PDA

View Full Version : the 250r build is starting...

Downrangecop
03-07-2012, 10:31 PM
So it's been a few years since I did a full, frame up resto. I either forgot what a pain in the ass it is or had a momental lapse in sanity and decided to do another one. So here she goes.

About 2 years ago, I picked this 85 250r up from my (then) uncle in law. He bought it brand new in 85, romped the hell out of it, sold it to a buddy then bought it back. After a near fatal wreck and near full recovery (As good as you can do from being airlifted and in a coma for 3 weeks), he rode it once and sold it to me. He swore it only had one fresh piston in it and it was original bore. He did put a barnett clutch, but that was about it. I fiddled with it, swapped the carb for an 86, rebuilt the brake cylinders, put an FMF and Uni filter on it, and swapped the cracked headlight. That was about it. Oh yea, and rode the holy hell out of it. Thats what got me here. The top end started weeping green fluid. Then a buddy of mine fried the clutch when I let him ride it. I figured now is as good a time as any to tear her down. So here is what I started with.

142342 142343

I pulled the engine, swapped the clutch and found the clutch rod was frozen. Sent it to my mechanic and he found the rod welded itself to the clutch actuator arm rod... good times, eh? New parts are en route, and I told my builder to warm her over. My mechanic called, not to trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailpro about the clutch rod or anything else. He wanted to tell me how bitchen that engine looked. Original bore. He was blown away! He gave the bottom end a once over just to take a look, being an old school two stroke guy.

So here's the to do list: As of right now-
she's getting a full port, boysen reeds, and a new barnett clutch.
Taking the whole bike down to the frame
Cleaning up all the welds
New Pro taper bars
Clarke tank
New Maier plastics
Full (except frame) blackout treatment
New frame color (top secret for now)
New repro decals (in new colors, of course)
And new rear tires and rims (Front one is great, just gonna refinish it black)

Here she is now

I'll keep you all updated as she comes along. It won't be overnight, but I'm planning on wrapping it up before season starts around here for Pismo (May-ish). Also always open to positive feedback and suggestions.

By the way, I'm still looking for a good set of footpegs. Mine have about 7 degrees more downward tilt than stock. No bueno :wondering

mohadib
03-07-2012, 11:59 PM
Good to see another trike getting some love. What is a blackout treatment?

Downrangecop
03-08-2012, 02:20 AM
Painting or coating everything flat black. Was going to powedrcoat but riding in the rocky so-cal desert chips powedrcoat like crazy, so everything accessible to roost get a proper set of 3 coats primer and 5 coats flat black. It does wonders, and cleans up with another coat. I'll do everything, rims, fork tubes, swingarm, axle, hubs, and controls.

Gripit'n'ripit
03-08-2012, 10:13 AM
It'll stick out. Keep us updated!

dirtjunkie85
03-09-2012, 06:41 PM
That sounds like a lot of fun! I'd like to see a picture when it gets done. maybe give me some ideas.

JasonB
03-09-2012, 06:56 PM
im interested, i love blacked out bikes! soundsl ike it wasnt in bad shape before the tear down too. In for updates!

Downrangecop
05-14-2012, 06:51 AM
OK guys know it's been a bit, but the motor is officially done. Went with the LED setup, and couldn't be happier. Arlen at LED is amazing, and has forgotten more about 250R motors than the rest of this forum can put together cumulatively. I asked for a "Works" style pipe and this is what I got. I was absolutely floored at the sheer beauty of this thing. I recommend him whole heartedly and without reserve. If you're thinking about doing an LED pipe, act quick. He said he only has a few left and he's done.

146867146868 146873
So when my engine builder went through the motor, he called me right away to tell me how lucky I was. Check out the shots of the original piston. First one is great, second two... not so much. I lucked out in that the clutch went right before the piston split in half. Probably wouldn't have finished the ride we were on.

So I started putting everything together. New bars are on, new all white plastics and bearings are in but not mounted up. I'm gonna break-in the motor and get it settled in before taking it all back down for paint and powdercoat. So don't pay attention to how crappy the plastics or tank look. Nice thing is it's all original. No hack jobs done on this baby.

I think I'm going to keep this set of rims gold, and do my second set of rims in black powdercoat. I'll paint the motor with a coat of POR-15's black velvet.

Still looking for a set of footpegs that aren't bent. If anyone has a line on some or just has an idea to make some, let me know. I can't ride hard on these at all.