PDA

View Full Version : 85 BR Front Wheel Bearings

Fonzi
03-11-2012, 05:57 PM
Now that I have composed myself after 3 hours of hammer tossing, finger pinching, pen oil up to my elbows frustration, :mad::mad::mad:, any suggestions for removing front wheel bearings from my BR? My bearing puller can't get a bite because of that spacer pipe on the inside of the housing. The service manual isn't a lot of help, " use a commercially available bearing puller to remove". Calling on any compadres with more years of wrenching than I. Thanks.

andersonee4
03-11-2012, 09:29 PM
Heat. Get a torch and heat the aluminum around the bearing. Little love tap should pursuade it out. If that doesn't work, dremel it out. I have some bearings if you need them, no seals though.

Fonzi
03-11-2012, 09:33 PM
I didn't know if that would mess up the shaft, to the store I go. Thanks. BTW know any good places to ride in Westenr Iowa?

250Eddie
03-11-2012, 09:36 PM
have u gotten the shaft out or is it still in there, also i just changed the bearings on my BR and i had to hit them a few good times to break them loose, so if u have a sledge hammer i would take a few wacks at it with it.

andersonee4
03-11-2012, 09:51 PM
I haven't got a clue man. I am from Maine originally, here for a few years. in Maine, you go wherever you want and hundreds of miles of trails. Here in Iowa, there is a very poor selection of trails. There are a few clubs around, but small parks mostly. Check out http://www.iowaohv.com/ for parks in IA. And i dont know if it would hurt the shaft. I assume it wouldn't. You dont need to heat it till its cherry. Just get it hot, and try not to screw up the journals.

wonderboy
03-11-2012, 10:33 PM
My bearing puller can't get a bite because of that spacer pipe on the inside of the housing

Here's what I do:

1. Pop out the grease seals / shields on the bearing so you can see the cage and balls. (just in case you don't know, the cage is the metal or plastic piece that holds the balls all uniformly around the bearing)
2. Knock the cage out with a punch, old screwdriver, etc. Just bash it out of the way.
3. With the cage gone, you can move all the balls to one side of the bearing. Shove them all tight to one another.
4. With the balls all on one side of the bearing, now you can pop the inner race out, and then the balls.

This will now allow you to remove the spacer tube and drive out the bearing on the opposite side. All that is left is the outer race of the original bearing. You can either use your puller or just bang on it from the other side with a drift.