PDA

View Full Version : Your best trick for getting your trike in the back of your 4x4?

Fox250R
03-10-2012, 12:11 AM
I got a Tacoma 4x4 on 31s with a 2 inch lift... I dont have any probs getting my R up in the bed but the front end always turns on me and leans to one side... Just moved my R to my place finally but sometimes i wont have any help to get in up in my truck...

I never had these probs until i got my 2 inch lift hahaha :) Any tips would be awesome!!

mohadib
03-10-2012, 12:15 AM
buy a ramp? :D

Fox250R
03-10-2012, 12:17 AM
Thats too easy lol

Red Rider
03-10-2012, 12:47 AM
I always back my truck (Ram 3500 4x4 4" lift & 34" tires) into the driveway and let the rear wheels settle at the junction of the street/driveway, which lowers the tailgate height significantly. Once I get the front end of my 250R onto the tailgate, I roll the bike forward until the engine skidplate makes contact with the tailgate. I make sure the handlebars are centered, then I grab the grab-bar & lift the rear end up, while rolling the bike into the bed. Usually I can't get the rear end high enough for the rear tires to clear the tailgate, so I just lower the bike down & set the swingarm skidplate on the tailgate. Then I re-position myself below the grab-bar & lift the bike up, using my legs, so that the rear tires are raised high enough to clear the tailgate, while rolling it the rest of the way into the truck bed.

Removal is basically the opposite, except I don't need to set the swingarm skidplate on the tailgate. Just lift up the rear end, pull the bike out until the front wheel is on the tailgate, and then lower the rear wheels to the ground. Then swiftly pull the bike backwards, by the rear grab-bar, so the front fender doesn't catch on the tailgate as the front wheel free-falls to the ground, and the 10.8" of front suspension travel soaks up the hit.

Easy peasy, quick & easy ;)

JasonB
03-10-2012, 12:59 AM
Best trick; buy a trailer that's low to the ground! That's what I did lol

Or just always ride with a friend who can help. Those ramps are great too, fold up metal ones or the tips you can get that bolt to a board.

dcreel
03-10-2012, 02:08 AM
Put your tie straps from the handlebar to the peg on each side. Tighten them so the front wheel is straight. Pick up front wheel and sit it on the tailgate, pick up the rear preferably with help and put it in the bed of the truck. Loosen straps at footpegs attach to tie down points in bed on each side and tighten.. Done.. I too back into ditches or the street/driveway rightaway or the sidewalk.. I used to own a 1980 Toyota 4x4 with 10" of lift and 38" swampers.. lol

Nick762
03-10-2012, 06:11 AM
I got the same prob with my 97 GMC Sierra 6" lift on 35s. I've yet to find a ramp long enough so I'm not driving up a 90 degree hill hahah.

whyzee
03-10-2012, 06:48 AM
+ 2 on dcreel's way.

Angore
03-10-2012, 07:33 AM
Put your tie straps from the handlebar to the peg on each side. Tighten them so the front wheel is straight.

X - 3 ^ Or you can go from the bars to the rack ( if you have one ) .

86ATC 250r
03-10-2012, 10:10 AM
i have a little bank in front of my house i put the tail gate down and back up to it and i drive my trike or quad right on it. same with un loading. and when we go ride some where i find another bank and if there isnt one i jus use the grab bar lower it till it hits the skid plate gently and then slowly lower it to the ground and pull the rest off. either way works for me. but i will be investing in a trailer soon so i can haul both my wheelers

chrisand4
03-10-2012, 10:12 AM
If you don't have a ramp or a bank handy, dcreel's way works the best.

powdiddy
03-11-2012, 03:28 PM