PDA

View Full Version : Can I use this 200x brake piston?

wonderboy
03-19-2012, 09:29 PM
So DRKCYDE and I are rebuilding the front brake caliper on his 200X. We know about the replacement calipers from other machines, but want to try cleaning up the original.

In pushing back the piston into the caliper, the c-clamp punched through the outer face of the piston. We though it was toast, so we gave up. Later, I totally disassembled the caliper and poped out the piston and realized that the part we punched through was just a sort of pad on the front surface. The piston is still totally sealed up and intact behind the cruched part.

So, basically, does anyone see a problem using this? It obviously needs to be cleaned up, but should it still be ok to use?

audioworks04
03-19-2012, 10:08 PM
The damage you did to it, is probably minor and would be fine to use, but looks like it might not be salvageable in other ways from what i see in the pictures it looks very rough.

wonderboy
03-19-2012, 10:21 PM
Yea, the rest of the piston isn't the greatest... the pics do make it look worse than it really is, though. I'm going to see if I can clean this thing up before ordering any other parts.

EarlyBronocGuy
03-20-2012, 09:39 AM
If there aren't any large gouges or scratches on the outer surface (where the seals ride), it should be OK once you clean it up. Small scratches can usually be taken care of with fine sandpaper (800 - 1000 grit), the important thing is for the outer diameter of the piston to have as smooth a surface as possible to prevent leaks between it and the seals.

atc007
03-20-2012, 09:44 AM
Total garbage. Do not even consider using it ! Yes,,,it could be polished and shoved in,,but it will never be right. At the least,,have it rechromed !

wonderboy
03-20-2012, 09:24 PM
Total garbage. Do not even consider using it!

I think you guys are right... it is pretty rough. Given the cost of some of the replacement calipers from other machines (don't have the thread, but from a dirtbike) it probably isn't worth the trouble.

Thanks for the opinions, guys.

ctk
03-21-2012, 05:27 PM
the front brake from a 80cc honda late 1990's I think. Direct bolt on except you lose the parking brake. I run this setup on my 84 200x that I had up at rose city last year.

Dirtcrasher
03-21-2012, 09:41 PM
It does look like junk.

Many I can wrap paper around and gently chuck them up in my lathe, then flip them and do the other side. But thats just very light scratching that super fine emery cloth and WD-40 take care of. I love the CR plastic or resin type pistons.

They don't move much throughout their life in a set of decent pads.......