PDA

View Full Version : SHHhh wife doesn't know I got one yet. ;)

oscarmayer
03-12-2012, 08:11 PM
ok over the weekend I locked down a 85 350x. I have been chasing good deals for a very long time, well my time finally came!!!! origional owner was the grand dad, and the dad then the son. The son (closer to my age) decided he did not want to fix the bike (not running due to fuel left in system and it varnished up the tank and carb is my diagnosis when checkign it out). Anyway long story short, I am the 2nd owner and will get title!!! also the bike has NEVER EVER bad any major work at all. the top end has never been appart nd it has never had a clutch replacement! Here's the kicker, mostly garage kept, so the plastics are near mint!!!!!!!! 2 small cracks on the front fender rears are nearly spotless! anyway, They are holding it for me till I get back from movign to Cali from Texas and then i'll have it.

Before we get started, I'm not restoring this to show room. it's getting a "refresher" for riding and using for fun.
so here's my questions:

front forks are shot. i can push down 1 handed and nearly bottom them out. Recommendations to resovle this? (upgrade to 250r forks? rebuild these?)but the rear shock is mint and works flawless!!!!!!
Rear bearing carrier is ok, but the bearings have some play so time to replace them. should I get a whole new carrier or just replace the bearings? (my first 350x so if replace carrier what i need is the name of some good stuff) (Is the 85 and 86 the same carrier? seen some nice ones on line but they mention only 86 not 85)
front brake line has the origional clear sheeth still on it. it's cracking off and messed up, but the rubber is mint under neith. my guy says to replace with SS but should I?
should i replace the front bearings too while i do the rears. sounds dumb, but i usually don't replace them unless they need them. Thoughts?
swing arm bearings feel solid no play, but should I look to replace them anyway to ensure nothing is rusted together and what not cause on the 200x, I always replace no mater what for a peice of mind. but is the 350x more stable?
fuel tank is original fairly clean has a coupel of dents. it is fixable. should I just fix it or get a clark?

being my first 350x i have owned, (worked on a few but never owned one myself and msot of the work was engine related) i want to make sure it stays trail capable for many more years.

Thorpe
03-12-2012, 08:14 PM
Hope your couch is comfortable.... Wife is gonna be pissed!!

Jason125m
03-12-2012, 08:24 PM
1. I would recommend rebuilding the 350x forks! Its a fairly easy job, if you have never done it, i have a very detailed write-up about how to do them. ( on the other computer, of course.)
2. Just replace the bearings with a well known, proven brand. OEM is best, but i've had goodluck with all-balls bearings.
3. Keep the OEM brakeline. It will be fine for years to come! Replace when necessary.
4. Hold your knees on the front tire, and shake the bars with your hand. If there is any play, replace! If not, no need to do them just yet.
5. The pivot bearings are something i would recommend doing regardless, they tend to seize, so it is better to do them to make sure that they will come apart next time too!
6. If the tank only has a few dents, I would fix it. But, if you really don't want to fix it, you could go to a Clarke tank. The only problem with them is that it will not stay white for very long if you leave gas in the tank when it sits.

CRAZY70MAN
03-12-2012, 08:37 PM
pics pics!!!! :pics::pics::Bounce:p:drool:

oscarmayer
03-12-2012, 08:47 PM
Jason125m, Thanks a ton! grate info.
Don't have photos yet as I only went to look at it yesterday and purchased it. (hold deposit and will give rest when I return) Sorry guys, I didn't think to take some photos. :(
Sorry lonts happennign in my life so it's hard to remember to do everything. I'm jsut very lucky to have found this bike. i'm gonna really take are of it and jsut enjoy the hell outta it! :)

oscarmayer
03-12-2012, 08:51 PM
naw thrope, it was either $1000-$1200 into a 350x (with parts needed to get it working good) or a new yami YZF450 ($7k) so i think she'll settle. :D

RoscoW
03-12-2012, 10:10 PM
I'm with Jason as well
Rebuild the front forks, New OEM seals and wipers, good fork oil, if the springs are sagging a bit some plastic spacers to take up some slack. I personally would replace rear axle, front wheel and swingarm bearings and seals with new. That way you absolutely know you are in good shape for years to come. Tank is cosmetic, It won't make it run better or last longer and can be replaced or fixed when you decide to spruce it up.
While you have it apart for bearings is a perfect time to inspect /replace / lube all the other wear spots the previous owners may have neglected, chains,sprockets,brake pads, caliper pins etc.etc.
You'll know the machine is capable and up to whatever you put it thru and not have to worry about that "one item" you didn't look at.
Enjoy the machine and the doghouse.

Ross..

wonderboy
03-12-2012, 10:39 PM
I'm with the other guys: try to rebuild the original parts as much as possible. I'd do the front wheel bearings too (like the other said above). I also second the opinion on checking out other spots, even if you aren't replacing anything. Case in point are the brake calipers. The caliper slide pins really should be greased so keep them from seizing up. Same with the rear pivot bolt. Even if you aren't replacing the swingarm pivot bearings, it would be a good idea to remove it, and coat it with anti-sieze, then reinstall.

Also, the top mount bolt for the rear shock will benefit from the high moly content Honda grease (60% moly).

I'm not a fan of the aftermarket plastic gas tanks. One of the drawbacks of the plastic is that you can't keep stickers on them (the gas fumes permeate the plastic and mess up the adhesion).

You gotta post pics once you get it!

Dirtcrasher
03-12-2012, 10:44 PM
It's gonna be a long haul; But worth doing. If there is any play, replace the bearing.

And yes, clean those forks spotless and install new OEM seals.

If the tank just has a dent, pull it out. I'm very pleased with the 2 IMS tanks I run........

Just tighten that beyatch up!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mohadib
03-12-2012, 10:46 PM
I might take off the rear fender if they are super nice. Get a cheap cracked one from ebay or some such. Then sell the OEMs. Sad to bust up nice OEM plastic. Might as well sell it to someone for their garage queen. Good luck with the new trike.

:beer

Shorty
03-12-2012, 11:11 PM
86 and 85 carriers are not the same. If the slots in the carrier aren't all messed up from dummy's taking a punch and hammer to it, keep it and just get some new bearings and seals. Get OEM if possible.

threewheelin-feelin
03-12-2012, 11:45 PM
86 and 85 carriers are not the same. If the slots in the carrier aren't all messed up from dummy's taking a punch and hammer to it, keep it and just get some new bearings and seals. Get OEM if possible.
true but i have a 86 carrier in my 85 ..the aftermaket sprocket someone put on before i got the bike was flat on one side and countersunk on the other side..i went to the hardware store and found me some bolts with small heads on them and it worked great...so the 86 does work in the 85 you just have to find a sprocket with countersunk holes...and either find bolts with small enough heads to clear it...or buy the 86 countersunk bolts

oscarmayer
03-13-2012, 01:15 AM
yea, i'm thinking about what threewheelin feelin said. (i read about the bolts and using the 86 sprocket. i'll inspect the 85 sprocket if it's worn, then 86 setup it is, if not then I'll jsut do bearings.)
ok forks, i'll redo as recommended and do swing and front bearings too. good point on the brakes.i will also probebly repalce the steering stem bearings ith a cone kit. smoother, stronger and easier to deal with.
Thanks for the advice guys, as mentioned i've worked on them, but not done them for myself and msot work was motor work, so i just want to make sure everything I do is on par with correct. and i know i'll ge pics soon. Actually i want to keep the origional plastics, but I will get a set of crappy ebay ones to keep these nice ones for anotehr time when I restore the bike. one day i may do a ground up jsut to do it, but now now, it's for fun.

oscarmayer
04-28-2012, 08:56 PM
ok boys, I jsut picked the 350x up about 30 min ago. i have not gotten pics yet, but will post some tomorrow (if the wife don't gut me like a fish first).
it's in decent shape for being all origional and all. i even got the title signed over to me and everything! yea i got it from the origional owner!!!!

muthey
04-28-2012, 09:23 PM
with your thought on the tank I myself would buy a clark replacement, and keep the original stored, after pulling the dent first lol. I look at it as if it is going to be used and used well keep what's nice nice and get replacement while you still can so when you need it you still have the oem tank.

kristofrogers
04-29-2012, 01:19 AM
can't wait to see some pics, epic find!

oscarmayer
04-30-2012, 12:59 PM
well the wife verbally abused and beat me and then left me alone after taking her to the beach for a shopping spree. ;) see it's all in the planning. i played the humble i'm sorry dear, yes dear, you can do all the shopping you want dear and she was happy. hahaha

ok we were in a rush to get it into the storage unit, so I will have to go get photos this week, I do have the title signed over tyo me and everything! it's pretty sweet! has the oem front tire still (it is cracks on the side so it won't hold air very long) and the pads have never been changed nor the chain as it's all factory. even the front brake like still has the plastic shield over the rubber on it. it does need some work, but it's all there. this one was ordered with the upgraded rear grab bar (sorta like a 6-pack one but much shallower) it looks liek it has the rear of the frame slightly tweaked form the 1 accident the bike took they told me about. i can fix it. (me runs to get sledge hammer. LOL j/k! I will have a frame shop straighten it for me to ensure it's dead nuts perfect when the time comes) I am also gonn a get a gusset kit for it so i can ensure no cracks in the frame occure and check for any ones that mught be there. I had honestly thougth about ripping into the motor, but since it's all origional and the onyl time it had a even a valve adjsutment was jsut after break in when origionally purchased, i am thinking of leaving it alone. I will take a can of wd40 and spray it in the plug hole to ensure the rings are not sticky and break down any build up while it sits till I get it running.

the clark tank, hrmmm interesting thought but i am not sure i want to spend another $150 on the tank. the tank is the least of my worries, the originoal fenders being in awesome shape are more important to me. right now. since the stock tank is dented, I may look at later getting a good used oem and saving that and use the origional one w/o fixing the delt. I would like to ride it for a bit before i tear it down for complete refresh. I wonder how a stock 350x will compair to my hopped up 200x? the 200x has been called "the beast" by several including some dirtbike riders as even with their 450s on the track they were not able to pull me at all. they were supprised to learn it was just a 200cc and not a 350 or bigger. (i woudl power slide the corners and start to pull away form them then hold the distance till i slowed for the next corner. at some point i was nearly 1/4 track distance as i would continue to slide in the corners pulling away due to holding speeds) Now I don;t know how good a rider they were but there were 4 of them and i was chasin my son who's 125ss runs about 18hp and is fast as heck! even with that it was all i could do to stay with him that little squirt!!!