PDA

View Full Version : 200x Cal-Fab Ex-New York State Racer (Tim McCary)?

bkm
01-24-2012, 04:38 PM
Long story short my good friend bought this bike in 1986 or 1987 from a guy who purchased it directly from a racer named Tim McCary. He supposedly raced out of New York State. Its a '85 200x that has been converted to a quad using Tecate 4 front suspension around the year 88-89 so my buddy could keep racing it after the ban of '87.

I remember this bike about 15 or so years ago and it would flat haul the mail for a little 200. It has a FTZ ported head and 12.5:1 piston, Sparks exhaust, and a FTZ modded carb. But back then it was just a goofy bike that I paid little attention to.

Well fast forward about 13 years or so and ever since I got back into trikes I have been trying to get the bike from him to return it to its trike glory. Well he has finally given in on one condition. I only get from the swingarm back including the H-Trac's, and extended axle and in return I am trading him a '95 300 fourtrax and I have to put a stock swinger and axle in the 200x and make a nice little trail bike for him. He also somewhere has about 3/4 of a missle short trac kit for it that used to go on the bike back in the day.

Enjoy. I'll take way better pics when I get it home next week or so.

http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/bkm1168/200xparts002.jpg
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/bkm1168/200xparts003.jpg

I also spotted some cool old decals on one of his parts totes.
http://i58.photobucket.com/albums/g248/bkm1168/200xparts001.jpg

shortline10
01-24-2012, 05:24 PM
Very cool story !!!! more pics please .

bkm
01-24-2012, 05:38 PM
Very cool story !!!! more pics please .Will do next week when I get it home. I know there are guys who bash the conversions but I think this is also a part of our sports history. My buddy Joe told me that when he bought it he picked it up for a song because at that time it was basically worthless in so many peoples eyes. The guy he bought it from was devastated when they banned the trike racing because he paid a pretty penny for the bike in '85. Two years later and its all over.

If the bike hadn't been converted it probably would have been cannibalized and who know what would have happened to it. The conversion kept it around for many more years to come and now parts of it will live as a trike again.

Its really cool to watch him light up when he talks about it and he know that for what he wants to do with it now the swinger and axle aren't practical.

atc007
01-24-2012, 05:45 PM
Awesome! I love it. These are in fact a very real piece of our history! VERY nice piece Bryan!

dcreel
01-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Awesome.. I love stories like this about the good ol days... I'll be waiting patiently for more pics... Looks nice.. I kind of like the old conversions.. They hold a piece of our history as well..

bkm
01-24-2012, 05:49 PM
Awesome! I love it. These are in fact a very real piece of our history! VERY nice piece Bryan!Thanks Bill. dcreel said he was building a oval track in his back yard and I told him if you build it I will put together a bike and bring it on out, well this looks like a good start.

bkm
01-24-2012, 05:53 PM
Awesome.. I love stories like this about the good ol days... I'll be waiting patiently for more pics... Looks nice.. I kind of like the old conversions.. They hold a piece of our history as well..You posted while I was doing so.:lol: Here is the start Doug, I also got a set of Maier Lowpro's with the deal. He could of swore that he had an old Hoosier Tri Trac from when he bought it but its long gone. I wish I had a scanner because he has pics of it when he got it and its bad ass looking. I also have his '85 "R" that I'm gonna put back together for him. Its sporting a short track kit and som cool othe goodies but that will be another build thread all on its own.

dcreel
01-24-2012, 05:54 PM
Sounds like a good time Bryan.. And the track will be ready... Woot!!

Dirtcrasher
01-24-2012, 07:48 PM
Man, this stuff is better than when the Pilgrims landed!! :lol:

Vealmonkey
01-24-2012, 07:52 PM
Missle kit? Do say. Tell me more. For sale?

yooperman
01-24-2012, 09:05 PM
awsome just plain old awsomeness

bkm
01-24-2012, 09:47 PM
Missle kit? Do say. Tell me more. For sale?He's still trying to locate all the things he's had scattered around for the past 20 or so years. I asked if it was a complete kit and he said it was the hubs front and rear, the tires and wheels, but no nerfbars. There has been a lot of stuff misplaced/loaned out/never returned to him over the years so I'm not holding my breath on the missle kit.

BWard
01-25-2012, 10:47 AM
Awesome, Just plain Awesome, I use to race with a guy, I thought his name was Tim Mcarthy, Very fast rider, I have a couple of pictures with both of us racing.
Again Great Find, and will be a fun build. Enjoy.

BWard
01-25-2012, 10:48 AM
Awesome, Just plain Awesome, I use to race with a guy, I thought his name was Tim Mcarthy, Very fast rider, I have a couple of pictures with both of us racing. And you have Low Pro Rear Fenders For a 200X makes it even better.
Again Great Find, and will be a fun build. Enjoy.

tecat-z
01-25-2012, 06:57 PM
Very nice arm for the 200x, and worthy of building a bike around.

bkm
01-25-2012, 07:05 PM
Very nice arm for the 200x, and worthy of building a bike around.Thanks Ed. I still havent forgot about the hardware plating, but the polishing is coming along slowly. I plan on kicking it in the rear before too long.

Louis Mielke
01-26-2012, 09:27 AM
That makes 3 200x calfabs known of on 3ww. I'd be so curious to know who else has one stashed away that isn't talking about it.

xrider
01-26-2012, 01:07 PM
That makes 3 200x calfabs known of on 3ww. I'd be so curious to know who else has one stashed away that isn't talking about it.

I'd like to know the same thing. It would be good to find out production quantities for each of the models that CALFAB offered. Didn't Jason200x use to have one as well?