PDA

View Full Version : Need help on 87 big red 250

midsouthtrikes
03-24-2012, 01:24 PM
My big red stopped shifting, I removed left cover to find part #21 (pin that shifter spring rides on) broken. Everything else looked in very good shape. I ordered the parts and replaced the pin. I put it back together and it is not shifting. Looks like its time to remove right cover now. I can get it to go into first gear but it takes several tries. Seems like something is not turning the shift drum enough? Everything on the left side looks good. Has anyone ran into this before. Does anyone have any suggestions for me? I am going to tear down the right side but first I would like to check with you guys first because I don't have a service manual for it.

atc007
03-24-2012, 02:05 PM
I'm not looking at a fiche,,but will if you NEED me too. There is a washer on that shifter in the mag side. It will do exactly what you are describing without it! Usually a result of being torn apart. I take it yours wasn't. Therefore,IF this proves to be the problem,it's still in your engine somewhere. Let me know if you don't find what I mean.

midsouthtrikes
03-24-2012, 02:57 PM
The washer is on the shaft, it doesn't look like it has ever been apart before. It was shifting fine then just quit shifting last week end. I took off the left side cover to find the pin broken off. I replaced that and did a good visual inspection of the shifting mechanism. Is there anything in the right cover that can cause this? I have worked on shifting problems in the past but never with this style of engine. Can the piece that the shift shaft splines to in the right cover be causing this? I found a post online about two marks that have to line up for this shaft. Maybe it rotated when I removed the shaft?

tri again
03-24-2012, 03:45 PM
There was a post about this a week or 2 ago.
Someone's just been in there.
Does the search key work for you?

It's not common but apparently does happen occasionally with the 250's.

We all need to know this fix so keep us posted and let me know
if you want me to try the search key for you.

Look under 'world class help' section for a manual.
Manuals are free to download or read online.

edit - HA!! new find!
When you mentioned 'service manual' in your first post,
it turned into a hilighted link and takes you right to the
service manuals.

Congrats btw.
87's are listed as less than 5,000 on the list of production numbers.

midsouthtrikes
03-25-2012, 09:23 PM
I figured it out! I took the left cover back off after studying the service manual I down loaded from here. Last time I did a good visual inspection of the shift mechanism, this time I took it apart. The bolt/stud that holds the star wheel to the shift drum had backed out enough for the dial pin to back out of the star wheel. This was making it seem like it was shifting but it was not. I torqued everything and put it back together, it shifts like new again! Thanks for all the help! The simple fact that I could get the manual here for free is awesome. Looks like over time a few bolts worked their way loose causing all my problems. I hope this may somehow help someone else someday. Thanks again to the best three wheeler source on the web!!!!

cwc
03-25-2012, 09:27 PM
Great! Good for you. Glad you figured it out.

atc007
03-25-2012, 10:12 PM
Great to here! And thanx for posting back!