PDA

View Full Version : Kinda engine rebuild..

Nick762
02-14-2012, 12:21 AM
On a scale of 1-10, how hard is it to change the piston rings? Do I need to machine the cylinder? Or can I just change the rings?

Second question, since the motor will be out, how hard is it to change the shift shaft? Iono what it's really called, the shaft the shift lever mounts too.

just ben
02-14-2012, 01:16 AM
what is the engine?

Nick762
02-14-2012, 01:17 AM
My bad, it's a 81 185s

hoosierlogger
02-14-2012, 06:27 AM
piece of cake. You might have to machine the cylinder, just depends on what it measures, and what the bore looks like. You might be able to get by with just a hone. Shifter shaft is a snap to change after you take the side cover off it should come out pretty easy.

hillbilly 200x
02-14-2012, 08:00 AM
download the manaul and follow it step by step, take pic's if it helps you to remeber where stuff goes. The 200's are one of the easy engine to rebuild. Make sure you buy a good gasket kit PLEASE do not use silicone when you put it back together (you will need it for the rocker cover tho) It may be a good idea to change out your valve seals (comes with most gasket kits). Have fun with it, make sure you clean the out side of the engine really good so no dirt or mud falls inside the cases, and make sure you have a nice clean place to take the engine apart and put it back together.
Thanks Aaron

jb2wheels
02-14-2012, 09:59 AM
I did both jobs on an 84 110 engine. I'm not sure how it compares to the vertical engines.

The shift shaft was suuper easy. The top end was straightforward but you need to pay attention to things like where the dowels and o-rings go if you have them.

My cyclinder got a dingle-ball hone and fresh rings. I lapped the valves with grinding compound and gave it fresh valve seals.

First 4-stroke I've gone this deep on. It ran great when it was done. Easy to start, no smoke.