PDA

View Full Version : Need an ATC90 Wiring expert! Please help

Super350
01-26-2012, 05:12 PM
so i cannot figure out the wiring diagrams i've seen ( im bad at those things) and this is my first 90 and everything was disconnected when i got it. I tried hooking up everything already...seemed simple enough, but once together i had no spark. I know this is asking alot but can someone look at these pics and tell me where to plug what???

Here is the headlight set-up. The harness comes in at the top of the red bucket, the gray sheething w/ blk and green comes from the on/off switch. And whats up with the blue wire off the light going to nowhere??

Next stop is further down the harness. Notice the middle green wire in uper right of pic has a clear and half white covering

This is the ignition coil/ condenser. notice green wire with white grommet on it.

Lastly from the engine. The blk and yellow are from the stator and the green (covered by white) is from the points

Also how can i test things like the on/off switch, ignition coil/condenser, stator and such? I have a multi-meter. THANKS

vintagemotorsports
01-26-2012, 06:40 PM
Ahh this is an easy one ,
on the harness under the frame there are 2 break outs one with 4 wires 2 black, yellow and green those go to the engine there should be on the statotr a double black connection one for each black and a single yellow connection for the yellow and the green wire connects to the single green wire from the points plate. now the other group of wires should be 2 green and a black these are all hooked to your coil , condensor assembly the green wire with the white paint on it goes with the green wire with the white marking on it the other single green hooks to the female connector on the coil also green and the black hooks to the single black wire on the coil.

now under your headlight the main harness will enter this has 4 wires a triple female green, a double female black a single yellow female and a brown male the single yellow female hooks to the single maile yellow on the switch the single brown male on the main harness hooks to the single female brown on the switch the black hooks to the black healight wire and the green hooks to the green the white wire on the headlight switch hooks to the white on the headlight the blue wire on the headlight is not used that is your high beam the atc90s only have 3 positions on the headlight bucket engine off / headlight off / headlight on . looks like you have a pieced in wire on the main harness wires for the coil but you should be able to figure that out . i have new harnesses i sell for the 90s if you need one as well as everything else .

good luck mike

Super350
01-26-2012, 07:26 PM
well as long as you take the 1 green wire coming from the coil (the 1 without a white stripe) and plug it into the female green off the condenser, Thats exactly how i had it. So, next question. How do i test if the coil is good and can i test the condenser? I tested the stater and it was peaking at like 14 volts when you pull it over. THANK YOU MIKE by the way.

vintagemotorsports
01-26-2012, 07:41 PM
I can tell you coils almost never fail more times than anything the only bad thing on the coil is the spark plug end is junk and grounding out condensors do fail though I would put a new one in while you are there you have to pull the engine to get to this stuff so replace this stuff now its cheap and will assure its good for a while 9 times out of 10 the points and or condensor are bad also check your stator leads where they exit the engine case they are known for breaking there as well