PDA

View Full Version : Erratic revving question

Afrothunderkat
01-18-2012, 05:44 PM
Question: My trike will rev up then down, up then down when i hold the throttle steady in any position. sometimes it will cut out when ridding too, similar to shuting the switch off while under load... Is the trike too lean? stock carb stock jets, float height is in spec, stock needle stock eveything. i've played with the needle in every position, they all do the same thing..... lowering the needle all the way makes the plug white. raising it makes it black. eitherway, it has the same issue.

I tried spraying carb cleaner all around the carb, boot and airbox to see if it was an airleak. Any advice would be helpful.

Trike is a 1985 Tri-moto 225dx

midsouthtrikes
01-18-2012, 05:57 PM
If its reving while holding the throttle steady I would say it has to be sucking air from somewhere but you said you sprayed the intake , carb, and airbox -that should have given you a sign of a leak. Have you removed the carb and checked for any trash inside? Filter dirty/torn?

hoosierlogger
01-18-2012, 05:59 PM
I dint know if it is the same as the Honda carbs, but my 110 was doing that. A China carb off of ebay fixed it.

Dirtcrasher
01-18-2012, 07:14 PM
Possibly could be an air leak, could be a clogged vent in the carb or gas cap.

Definitely not getting the same fuel/air mix all the time......

Afrothunderkat
01-19-2012, 02:10 PM
I am fed up with this carb. I am deff looking for a new one, guy down the street might have one.

I dont know where it could be sucking air in from. I dont really have anywhere to work on the trike. Everything is done outside in the cold. Guess ill take carb off, reclean it and make sure the air boots arnt cracked.

Would brake clean make the trike rev if sprayed near an air leak?

fabiodriven
01-19-2012, 02:19 PM
Brake cleaner will instantly foul your plug.

Dirtcrasher
01-19-2012, 02:44 PM
Did you make sure the gas cap is venting??

Afrothunderkat
01-20-2012, 01:22 PM
Did you make sure the gas cap is venting??

yes, i am going to bring everything inside today and ill strip everything apart. Ill let you know if i find anything.

Russell 350X
01-24-2012, 04:47 PM
I am fed up with this carb. I am deff looking for a new one, guy down the street might have one.

I dont know where it could be sucking air in from. I dont really have anywhere to work on the trike. Everything is done outside in the cold. Guess ill take carb off, reclean it and make sure the air boots arnt cracked.

Would brake clean make the trike rev if sprayed near an air leak?

Use starting fluid or carb cleaner...like already said, I'd check the cap...

Afrothunderkat
02-04-2012, 05:55 AM
UPDATE: Issue was resolved. Somehow... it was getting too much fuel, likes 3rd and 2nd clip slots. Thank you all for the input.