PDA

View Full Version : Rear bearing's on a 200x

BiGDawG
03-18-2012, 10:31 PM
I know this has probably been asked a million times but how hard is it to replace them? anyone happen to have a video? also what are the best 1's to get, note i do ride in water / mud a lot so i guess i need to get use to changing them lol

also if i don't replace it soon enough and it break's will it hurt anything as long as i quit riding when it happens?

tri again
03-19-2012, 01:14 AM
Wish I knew.
The caged rollers and bolt removal on the 'r' models can be complicated
but I sold my x before it got bad.
The sx models were complicated but not bad.
I also did NOT take apart 1/2 the stuff the manual said to.

Left the tires and brake cables etc on it and just weaseled the swing arm bcak enough to get in there.
Saved lots of tedious time.
Can you find a manual in the 'world class help' section
or try the search key?

With most bearings, local bearing suppliers can be absurdly cheaper.
It's nice to get the numbers off the old ones but they can usually cross reference.

BiGDawG
03-19-2012, 03:08 AM
I forgot about the manual lol i'm pretty sure i have it saved on my laptop, i found All Balls Rear Axle Bearing Kit on rocky mountain for $24 might just grab them

hillbilly 200x
03-19-2012, 06:34 AM
Bearing and seals are all the same its what you do to them that makes them last. I repack the bearing with greas befor i put them in because they never put enough in when they are made. It isn't hard to change them I think I can change mine in my X in abour 15min now. i will list step my step how to change them. please remember that i can't speel very good but i will try my best.
first of all you have to get the back of the bike off the ground. I have put my bike in the back of a truck or trailer and let it roll back so the bike is hanging over the side with the frame setting on the edge of the trailer then sptraped the front down. Remove both tires to make it alittle easyer, unbolt the rear brake cal... there are two 8mm bolts (12mm head sizes) then remove it. Next remove the right hub I think it is 1'' or 1-1/16" I can't remember right now. onces the hub is off remove the axle jam nuts I have always put a prybare or something through the sprocket to jam it up again the swing arm and a big adustable wrench will work (please do NOT use a pipe wrench) after the nuts are off you have to pull the brake rotor and hub off it should slid off. To remove the axle put the nut on back wards that hold the hub on and get a freind to hold a 2x4 or a 4x4 pice of wood and hammer the Eff out of the axle. it should move if not your in some trouble and you may need some other tools (heat). To remove the bearing you will need a long driff punch and a hammer. I put my finger inside the bearing and try to fell if there is any little collars that go with the long spacer inside the carrer. If there is any little collars on one side then that will be the side you start from. pry down on the large collar until there is abit of a lip on the bearing on the other side. Put the punch on the lip of the bearing and start hammering until it lossing up enought for the collar to losses up enoughtso that you can move aounrd the inner race of the bearing with the punch. onces the seal, bearing and collar are out use the punch and hammer and remover the other side. Befor you put it back together go over the axle and carrie and clean all the rust out of it, and make sure you grease the hell out of it as it goes back together. put everthing back together as it came apart and you should have no problems.

Nick_R_23
03-19-2012, 06:39 AM
This is from memory, so it'll be kind of a quick rundown.

Jack the trike up and support it so the rear wheels are off the ground.

Remove the rear wheels and wheel hubs.

Remove the rear brake caliper, and e-brake cable and brackets if necessary. Tie the caliper off out of the way to relieve stress from the brake line.

Remove the set screw(s) if equipped from the axle retaining nuts, then remove the retaining nuts. This may be easier with the bike in gear and possibly a helper to help hold things.

Remove the rear brake disc and hub assembly from the axle.

Remove the drive chain and slide the axle out from the carrier.

Use a seal removal tool to remove the seals from the carrier, being careful not to damage the carrier bore.

Use a punch or slide hammer to extract the bearings from the carrier. Install the new bearings, taking care not to damage the ring seal. Also make sure the bearing spacer still has slight play between the bearings to ease sliding the axle back in place.

Install the outer seals, take care not to damage them. Apply a small amount of grease to the inner lip of the seal before reinstalling the axle.

Installation is reverse of removal. Consult your manual for proper torque specs.

yamaha driver
03-19-2012, 08:21 AM
its easy it took me 2 hours from start to end. Would have been quicker but my swingarm got chewed up on the right side from a bad bearing so i had to sand/grind down the lip for the bearing to come out. i didnt use a seal removal tool i just pounded the bearings out which pushed the seals out... just make sure you do like a 4 point hit so it goes out straight. top,bottom, both sides. once they come out use a block of wood and pound the new bearings in straight. they will not go all the way in with this method so you have to take the old bearing and place it on the new one. then use your block of wood and pound them puppys in. add some grease to the seals and press those in and your done

jb2wheels
03-19-2012, 08:53 AM
Axle bearings are pretty easy.
Swingarm pivot is not. They do not like to come out of the arm.

BiGDawG
03-19-2012, 12:03 PM
Thanks for the run down's i'll order the bearings soon and give it a shot

BiGDawG
03-25-2012, 02:06 PM
Wondering if some 1 could help me out on this i don't want to buy then find out its the wrong 1.. it don't say anywhere that its for the front or rear.. all i see is for 1 wheel, been trying to find a way to contact the seller but no luck

http://www.amazon.com/All-Balls-Wheel-Bearing-25-1317/dp/B003O6H0PU/ref=au_pf_ss_3?ie=UTF8&Model=ATC200X|16894&n=15684181&s=automotive&Make=Honda|59&Year=1984|1984&carId=004

EDIT nvm i found a way to contact them