PDA

View Full Version : I want to freshen up my bike before late spring

Jcode
03-07-2012, 09:44 PM
What's a good checklist of things to check and do on my 83 200 auto x before riding season is here. I just bought it and have a couple things to do already.

-Figure out why rear brake lever does nothing even though its stiff
-Get whole front brake
-Clean up the carb, appears float might be stuck
-Replacing fuel valve, notice lines get wet soon as theirs gas in it
-Replace fuel lines.
-Fix pull handle, its broken in half. Damn thing is BEGGING to gouge my hand.
-Attempt to get exhaust up in proper spot as I see tire rubs it on suspension compression.

I'm thinking I want to somewhat strip the bike down and replace things to have a good reliable bike to ride. Do not want to restore the bike, just get it ready to go.

Keeping in mind I do not have a great place to work on the bike, but I do have place to keep it indoors and work on it but no work bench or area I can leave the bike for months in parts. Also not heated.

What bearing's can be checked and replaced? I don't want to remove half the bike to replace a couple bearings for preventive maintenance right now, but would like to check if they are bad.
Any engine valve adjustments that would be easy enough to check.
Should I go consider pulling the motor and cleaning it up?

I'm handy enough. I could pull apart my sled and rebuild it ground up if I had the proper place to do it (and it was my own shop). I'm just sick of nearly everything I buy used is basically a fight all summer (or winter if it was a sled) long. So while I got the time, I want to checked into everything and have a running bike no matter the day, time, or temp.

Where does everyone buy their parts if they go new? I can ebay stuff all day if I'd like, but somethings are better bought new.

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd390/thejcode2/3%20Wheeler/c9fd146a.jpg

http://i1217.photobucket.com/albums/dd390/thejcode2/3%20Wheeler/1c619aa3.jpg

yamaha driver
03-07-2012, 10:18 PM
go to denniskirk.com GREAT PEOPLE working there, shipping rates are lighting fast and every part for it that is reporduced

Yamaha_Rules69
03-07-2012, 10:22 PM
I have owned my auto X for over 10 years, and it has been by far the most reliable machine I have owned, and the most miles put on thus far. Some things to check right off hand: wheel bearings front and rear, I have replaced the rear bearings on my x at least 3 times over the years, especially the sprocket side, and that one is do again. To check them, stand on the pegs like you normally would, and rock the machine side to side, and look at the axle as you do. If there is play as you move it, the rear bearings are likely toast. Also check the front bearing by raising the front wheel off the ground and try to rock the tire side to side, by grabbing it at the top and bottom. Also make sure the chain is adjusted correctly, and that the two tensioners are in good shape. Remove the swingarm bolt while you are at it, and grease it real good, and check the swingarm bearings just like you would the rear axle bearings. Make sure the air filter is clean, the oil is fresh, and you have a good in-line fuel filter installed. If you keep up with the drivetrain maintance, and keep up on the oil changes, the motor is pretty much bullet proof to be honost with you. By looking at your machine, it would look nice with a seat cover, and would handle (turn) a lot better with a tire that was intended to be a front tire. I have used tires like that in the past, and there is no comparing imo. The tire I like best on the front of my 200x is a Kenda Front max, they are pretty cheap compared to others, and cost about 60 dollars.
A good place to buy parts new is denniskirk.com I have bought a lot from them in the past, and their prices are good, and they ship real fast. I have yet to have a problem with them. If the order is over 100 its free shipping, and since you dont live in MN, you wont have to pay tax I dont think. --- Jon.

Jcode
03-07-2012, 10:41 PM
Perfect info. I've ordered riding gear from Dennis kirk a few times. They get some closeout prices that are way to cheap to ignore. Get emails about them from time to time.

I got the Service manual downloaded from the site. May eventually print it all out and put it in a 3 ring binder to keep on hand. Closest I'd have the bike to work on is 15 minutes away, so be handy to have.

Start getting this stuff on my list to check. Better to have to start with and know how much I want to tear down. Also very helpful in pricing things out before hand so I can see wear my money should go.

I DO have the stock seat cover and another set of plastic (in background of first photo), but it got a few good tears in it. Eventually I will probably get the stock one repaired to clean up the look. Along with some new shock boots. Couple minor things to dress clean it up a little without going pricey on it. Are the seat covers on ebay any good? Seen a few seats covers with 200x stamped on the back like OEM.

Thanks for the tip on the front tire too. Thought it seemed a little on the lighter side of the traction scale for being a front tire.

dirtjunkie85
03-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Looks like it could use just some fresh parts but awesome bike! I use these guys for most of my 3wheeled needs. They don't have absolutely everything, but most of what I need to freshen up the bike! http://www.rockymountainatv.com