PDA

View Full Version : which exhaust and why?

ringdingrider
02-03-2012, 02:31 PM
so im nearing the finish on my build on my 85' 250R and was going to buy the standard FMF setup. trike ran great with it before. but ive been lookin at the ESR ATC5 pipe and silencer setup. anybody have this and can vouch for it or????
not real worried about the price. this machine is basically all stock btw.
or are there any other pipe setups that are favored?

ringdingrider
02-03-2012, 02:54 PM
ive also ran a paul turner high rev pipe on my old trx250r race quad and loved it. so any info on the paul turner pipe and fatboy silencers would be great too. i do mostly very aggressive trail riding

ringdingrider
02-03-2012, 09:09 PM
81 views and no input??

RIDE-RED 250r
02-03-2012, 10:56 PM
I have the ESR setup, but I just installed it with my big bore about a month ago so I can't speak to how it performs yet. I know of some who have had problems with the chrome plating flaking off after very little run time. I have not yet had this problem, but I have only put about 4 heat cycles on my engine at this point.

ringdingrider
02-04-2012, 03:49 AM
I would like to try a different setup since everyone I ride with runs the fmf setup. I will either do a esr pipe and silencer or the Paul Turner with a fatboy 2. not sure which though. the atc5 from esr looks like it really sticks out like a big tumor...do you have any pics of it installed?

ringdingrider
02-06-2012, 12:36 AM
come on guys inspire me here

RIDE-RED 250r
02-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Let's see.... That's about the best pic of the exhaust installed I have at this point. My brother's helped me put it all together and they installed the exhaust. I recall they had to slightly modify the skid plate, but I didn't pay too close of attention as while they were installing the exhaust, I was on the other side doing coolant hoses, carb, etc.... It was alot of fun for the 4 of us ganging up on this build once I got the engine assembled!

My ESR pipe is clearly a bit fatter as I have noticed my boot has a tendency to almost rub the expansion chamber when I'm getting set to kick it over. Also, the taper going from the cylinder to the expansion chamber is smoother in transition and longer. It comes out of the cylinder and curls farther toward the left side of the engine before swinging back around to the exhaust side. All in all, it's a good fit other than a little modification to the skid plate. Silencer mounts up better than the FMF too...

Give me a couple of days and I'll roll her outside and get some better exhaust pics. I also have several pics of it with the FMF setup on it I will post for comparison.

brapp
02-06-2012, 07:45 PM
find yourself a good paul turner high rev and fat boy 2 silencer my oppinion the best you could find. my 2nd choice would be the esr atc5 pipe

ringdingrider
02-06-2012, 09:07 PM
i personally loved my paul turner on my quad. the atc pipe looks ike it just sticks out too much for me and seems like it would be an all out bottom end pipe that would lose power at the top. ill be goin back n forth on the 2 for a bit here. i like the way the paul turner hugs the machine better.

BWard
02-06-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm a Dyno-Port guy, Klemm or If you can find a Krause Racing, Selvy. I like my Selvy too.

RIDE-RED 250r
02-06-2012, 10:37 PM
I'll let you know how my setup works when riding season rolls back around and I can get it broken in and jetted in.. ATC5 pipe is advertised as a mid-top pipe.

Now with my old setup on my mildly modded stock cyl, I could feel the power turn off like you flipped a switch when approaching top end RPM with that FMF setup. Looking forward to seeing how my intake and exhaust works with the 350BB.

pantera1975
02-06-2012, 10:41 PM
Here is the ESR pipe I had I returned it, the plating peeled off in 30 min us use. It was a great preforming pipe. I still have the silencer. Its got the spark arrestor screen and I had esr make it 3 inches longer than normal. PM Me with a offer I'd like to get rid of it. Its too loud for trail use. My FMF turbine core already got me a ticket so esr promised me this one would be quiet and its not. Im gonna build a silencer. Other wise if you dont think you will ever get stopped the esr silencer is nice. I Had mine set up with a 12 pack of super trapp disks to quiet it down.

Dirtcrasher
02-06-2012, 10:50 PM
How can they charge so much and do so little plating?: frustrates me!!

ringdingrider
02-07-2012, 12:33 AM
hmm i do like the esr silencer, but if yer gettin tickets too i might be screwed. we get stopped almost every year when we ride the sled trails up north in the winter n theres an area near me that i ride at ocassionally that are always checkin sound.

i believe im gonna try the paul turner pipe. may even do the factory finish. so i may stick with the whole paul turner and fatboy2 setup.

ringdingrider
02-07-2012, 12:35 AM
all our machines were either borderline too loud or too loud altogether but we bs'ed our way out if it by convincing them that we could no longer get the stock exhaust systems due to the fact our machines are 25+ years old

Downrangecop
02-07-2012, 01:02 AM
Ride red,
the power was dropping off cause you have an 85 with the round slide carb. The 86 had the flat slide, and is more mid/top than the bottom/mid of the 85. Word is the 85 was built as an MXer, and when honda R&D'd the 86, they did it in the Mojave desert here in California. The result was the different swingarm, and a motor built for speed, not the crazy burst of power the 85 has. I've had 3 86's, and when I got my 85 I was amazed how bad it dropped off. Put the FMF pipe on it and swapped to an 86 carb and problem was solved. Runs like an 86.

RIDE-RED 250r
02-07-2012, 05:43 PM
Ride red,
the power was dropping off cause you have an 85 with the round slide carb. The 86 had the flat slide, and is more mid/top than the bottom/mid of the 85. Word is the 85 was built as an MXer, and when honda R&D'd the 86, they did it in the Mojave desert here in California. The result was the different swingarm, and a motor built for speed, not the crazy burst of power the 85 has. I've had 3 86's, and when I got my 85 I was amazed how bad it dropped off. Put the FMF pipe on it and swapped to an 86 carb and problem was solved. Runs like an 86.

I see your point, but here is my old setup: ESR 38mm AirStryker carb, 1Dir racing reeds/cage and torque spacer, CR head gasket, bored .050 (not that it matters much) and the FMF Fatty with Powercore silencer. The thing was a beast up through midrange, but dropped off like the flip of a switch up top.. I think the stock cylinder porting played a part in that as well. I was considering getting the stock cyl ported, but ended up going big bore. Still have that engine set aside for my quasi stock 250r build....:naughty:

My thoughts are that overall, the torque spacer, stock porting, high compression setup and exhaust all together limited the topend pull... I think I have that issue resolved now...at least on paper anyway! :lol:

RIDE-RED 250r
02-07-2012, 05:45 PM
all our machines were either borderline too loud or too loud altogether but we bs'ed our way out if it by convincing them that we could no longer get the stock exhaust systems due to the fact our machines are 25+ years old

No BS there, that's the truth of the matter....

Makes me glad NY has virtually zero exhaust enforcement on ATV's... Sleds on the other hand, can't get away with anything aftermarket even if it passes the NYS DB limit test... Cop looks under the hood and sees anything other than OEM components, he starts writing the ticket.. Go figure.

ringdingrider
02-07-2012, 06:12 PM
pisses me off when I get stopped on my 2stroke when you can hear my buddies 4stroke fartin through the woods a mile away trying to catch up to me

pantera1975
02-08-2012, 08:41 AM
Yeah but the 4 strokes are quiet when idling. In Wisconsin no atv shall emit for than 96 db period. That means you cracked your pipe on a rock 10 min before you get stoped, youu na d a tool box attling with tools if its over its over. And their response is park it and come back and get it. The law is bs and too vague. The warden told me nothing will pass if its a couple years old we just get the older ones because people dont like the noise, then the next time we stop the speeders cuz people dont like the speed and so on everything is the #1 complant. The test is a bit strick how its done here. The gues on the western US for the most part have no restrictions or the rules are laid back there time is comming. They should start doing somthing now IMO.