PDA

View Full Version : Just What I Needed!!

rodeofan5656
01-25-2012, 04:03 PM
so i got back in the shop today to pull the bearings and axle from my '86 200x. yesterday i found the threads screwed up on the axle end. and when i pulled the axle out today...... son of a....

this is what happens when you buy a trike from someone who rigs the hell out of it. it was already welded once where the break is. so im usin the lathe to make a piece to TIG weld in where the break is, since the first weld wasnt good at all and screwed up the whole section

ill keep you posted on how it goes......

P.S. if it doesnt work, does anyone have a carrier they could let go cheap?

JJMF1979
01-25-2012, 05:08 PM
Don't let it get to you thats the name of the game with these old trikes that stupid people rig up, I have ran into a few surprises with my 200x but there is always a solution.....just keep plugging away

aldochina
01-25-2012, 05:31 PM
very cool that you can even attempt to fix that one. i want a lathe, i just dont know how to use one! lol.. would like to see more pics of your set up!!

Dirtcrasher
01-25-2012, 07:07 PM
Is that aluminum your turning? with a carbide index-able bit??

I don't think you'll ever be able to repair that properly.

The axle spacer between the bearings has to be the exact inside dimension or the bearings fail.

If either bearing surface is not absolutely parallel to the other side, the bearings will fail.

You have access to a lathe; Either A) build a new carrier preferably on a CNC lathe, or B) Get a used 300EX carrier and axle and all thats needed is a small circular spacer on the right side which you can turn out of 6061 very easily.

rodeofan5656
01-26-2012, 11:22 AM
Is that aluminum your turning? with a carbide index-able bit??

I don't think you'll ever be able to repair that properly.

The axle spacer between the bearings has to be the exact inside dimension or the bearings fail.

If either bearing surface is not absolutely parallel to the other side, the bearings will fail.

You have access to a lathe; Either A) build a new carrier preferably on a CNC lathe, or B) Get a used 300EX carrier and axle and all thats needed is a small circular spacer on the right side which you can turn out of 6061 very easily.

yes, i know this. the collar/sleeve/spacer that the axle goes thru, which is inside the carrier, will still fit and still hold the bearings. ill get pictures in a couple hours when i can get in the shop again

rodeofan5656
01-26-2012, 11:25 AM
very cool that you can even attempt to fix that one. i want a lathe, i just dont know how to use one! lol.. would like to see more pics of your set up!!

the lathe is an old one ive got here in the school. id be found dead in the water without it now. im pretty much just makin a 3in long piece of aluminum pipe to slide inside and weld the two pieces back together. ive already checked for clearance and made sure the collar that fits over the axle will fit and still hold the bearings. im gonna try TIG welding where i can reach w/ the electrode, and JB weld everywhere else. unless i can find someone with a MIG set up for aluminum

rodeofan5656
01-26-2012, 12:50 PM
so heres the pictures of the piece and how it fits.....

descriptions in order-
1) the piece that we made
2) the axle collar fits thru the piece (to show Dirtcrasher im still usin the collar ;) )
3) it doesnt stick out so far to hit the bearing
4) gonna weld it like this, after removin the old jagged stuff

im plannin to TIG weld it where the electrode can reach, then usin JB weld where it wont reach. think itll work?

Dirtcrasher
01-26-2012, 07:05 PM
That is a massive gearhead lathe, I bet it has great tolerances on cuts lengthwise!

I'd kill for such a stout machine :D I think my spindle would snap off :lol:

rodeofan5656
01-26-2012, 07:35 PM
That is a massive gearhead lathe, I bet it has great tolerances on cuts lengthwise!

I'd kill for such a stout machine :D I think my spindle would snap off :lol:

im sure the school would sell you this one! it goes down at least once every two weeks (i have no idea what breaks or why). they get tired of messin with it. theres plenty of dents from thrown wrenches and metal pieces, plentya character haha

rodeofan5656
01-26-2012, 07:37 PM
is JB weld even advisable? bein in a small town all the guys say just slap some on. but some others on .ORG say no

Dirtcrasher
01-26-2012, 07:54 PM
I'd never use the stuff aside from an emergency. Do it once, do it right!

Hey, they can throw all the wrenches they want at that lathe, that thing will suck you arm in. Thats no lathe for pussies!

And ALDO, if you see this, you'd have no trouble running a lathe. Very simple machine, basic knowledge and reading turns you into a machinist :D These trikes are old and you can get away without being 2/10ths of a thousandth of an inch on a cut. Just gotta be careful........

tx200m
01-26-2012, 08:18 PM
I ll let u have my old carrier for shipping if u want it. It is cracked in between the slots for adjusting. You could probably fix it. Pm me if u want pix of it.

Scootertrash
01-26-2012, 08:19 PM
Are you going to try to weld it inside and outside? Looks good so far.

ETA: Check yer emails. I sent you an email since it seemed the PM system isn't working

rodeofan5656
01-30-2012, 11:06 AM
thanks to some very smart guys on the site and a school shop, i get to start weldin the carrier together today. ill post pictures of the steps i do

JasonB
01-30-2012, 12:03 PM
good luck with that repair, its not uncommon for carriers to break like that. The carriers from both the 83R and 86R i have had/do have now both had the carriers split like that. I think I have billet carriers now, work great.

Seems like you have a good handle on what your doing too! I have watched Sprock do magical things on his lathe, those things scare the crap out of me! rip your arm off if you got too close :O

and ps dont use JB WELD WHATEVER YOU DO!!!

rodeofan5656
01-30-2012, 03:56 PM
good luck with that repair, its not uncommon for carriers to break like that. The carriers from both the 83R and 86R i have had/do have now both had the carriers split like that. I think I have billet carriers now, work great.

Seems like you have a good handle on what your doing too! I have watched Sprock do magical things on his lathe, those things scare the crap out of me! rip your arm off if you got too close :O

and ps dont use JB WELD WHATEVER YOU DO!!!

:lol: im not usin JB weld, dont worry. im gonna get this one fixed good enuf to last until i can get a RAD Mfg. carrier for it. that means i gotta save $299.95 plus shipping :( but those carriers are better than stock, soo....

JJMF1979
01-30-2012, 05:21 PM
im sure the school would sell you this one! it goes down at least once every two weeks (i have no idea what breaks or why). they get tired of messin with it. theres plenty of dents from thrown wrenches and metal pieces, plentya character haha

I know what brakes it......a bunch of young kids messing around with it......no offense to you though rodeo

rodeofan5656
01-31-2012, 01:09 PM
I know what brakes it......a bunch of young kids messing around with it......no offense to you though rodeo

its not that they mess with it, it just gets used almost nonstop every school day. its gettin worn out i guess. and being as old as it is, its time for a new one