PDA

View Full Version : 1985 ATC 110 continuously fouling plugs

drummer4321
03-17-2012, 06:55 PM
Hi
I just bought 2 three wheelers today, a 1985 Honda atc 110 and a 1979 atc 70. I started playing around with the 110 and got it to run. it runs good, but like the guy i bought it from said, it fouls plugs. if i turn it off, i have to take the plug out and clean it before i can start it again. Any ideas on what could cause that? i'm thinking it might need new rings.
Also, it has the hi-low sub trans and i cant seem to get it to work in the hi position, but it runs in the low setting.
If anyone has a digital copy of the manual that would also be much appreciated. I will get pics up here soon.
Thank you in advanced.
-Michael

1984 honda 200s
03-17-2012, 11:40 PM
First off, does it smoke when running? If so what colour?
Whats the condition of your spark plug after running it? Is is just dry black or wet black or puffy black?
Either of those top 2 answers will tell us if its burning oil...(new rings and valve stem seals might help) If not then it could be from running rich, if so a simple carb adjustment might be nessisary to resolve your problem.

dougspcs
03-18-2012, 06:52 AM
Check engine compression..you got a burner!!

drummer4321
03-18-2012, 08:54 AM
thanks for the responses, it doesn't really smoke, maybe a little white smoke if revved high for a while, but i wouldnt really say it is smoking.

Whats the condition of your spark plug after running it? Is is just dry black or wet black or puffy black?
the spark plug is a combination of wet black to dry black, but mostly wet.

i never thought about it running to rich, maybe that's the problem. if it is, how do i adjust the carb to fix that?

sooper doodie
03-18-2012, 10:02 AM
check the air filter and check your float height and make sure your float isn't sticking. If that doesn't do it, you'll have to start playing with jets

beets442
03-18-2012, 11:14 AM
check for weak spark also.

oscarmayer
03-18-2012, 01:13 PM
do a complression test, then rebuild the carb. you probebly got worn carb parts that are allowing it to dumb fuel into the engine. This is a common problem. rebuild kits withthe correct "preformed" bowl gasket usually run about $25 shipped from ebay. and have all the parts you need.

drummer4321
03-19-2012, 09:08 PM
thanks for all the response, so today i took the carb off, and cleaned it up. It runs a whole lot better now. I still have a few problems though, invlolving the transmission. The first is the sub transmission doesn't work in high gear, but is okay in the low setting. any ideas on how to fix that?

also, the transmission makes a little noise every once in a while, but im not sure if that's the hi-low or the actual transmission. i dont mind working on the sub transmission, but don't really want to open the bottom end of the engine up unless nescessary.

Thanks