PDA

View Full Version : What finish for my atc 70 tank

Daninmin
02-07-2012, 01:55 AM
I don't know what to do with my tank. I was going to powdercoat it, but thought that might be too permanent. Then I was going to leave it as my 8 y.o will probably scratch it anyway. Now I am thinking I should do something with it as I have the rest of the wheeler apart and I have a fresh por 15 tank liner in it. Thinking I might take a heat gun to the decals and remove them. Will this hurt the Por-15 lining? Then I was thinking I would drop it off at a buddy's body shop and have him put a nice coat of matching Honda red and clear on it. I would order new decals and install. I suppose if I did powdercoat it and decided I wanted to go with a different color a few years down the road I could have it hydro dipped with graphics or color of my choice. I'm too damn indecisive....what would you do with it? I don't want to make it too nice yet as my 8 y.o will be riding it or is that even more of a reason to go with powdercoating for durability?

Daninmin
02-07-2012, 02:01 PM
If I go powdercoat. It has to be blasted, correct? Sand, or is there a better media for blasting gas tank? If I go with automotive paint, what grit sandpaper do I finish with? Thanks

daniel_250r
02-10-2012, 01:51 PM
if you powder coat then yes it has to be sand blasted, also the paint should be gas resistant should you go that route

Bustos82
04-02-2012, 12:52 PM
did you ever powder coat the tank?

whitetail hunter
04-02-2012, 06:17 PM
if you powder coat the tank i think it will damage the lining that you put in it. due to the prolong heat of the oven.