got it to run properly. It ran pretty lean with the 200s carb but would rev and ran smoother compared to the 200x carb.

So now I know I need a carb rebuild, which I already ordered!

Thanks to all of you guys!