PDA

View Full Version : Fly wheel key

Nick762
02-15-2012, 01:58 PM
What's a flywheel key?

Does my 81 185s have a flywheel key? Is that why I can't take off the flywheel, because it's not lined up?

3wheelrider
02-15-2012, 02:16 PM
Yes, it has one. .The flywheel key or woodruff key is the little crecent moon shape piece of metal that sits in a slot on the crank. The flywheel opening has a little channel where that key slides thru thus aligning the flywheel in the correct position. It shouldnt have anything to do with you removing the flywheel. Why are you removing it -does it run? What are you using to remove the flywheel? Sometimes they do get very stuck.

Nick762
02-15-2012, 03:23 PM
Oh like a crank on a car. Makes sense, I was attempting to swap out the stator. I believe it's an electrical problem, making it not start. The threads are bad so the tool does nothing, and the damn thing just won't budge

3wheelrider
02-15-2012, 03:36 PM
I hope you were threading the tool in the correct direction... Its a reverse thread on the flywheel for the removal tool. Is it stripped or is the tool just coming to a halt?

Nick762
02-15-2012, 03:40 PM
I was the flywheel threads are shot

3wheelrider
02-15-2012, 04:13 PM
Not good....gonna be tough gettin it off - but it can still be done. I'd like to see others methods for removing one with damage threads. ....I've used a steering wheel puller it (starter cage removed)-can be done but has to be done slowly/carefully/methodically -I'ts kind of tough to do tho... dont recommend it...not sure what other options there are?

Nick762
02-15-2012, 05:07 PM
Ive been trying to find another way for awhile with no luck

yamaha driver
02-15-2012, 05:36 PM
get a 3 prong puller a big one. leave the cage on for the pull starter( might bend it might not mine never did and i did it plenty of times.) put your nut on the flywheel just for the thread reasons and tighten that till it pops, will always come off reletaviley easy, Do not use steering wheel pullers, i did on my yamaha and it pulled the threads out of the mag

3wheelrider
02-15-2012, 05:55 PM
...His flywheel threads is damaged already (So the flywheel should be replaced anyway) . The bolts tho have too be tightened evenly slowly/little by little/one by one, keepin it all straight is the key. (Again, not recommended & not easy- but it is a last resort method). You can try the 3 prong puller but the starter cage isnt very strong-I imagine it wouldnt hold up enough to get it off if the flywheel is really stuck.They Dont always come off easy. I'd like to hear other ideas. Let us know what works.

yamaha driver
02-15-2012, 05:57 PM
yea it pulled my 185s flywheel off that had a sheared key/ steering wheel puller might work but a 3 prong is easier

3wheelrider
02-15-2012, 06:12 PM
Youre right-its definetaly easier to try that... Worth ruining the cage too trying-IF it works!!!lol

yamaha driver
02-15-2012, 06:18 PM
not being mean but i pulled off about 18 flywheels with the cage on using this method and none of them bent the slightest bit. much easyer to buy a 8 dollar cage then a 50 dollar flywheel

3wheelrider
02-15-2012, 06:24 PM
I know the cage is cheap & easily purchased- thats what I meant by "its worth ruining it by trying if it works"-(again his flywheel is already ruined and shouldnt be put back -so he would want to replace it already)-if he did more damage to it using the s.w.p.-then it wouldnt matter right?- it just another option.....

yamaha driver
02-15-2012, 06:34 PM
o haha i read your post wrong. his flywheel shouldnt be ruined unless the key sheared and it took a chunk out of the stator. i never saw a bad flywheel yet, but i only had like 20 some 3 wheelers i worked on.

3wheelrider
02-15-2012, 06:42 PM
I was the flywheel threads are shot-

yamaha driver
02-15-2012, 06:59 PM
o i guess if he want to fix that.

3wheelrider
02-15-2012, 07:12 PM
I personally wouldnt put the same flywheel back, but yes-he could...but if he has to pull the flywheel again -then you risk bending the new cage with the 3 prong puller. I rather have it back to normal using the correct puller on an undamaged flywheel (with a new key)-but thats me. Stators are a common issue new or used so he may be removing it again in the near future so.....just sayin'

yamaha driver
02-15-2012, 07:20 PM
i agreee 100% since if the person that bpt my 250r flywheel on wouldnt have stripped the threads i wouldnt have sold it since i couldnt replace my stator. since idk if there is any way to get those off with out the puller