PDA

View Full Version : I Need Your 2 Cents Worth About 350X Stock Exhaust vs Aftermarket, THANKS!!!!!

TennesseeATC
01-31-2012, 12:38 AM
1st let me say I did do a search about 350X exhaust and didnt get the answers I was looking for. I have a 86 350X, stock. When I got it the previous owner removed the baffle and silencer- spark arrester and the part underneath at the rear that is held on by 2 bolts to help in cleaning out built up carbon (as I understand it). I got a new cover and gasket and 2 bolts to replace my missing parts at the end of the muffler underneath (sorry I cant recall the correct term). The price of the baffle was alot (I dont remember exactly) so I thought Id try my 86 250R baffle that was replaced by a Supertrapp (apparently I got rid of it a long time ago). I asked my Honda dealer about running it without the baffle and he said "Honda spent millions developing a system that worked". At this point Im thinking Id like to find a good used baffle-missing innards and put it back like it was when it left the factory ( IF ANYONE HAS ONE PLEASE LET ME KNOW). Id like to hear your opinoins about this and if I should even consider an aftermarket muffler/exhaust, and if so which one. I have heard many people talk about how important the jetting is so PLEASE let me know exactly how you have changed yours for the better. THANKS AGAIN EVERYBODY!!!!!!!!

350XJEDI
01-31-2012, 12:49 AM
:DI love my 85 350x ,I took the cobra exhoust off and put a stock one back on , much better the cobra was to loud :crazy:, honestly cant tell the diff, power wise :rolleyes:, I did'nt change anything else ,seems to work fo me .imho use a stock one :idea:,the 250 sx muffler is almost the same or get a xr350-400 muffler cut the baffles and weld on yours, worked good on my 200x:cool::Bounce:Bounce:beer

350xx
01-31-2012, 03:29 AM
Homemade=25$, Aftermarket=100-300$, stock=free.

oldtime3wheeler
01-31-2012, 07:04 AM
TennesseeATC,
I may have what you are looking for. When I got my X it had an aftermarket header welded to a stock exhaust. The joint where they both meet was messed up on the exhaust. I had to cut them apart. I run an older supertrapp now which I love. I think I still have the old exhaust. I will check today when the sun comes up.

wonderboy
01-31-2012, 08:31 AM
I also run the stock exhaust. I prefer the quiet over the potential power gains (which I don't think is that huge). I was in the same boat as you... my stock exhaust was missing the exhaust baffle. It may take a while, but you'll find one. Running without it for sure will reduce the backpressure a bit and maybe give you a bit more power, but it does change the tone of the exhaust a bit.

Be sure to use some anti-sieze compound on the two screws that hold it in (the exhaust cleanout lid too). This way, if you choose to run without it at some point, you'll be able to get the screws out.

One other thing to note: if you ride in any public land, govt land (ORV parks), or some private off-road parks, they will typically require a spark arrestor, which the exhaust baffle is a component of. So, if they actually check, you'd have to have it installed.

TennesseeATC
01-31-2012, 08:57 PM
Thanks for the feedback guys. oldtime3wheeler, did you get a chance to check for your old exhaust? Have any of you made any jetting changes? If so what did you do? Thanks Again....

dustrunner
01-31-2012, 09:26 PM
way back in 86' i cut the big part of the muffler right at the point where it reduces to get the silencer and pulled all the internals out and welded it back together. and to this day its still going strong and has a ton of fun filled miles. but ;)thats me good luck....

brapp
01-31-2012, 11:25 PM
another option is find a stock 450r exhaust and headpipe i cut the bend off the 450r headpipe to get the bends to clear the frame and mounted it up to my 350x in litery about 5 mins quiet good flow and looks nice.

blkstangman88
02-01-2012, 03:42 PM
Check out my 430 build. I installed a dmc comp full exhaust for a 400ex. Only had to cut n weld two spots

KgoX
02-01-2012, 09:06 PM
I am also looking for a baffle for a 350X but at this point I will also take a ATC250R baffle or a baffle out of a XR650L or any other baffle that has the same exterior dimensions.