atc110
11-14-2003, 09:58 PM
what do I do to the carb if the spark plug turns black after I run the wheeler

bbechtel16
11-15-2003, 02:22 PM
Lean it out

200Xtreme
11-15-2003, 03:43 PM
A black plug means its runnin' too rich. You may have the choke stuck on, needle and seat stuck (high float level), or if its been messed with it could be jetted too rich.

atc110
11-15-2003, 08:39 PM
how do I fix it?

TimSr
11-16-2003, 12:33 AM
If this is on a 4 stroke, there can be several causes. Has it always been like this, did it start suddenly, or did it start out slight and slowly gotten worse over time? If it was okay at one time, and now its not, its not a carburetion problem. If its always been that way, it might be. If its started slight and gotten steadily worse, it could be worn rings or top end. Does it burn oil? Does it smoke after its warmed up? When did you last clean your air filter? Clogged or restricted air filter or exhaust can cause these types of problems.

200Xtreme
11-16-2003, 08:56 PM
It sure could happen suddenly, and be a carb problem!!!!!! A piece of dirt could get lodged in the needle and seat, and flood the carb. causing the richness/black plug!!!

TimSr
11-16-2003, 11:30 PM
A needle and seat not working would be easily detected by the puddle of gas under it each time you shut off the motor and left it sit for 15 seconds or so, and would not cause it to run rich unless the bowl's overflow tube also happned to be clogged as well. I guess its theoretically possible. My comments were aimed at the immediate impulse and suggestions to change jet sizes. Carbs do pick up dirt and need cleaned from time to time, (though Ive never seen a dirty carb cause a rich condition) but once a carb is dialed in, jet sizes never need to be changed unless some other component has changed, or environmental conditions have drastically changed.

200Xtreme
11-17-2003, 09:07 PM
Yeah Tim, Thats why I said if it happened all of a sudden, It's not jetting. Sometimes if a really small piece of dirt gets lodged in the needle/seat assy, the engine will run rich at idle and lower throttle settings. When ran at higher throttle openings the engine can use the fuel faster, and it will temporarily clean itself out. As for a dirty carb causing a rich condition, I have seen it many times. The air bleeds get plugged with dirt causing the carb to suck more fuel!! This is why I agree with you on carbs needing periodic cleaning.