PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Info?

Super350
03-21-2012, 12:11 PM
Just wondering if anybody has or knows where i can see pictures of inside a Tiger Rotax engine.

Vealmonkey
03-21-2012, 01:33 PM
What exactly are you looking for? The rotary valve assembly? There was a pic that
blue27 had of a 200 rotax engine that he thought was locked up. After he removed the side cover, he realized that a mouse had put a walnut down the intake and that it was just big enough to keep the rotary valve from turning, so it made the engine seem like it was locked up! LOL Also you have the early rotax aircooled engines and you have the later watercooled rotax engines. I think I had a side cover that was modded to fit an aircooled sled engine cover on a watercooled engine. That sidecover has a carb that is bolted directly to the side of the cover, not the typical above the sidecover intake of the rotax rotary valve engine.

Super350
03-21-2012, 01:48 PM
Looking for any and all pics really, just curious to see whats on the inside, never seen a rotary engine, thanks

fabiodriven
03-21-2012, 02:00 PM
Looking for any and all pics really, just curious to see whats on the inside, never seen a rotary engine, thanks

They are not rotary engines. They have an intake rotor that times the intake of fuel, but a rotary engine (Wankel) is a totally different animal.

Super350
03-21-2012, 02:07 PM
This is why i wanted pics, i didnt think they were true rotary engines...was arguing with someone the other night about it. Still, any pics or further explanation would be great! Thanks

HondaHarry
03-21-2012, 02:32 PM
Thought I had pics of the disc itself, but I guess not.
Heres some scans from the Manuals, and some pics of the engine I had apart to clean up.
If you find a small enough potato and drop it in the carb while its running it will spit potato
chips out of the exhaust. lol
The way it works, is when the piston travels up, the disc exposes the port and allows fuel/air in,
as the piston begins to travel down, it closes the port and sends the fuel/air into the transfers, and
on top of the piston, Reed Valves do the same thing, but use the vacuum and positive pressures
created to open and close, where the rotary valve is purely mechanical.

fabiodriven
03-21-2012, 02:34 PM
As opposed to a Wankel- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6BCgl2uumlI

Super350
03-23-2012, 12:38 PM
thanks for all the great info guys

blue27
03-23-2012, 02:24 PM
here are the pics Vealmonkey was talking about

Vealmonkey
03-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Yes, those are the pics. A fine shot of the rotary valve or rotary plate. Notice how thin the plate is. Also notice with the walnut barely protuding, that it prevents the engine from turning. Pretty crazy eh?