PDA

View Full Version : 200x timing chain noise / adjuster question

PAPA250r
02-14-2012, 11:49 PM
Have a lot of timing chain noise on my freshly rebuilt 1984 200x. It has a new. Timing chain i attempt to aadjust it but the noise dosent go away . I do have spring action on the adjuster .

What gives ?

If the adjuster is broken can it be removed with out taking the head off ?

And risk of damage runnin it while its noisy.

Thanks for any help or ideas .

hoosierlogger
02-15-2012, 06:28 AM
Yes the adjuster can be accessed from the side of the motor.

The chain is likely slapping on the side of the cylinder and head. Over time it will chip away some of the aluminum and find its way into the rest of the motor. I would take care of it as soon as possible.

WIkid500
02-15-2012, 08:12 AM
Are you sure it's cam chain making the noise not the rockers? The Adjuster that is like a bow you can replace without taking the head off. You need to remove the upper bolt that holds the adjuster on, then remove the flywheel to get the bottom apart. The guide on the other side you will need to remove the head to replace.

JJMF1979
02-15-2012, 12:39 PM
I have sort of the same issue with my 200m. I can hear a slapping noise but only when I give it gas not when it is idleing, and only for a second when i give it gas..... then it stops would this be the same issue? I thought it might be the drive chain being a little loose and hitting on the case that sourounds that chain that 200m's have since it only does it when I just start moving.....any ideas? I havent taken a close look at it due to unheated garage lol but am going to soon

JJMF1979
02-15-2012, 12:42 PM
Have a lot of timing chain noise on my freshly rebuilt 1984 200x. It has a new. Timing chain i attempt to aadjust it but the noise dosent go away . I do have spring action on the adjuster .

What gives ?

If the adjuster is broken can it be removed with out taking the head off ?

And risk of damage runnin it while its noisy.

Thanks for any help or ideas .

Hi Papa does your trike make this noise while idleing?

PAPA250r
02-15-2012, 01:17 PM
Thanks for the information if its a broken adjuster im glad i dont have to pull engine/head to swap it

Yea im positive it is the chain because the noise changes when i fiddle with the adjuster . I did check the valves also.

Jjmf1979 -

Yes mine does make the noise at idle basically at all times . Sometime the cdi/ spark advancer can make wierd noises also .

JJMF1979
02-15-2012, 02:22 PM
Thanks for the information if its a broken adjuster im glad i dont have to pull engine/head to swap it

Yea im positive it is the chain because the noise changes when i fiddle with the adjuster . I did check the valves also.

Jjmf1979 -

Yes mine does make the noise at idle basically at all times . Sometime the cdi/ spark advancer can make wierd noises also .

ok thanks, then hopefully it is just the drive chain that is a little looose for me......easier fix....it is a chain slapping sort of sound I was hearing

Scootertrash
02-15-2012, 02:24 PM
Did they rebuild the complete motor or just the top end?
When it was rebuilt did they install a new chain or use the old one?
Did they install new chain guides or use the old ones?

See the link below for these two questions:
Are both of the wedge shaped pieces (number 10) inside the adjuster hole? Take the adjuster out and see if there are two metal sleeves that have a wedge cut on one end. A small magnet will come in handy here
Is the spring for the adjuster arm (number 5) located properly so it applies tension to the adjuster??

http://www.servicehondapsn.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=117447&category=ATVs&make=HONDA&year=1984&fveh=2805

PAPA250r
02-15-2012, 04:18 PM
It has a new timeing chain and old guides just the top end was rebuilt . I took the left cover off and pryed the adjuster up with a screw driver its nice and quiet now. For some reason the self adjuster dosent work on its own anymore .

Scootertrash
02-15-2012, 06:53 PM
PAPA,
Look at the link I posted. You need to find out if the spring (number 5 in the link above) is properly hooked on the arm (number 4 in the pic above). That spring is what pushes the adjuster arm up when you adjust the tensioner shoe. The hook of the spring should be hooked under the arm and the straight leg of the spring will rest against the case, I believe there is a lip or ledge that it rests on. The bolt that holds the arm to the case goes thru the loop of the spring.

ETA: Did you follow the procedure in the manual for adjusting the chain? Loosen the big nut on the adjuster, not the little one, right?

PAPA250r
02-15-2012, 07:33 PM
thanks ..... i did check out your link and everythings where it should be . and i did loosen the big adjuster.

what i did to quiet it down was loosened the adjuster and pryed up on the adjuster with a screw driver with the left cover off then tightened adjuster nut. its nice and quiet now . :-)