PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z guys-How do I remove my coolant impeller?

Tri-Z Pilot
11-13-2003, 02:32 AM
I Just ordered my right side crank seal, and my waterpump seal, and I dont know how to remove the impeller to get the side case off (I am new to liquid cooled bikes). My 85 tri-z manual doesnt really give the steps, and I havent taken the side case off yet so I wanted to know before I open it up, how you take the impeller off. Does it spin off, do you have to reach in and take that pin out and pull the whole assembely out. I am going to take the side case off tommorrow and see what I can do if nobody replies before then.

sportvette
11-13-2003, 08:35 AM
my bro changed the seals in the 85 250r water pump.

the first time he tightened the impeller back on, he broke a fin off. so i bought another one for $10 on ebay and then we put it back on.

there is a universal holder, suggested for use by the oem honda service manual.

however, we didnt have the holder, so we held the impeller from spinning with a screwdriver, the first time, he was a little bit on the outside of the fin, so it snapped. next time we did it together, i held the impeller from moving with a screwdriver, made sure i was on it good, and he torqued it down.

for the 250r, there is just a nut that holds it on. not sure about the tri-z's.

TimSr
11-13-2003, 08:55 AM
You have to remove the kickstarter and side cover first. The impeller has a clip on the inside holding it in. Remember there is an allen bolt inside under the kickstarter when removing the cover bolts.

J.D.
11-13-2003, 11:40 AM
Naturally, don't forget to take the little waterpump cover off too before you slide the impeller off. Here's a word of advice too, if you're gonna do 1 crank seal, you might as well do both. Why do 1/2 of something only to finish it later when 1/2 will be worn and the other 1/2 won't? Just my 2 cents....

Tri-Z Pilot
11-13-2003, 06:21 PM
Hey, thanks for the replies! I only wanna stop the tranny fluid from getting in the cylinder. Reason I dont want to do both sides is when the seals start to give way again the whole bottom end is being rebuilt or replaced.

J.D.
11-13-2003, 08:39 PM
Well just something to chew on, if one seal is leaking, the other probably is too, and it hampers performance. Good luck either way bro!

Darius1502
11-13-2003, 11:52 PM
I just did mine this weekend:

Drain all radiator and tranny fluid, then:

1) remove right footpeg

2) remove kickstart lever

3) remove bolts around kick starter (should be 4 bolts)

4) pull out kickstart cog and assembly

5) Remove water pump cover so the impeller is showing

6) Remove all bolts on right hand case cover (should be like 8 or 10)

7) Remove bolt under kickstarter. It should be an allen bolt that is actually not visible unless you remove the kick starter cover.

8) Pull off case (make sure nothing falls out like a washer

9) Remove clip which holds the plastic cog on the old impeller shaft. Dont lose it and watch it because it can fly off

10) pull off the plastic cog

11) Remove the pin which goes through the impeller shaft

12) Watch for the washer between the pin and the case half on the impeller

13) pull out the old impeller shaft

14) change the seal (be careful)

15) put in the new seal

repeat process...

Hopefully I did not forget anything....I am sure Tim Sr. will let me know.

Also get new seals for everything and check the oil level.

I fixed this and put some super cooler coils on my radiator lines. Also removed the thermostat. My 86 Tri Z ran like a bat out of hell this weekend. I was hitting powerslides in 4 gear...I was very impressed with the low to mid range on this great motor.

I liked it much better than the 3 250R's I have ridden.