PDA

View Full Version : 250r engine build question

Scratt
01-20-2012, 02:13 AM
Hey guys, so I have an 85 250r and I got a transmission from a member off this site and the i spun it over putting it through all the gears and everything seemed fine. I had to transfer everything from my old transmission to my new one (stator, clutch, counter balancer, kick starter assembly and gear shift lever). Now that I got all of that on I spun the motor by hand cause it doesn't have the top end on it and when I spin it, if looking on the counter balancer gear, about every quarter turn it grabs like it has compression but it doesn't have the top end on it. This is the first time doing this and I went by the manual on everything so I am just wondering if this is normal before I go any farther then having to rip it all apart again.

Tyler 54
01-20-2012, 02:40 AM
Did you have the crank shaft out?

Scratt
01-20-2012, 02:55 AM
Nope never split the case just added on what was stated above

ceaserthethird
01-20-2012, 03:30 AM
You'll want to inspect the whole bottom end, split the cases...

Red Rider
01-20-2012, 04:17 AM
Is it making any strange noises when it starts to grab?

I would try removing, 1 component at a time, everything that you added to the bottom end. Try rotating the engine over by hand after removing each single component, until you find the culprit. You've either got a bad component somewhere, or you assembled something incorrectly. Hopefully the disassembly will reveal the issue. Good luck.

Scratt
01-24-2012, 12:43 AM
Well I started taking pieces apart and when I moved the counter balancer gear I felt it grab so I took it out and I felt around where the bearing goes into and there seemed to be a weird lump where the bearing sits in. I might take the right case off my old transmission and the left case from the new transmission. Is there much tricks on splitting the case? It seems pretty stubborn but I heard of using a steering wheel puller to split the case but I just don't want to damage anything. Any suggestions? Also my cylinder seems to be stuck to the bottom end and I tried hammering around the head with a mallet but it didn't seem to do a thing any tips there as well?

Xowner
01-24-2012, 02:02 AM
Why split the cases for the counter balancer bearing? pull the stator cover off, flywheel, stator, and then counterbalancer cover bolts then from the right side knock the cover out and replace the bearing and or cover!

Scratt
01-24-2012, 03:04 AM
I marked it out in my picture I don't know what the bump is but its like a little ripple and I checked my old case and it was smooth

Dirtcrasher
01-24-2012, 07:45 PM
You said "it felt like it had compression" and this is an engine without a cylinder??

Did you mean, it feels like it's binding in a certain spot?

No 2 castings are identical, IDK what your doing wrong. Take the counter balance out and make sure the crank is smooth, then make sure the tranny shifts and is smooth. Put back on the counter balance gear and run it all by the rod and see if thats smooth.

I am thoroughly confused :lol:

WilliamJ
01-24-2012, 08:14 PM
Sounds like the bearing housing is out-of-round and is distorting the bearing. Although usually it is very difficult to get a bearing into a housing that’s oval.

With the damage to the bolt lug it may be best to use a new housing - even if you can get the housing round again there may be hidden damage.
Bill

Scratt
01-24-2012, 08:33 PM
Dirtcrasher - yes that what I mean with it binding in a certain spot haha sorry its tough to explain but the tranny shifts just fine with no binding its just on the counter balancer with just that in I turn it and at one spot it gets extremely tough. I don't know if its from the bearing housing with it being not round but I might just split it which sucks cause i was hoping I didn't have too

Dirtcrasher
01-24-2012, 09:19 PM
Be thankful that the 250R is one of the simplest motors out there.......

The important things are knowing how to install bearings; What to push in, what to pull in, what to heat or cool, where the stator seal gets seat 5MM past flush. All stuff from reading and the Service manual.

How to install bearings in cases, on shafts and in housings is CRITICAL!

Because your case bolt is broke, something may be out of whack. I wouldn't want to run that case anyhow. You can easily check for roundness with an inside gauge (or have a shop do it) but that case doesn't look so hot anyhow.

bannedbrraap
01-25-2012, 03:39 PM
Does it bind using the kick start? or just turning it over by hand? I would take everything you put on the engine off and start over. Dont worry about the transmission at this point. Make sure the crank rotates fine with very little effort to turn it. Put the counter balancer gear on the crank and make sure you have the spacer in behind it. then install the counter balancer (make sure you line up the dots on both gears. now try to rotate it again by hand...should still rotate very easily. also if you dont have the kick start shaft installed properly it will feel like the engine is binding.