PDA

View Full Version : 3x3?

Jon Boy
02-10-2012, 12:29 PM
i don't have the means or money to do it, but i've had this idea in my head for a while now and suprised there's no thread about it. i know others must of had the same idea already. i could see something like this giving a 4x4 quad a run for it's money. :lol:
just take the front drive from a Rokon or engineer something similar to it. i figure a rigid would be the easiest, but add a roller tensioner and it could be mounted on a suspension fork. front needs to spin just a touch faster than the rear, so it'll pull itself through a turn and not push straight. i don't see why it wouldn't work. :wondering

ideas/opinions?

rodeofan5656
02-10-2012, 12:35 PM
it would work, but would take alotta fab work, money, time, and brains. lets see who can do it!!..... its funny, i was thinkin about that Rokon about an hour before i opened this thread, but had no idea what the name was til i read this! haha

blue27
02-10-2012, 12:41 PM
I found this at a swap meet last year (I did not buy it) but was told it was used on a golf course. Used a hydraulic drive for the front wheel.

rodeofan5656
02-10-2012, 12:44 PM
I found this at a swap meet last year (I did not buy it) but was told it was used on a golf course. Used a hydraulic drive for the front wheel.

thats quite a rig. looks like the mowers we use, with a strange front end :lol:

Jon Boy
02-10-2012, 12:47 PM
what the heck is it? a Deere? funky looking, but i like it. :lol:
just had one little problem pop into my head. the front would be a single speed, so youd have to set it up to work with either 1st or 2nd gear and have some sort of on/off switch or freewheeling device for it. dang, shot a nice little hole through that idea. :lol:

rodeofan5656
02-10-2012, 12:50 PM
what the heck is it? a Deere? funky looking, but i like it. :lol:
just had one little problem pop into my head. the front would be a single speed, so youd have to set it up to work with either 1st or 2nd gear and have some sort of on/off switch or freewheeling device for it. dang, shot a nice little hole through that idea. :lol:

what do you mean single speed? is there not a way to hook it up to the tranny? couldnt you use and "automatic" motor that doesnt shift? just some thoughts.....

Jon Boy
02-10-2012, 01:04 PM
right, single speed as in 1 gear. yes i think a variable drive would solve the gearing issue, but only variable speed 3wheelers i know of would have to be basicly basket cases. i don't think someone would want to use their "in good condition" Polaris Trailblazer for a trailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotrailprotr ailpro job like this. :lol:

swampthang
02-10-2012, 02:18 PM
3wd has been talked about sense prolly the first 3wheeler came out. I would imagine if trikes where still produced there would be some type of 3wd model today. I think this is prolly how they would be built if they ever made one. http://www.christini.com/bikes/christini-awd-450

schneed
02-10-2012, 02:34 PM
3wd has been talked about sense prolly the first 3wheeler came out. I would imagine if trikes where still produced there would be some type of 3wd model today. I think this is prolly how they would be built if they ever made one. http://www.christini.com/bikes/christini-awd-450

That is quite the technology to get that AWD system to work. I agree, if there were AWD 3 wheelers, this would probably would be how they would be built :)

Chazz of Blades
02-10-2012, 02:53 PM
The front wheel would have to turn slightly faster than the rear, otherwise you'd try and turn and get off balance.

Jon Boy
02-10-2012, 05:16 PM
dang, can't believe i forgot about that system, i watch endurance/arena stuff on speed. the ones where they race over rocks, mud, logs, tires and whatnot. there's atleast one guy in that series who runs one of those and wins a lot too.
thanks for the reminder swamp. :beer

yeah, gotta have the faster wheel speed up front. same for the bikes, if the front is spinning exactly the same as the rear then it won't turn and throw you to the ground. i figure the same for a 3wheeler, but you'd push straight instead of going down on your face. :lol:

Xpress
02-10-2012, 06:02 PM
Now if only they could adapt the hydraulic system to the rear as well, that would make for a very reliable system. No more chains to break.

I personally wouldn't mind seeing one. They've adapted it to sport bikes, why not adapt to sport trikes? Not just the utility bikes.

atc500x
02-10-2012, 07:02 PM
I want to built one for a long time now.Not so hard,trx300 4x4 motor to get the front output shaft and fit a hydraulic pump,and a hydraulic motor in the front wheel.....just don't find a good trx motor....

fabiodriven
02-10-2012, 07:10 PM
If anyone can do it, this is the guy.^^^

TatTooL23
02-10-2012, 08:14 PM
wow that is an awesome system. i have never heard of that. pretty cool stuff.

nstyle73
02-10-2012, 08:22 PM
"Christini" and think CRF, TPC conversion

86T3
02-10-2012, 08:37 PM
Finally a post that i know something about! You don't need to increase the speed of the front tire per say, you only need to allow it to speed up. Rokon have a spring clutch that lets the front tire turn faster than the rest of the drive line. You could modify a rokon if you wanted a 3x3 but you won't be setting any land speed records with it. Also, the driveline was designed with a 8-10HP motor in mind, start pumping more power through it and you're gonna have problems. Post #5 in this http://forums.delphiforums.com/rokon/messages?msg=15058.1 link has some pictures of 3 different ways to go about 3 wheel drive. Actually, i lied, the first one is 5 wheel drive, but you get the point. Enjoy

fabiodriven
02-10-2012, 08:40 PM
My god! It's been done!

Take a look at post #15 in the Rokon thread! It's hilarious!

Jon Boy
02-10-2012, 10:12 PM
man crazy stuff, that last one is pretty funky. the others are about what i was thinking, just the wrong machine used IMO.

riverrat
02-10-2012, 11:57 PM
I have been dreaming of doing a 3x3 for quite some years. Eventually it will happen. So far, from trying to think of different ways to drive the front wheel, I am thinking of going with a teleflex drive cable, driven off the rear axle, run it up through the frame, then to a gear on the front axle. Rigid frame of course. Will use a 110 with the hi-lo range for it.

86T3
02-11-2012, 12:36 PM
My god! It's been done!

Take a look at post #15 in the Rokon thread! It's hilarious!

lmao. I read that thread a while ago but forgot about that. The rokon guys are generally non 3 wheeler friendly. If you guys saw the 110 that the one guy cut up to make his hondakon you'd shed a tear.

Riverrat,if you're gonna go through all that trouble you'd be better off taking a putting a 110 motor in a rokon and then making it into a 3 wheeler. Neither of them have suspension but you have probably 6 inches more ground clearence with a rokon