PDA

View Full Version : three wheeler conversion...

200x_rider
01-15-2012, 02:09 AM
hey guys, i have no idea if its even possible really but i was wondering just how much work would it be to turn my 88 trx200sx into a three wheeler? i was thinking the way it is built is close resemblence to my friends 87 200x and was wondering if maybe i could just put a new front end on it... i also thought about buying a 86-87 200x frame because i heard the bolt matter would match up perfectly. if anyone can second it that it will bolt up perfectly or that a new front end would work or any other better ideas would be greatful. :) please dont tell me to just sell my fourwheeler and buy a three wheeler because its just not possible lol. thanks for your time

three_wheelin45
01-15-2012, 02:25 AM
I said a dang near bolt up up.... not perfect, or it could be... but its close....

200x_rider
01-15-2012, 02:26 AM
lol just wanted a second opinion :D

TatTooL23
01-15-2012, 03:04 AM
Time and money involved to do it "right" wouldn't be worth it.

350xx
01-15-2012, 03:08 AM
I say go for it! A Atc200sx? Sweeeeeet. Reverse, 5 sp, semi auto, well..it definitely wouldnt be as sporty as a 200x.

audioworks04
01-15-2012, 10:26 AM
Be alot easier and cheaper to start with a rolling atc frame and swap your drive train over. A conversion that is safe will cost alot more than you think.

200x_rider
01-15-2012, 11:59 AM
so it wouldnt just be order my 85-87 200x frame for $70 and then throw a 300ex swingarm and rear end and put my 200sx motor on it and get maybe some 350x front suspension? thats what i had in mind the whole time because i want something no one else really has...
thanks for the feedback though

Vealmonkey
01-15-2012, 12:17 PM
Go ahead and do it and let us know how it turns out. It's kind of messed up that you want us to do all your thinking and planning for you. You think that the guys on here that have made conversions didn't have to go through trial and error to build their machines?

Jerm1179
01-15-2012, 12:28 PM
not to mention when the guys do give advice....like it would be easier to start with a roller and put in your drive-train..or just buy a 200x...you dont want to hear it...sounds like you already have your mind made up..which is fine, but then why even ask to start with?

Yamaha_Rules69
01-15-2012, 12:35 PM
Also, you would want 86-87 200x, 85 is 1st generation and goes from 83-85. 1st gen is completely different from 2nd gen. Good luck with your build if you do it, and take pictures along the way so we can see how it goes together. --- Jon.

200x350xtriz250
01-15-2012, 12:51 PM
so it wouldnt just be order my 85-87 200x frame for $70 and then throw a 300ex swingarm and rear end and put my 200sx motor on it and get maybe some 350x front suspension? thats what i had in mind the whole time because i want something no one else really has...

I may be wrong but none of what you have listed here is just a throw together and go deal. I'm pretty sure it has been found that the 200sx motor is not just a bolt in deal - it may not take much, but it is not a simple bolt in. Putting a 300ex swingarm on is also a very involved process. The only thing that may be close to a bolt on, is a 350x front end, but I have no idea if that will work or not. Why is selling the quad and buying a trike out of the question? Looks like you have money to spare if you can by a frame, triples, forks, shock, front wheel, front brakes, airbox, swinger, axle, rear brakes, fenders, gastank, seat, etc, etc, etc......
If this is something you really want to do, go for it, and keep us posted on your build. Othewrwise, I'd say ride the quad as is, or sell it and buy a trike. No shame in riding quads by the way.

brapp
01-15-2012, 01:26 PM
the easiest thign would be find a roller or at least frame and rear end from a 86-87 200x, its wayyyyyy safer then cutign and welding up a trike front end on a quad. and its not too bad but for the quad its not really worth cuttign it up, for the effort and uniqueness i woudl much rather ride a nice 200x than a abortion of a quad and a mix of parts.

Dirtcloud
01-15-2012, 02:00 PM
It is possible to put the trx200sx engine in 200x I have done it. You will have to modify one rear engine mount and then it will bolt right in. Converting your quad will take some time and be a pain in the rear, just find a 200x roller and swap the engine or ride the quad as it is.
Good luck

Dirtcrasher
01-15-2012, 02:52 PM

None of those suspension ideas fit without milling/welding and fabrication. Hours,hours and hours of it. That motor doesn't fit in an 86/87 200X frame either.

Chopping off the front end and making it a trike is no picnic either.

Buy a used 200X if thats what you want but only your jug/head and valve cover will fit.

Just trying to save you from trying to make something nice and ending up with a disaster........

Dirtcloud
01-15-2012, 03:06 PM
That motor doesn't fit in an 86/87 200X frame either.

What do you mean it doesn't fit, I know it fits I have done it.

200x350xtriz250
01-15-2012, 03:27 PM
What do you mean it doesn't fit, I know it fits I have done it.

Do you have pics of this or a build thread somewhere? How about details? Modify the mount how?

Dirtcrasher
01-15-2012, 03:31 PM
Do you have pics of this or a build thread somewhere? How about details? Modify the mount how?

Thats the thing. In 15 years I haven't heard of one be put in an ATC with "just a mount cut".

Please educate us on the exact process........

swampthang
01-15-2012, 03:49 PM
The 200sx quad engine does look very similiar to the 86-87 200x. If any engine was to just bolt into place on a 86-87 frame that engine is prolly going to be the closest. As for it just bolting in I have heard it but never seen it done. I even started a thread asking if anyone has done the swap but nobody had any pics:wondering http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/125003-200sx-engine-swap-86-87-auto-x?highlight=200sx+swap

Dirtcloud
01-15-2012, 04:59 PM

The rear mount in the pictures that is a little off color is the one that needs to be modified. This is done by first cutting it off second adding some length to it finally welding it back on the frame. This makes the rear mounting wider which is what is needed to mount the engine. After that the engine will bolt right using the stock 200x mounts and bolts with the exception of the one that has been modified. A battery box will also have to fabbed up and mounted to the frame, but I never got that far.
Also apologies to 200x_rider for kinda highjacking his thread.

Dirtcrasher
01-15-2012, 06:26 PM
What about a pipe, carb, airbox, top engine mount and sprocket alignment??

Got a pic of it as a runner? Sounds like you just got it in there and never finished.....

Which would still not prove it as an easy swap; Just trying to get honest info about all this.

Dirtcloud
01-15-2012, 07:05 PM
Yes your right it is not finished that is how it sits right now. I am not saying it is a easy swap but I am saying it can be done without a lot of hassle. The cylinder head on the trx engine is the same as the atc engine, therefore exhaust, carb, and top mount are all bolt on. Sprocket alignment is also right on the money. Some day I will finish the bike and then I'll know if this swap is really worth it.

Husky250
01-15-2012, 07:18 PM
[QUOTE=200x350xtriz250;1092228] Putting a 300ex swingarm on is also a very involved process.

Involved yes, but not impossible. The finished project is in my garage; cut chop, weld. A little milling to get the bearings in is also required but not terribly difficult.

three_wheelin45
01-15-2012, 08:33 PM
dirtcrasher the topends are exactly the same... so just put the 200x pipe/airbox/airfilter...

200x_rider
01-15-2012, 09:16 PM
wow guys all i was saying is i heard it could be done.. me only owning one three wheeler in my life and having only a couple of friends that still ride atc's i have no idea about anything thats why i was asking so you dont have to be a dick about it and say im messed up for asking if there was a way i could do it instead of spending money and end up in failure just to spend more money when people on here can just tell me if it would work... obviously the 200sx motor fits with one modified bolt in it onto a 86-87 frame.. the 300ex swingarm will fit onto the 200x frame (so i heard idk if thats true or not) and the 350x shocks i believe fit too.. this would be a multible year build as i am not made of money i would just like to make something no one person has alike and i need a project to keep me off the video games. thanks for your help dirtcloud and i will post pictures throughout the process.

fabiodriven
01-15-2012, 09:20 PM
All they're really trying to say is it's not nearly as easy to accomplish as you think, nor is it worthwhile. I tend to agree. Sell the square and buy a trike. Problem solved.

200x_rider
01-15-2012, 09:31 PM
i wish three wheelers were common down here lol anyone that pops on craigslist someone thinks they have a mint condition anitque and try to sell it for around $2000.... even when its broken down and what not.. when i find one cheap enough for the looks its in then ill buy a tricycle lol

Dirtcrasher
01-15-2012, 09:48 PM
dirtcrasher the topends are exactly the same... so just put the 200x pipe/airbox/airfilter...

I know that and I said that..... But that doesn't mean that the way the bottom end mounts up aligns everything in the ATC frame correctly.

Dirtcrasher
01-15-2012, 10:02 PM
wow guys all i was saying is i heard it could be done.. me only owning one three wheeler in my life and having only a couple of friends that still ride atc's i have no idea about anything thats why i was asking so you dont have to be a dick about it and say im messed up for asking if there was a way i could do it instead of spending money and end up in failure just to spend more money when people on here can just tell me if it would work... obviously the 200sx motor fits with one modified bolt in it onto a 86-87 frame.. the 300ex swingarm will fit onto the 200x frame (so i heard idk if thats true or not) and the 350x shocks i believe fit too.. this would be a multible year build as i am not made of money i would just like to make something no one person has alike and i need a project to keep me off the video games. thanks for your help dirtcloud and i will post pictures throughout the process.

Were trying to help you....Not hear to be negative, rather here to save you the effort. Dirtcloud has a motor in a frame, not a running 200SX motor in a 200X frame completed. I can stuff a Kawasaki motor in a 200X frame tomorrow and tell you it fits too if you'd like. Or would you rather hear the truth that many of us have tried and realized the repercussions of such swaps??

The 300EX swingarm does not fit, it is much wider.

The 350X shock does not fit either.

A 350X steering stem is larger than a 250R stem (the fork tubes are 2mm's larger), so I doubt that fits either or the steering stops match up.

Anything can be done, but you better have some good equipment and skills or listen to what people say and make a better choice to save yourself time and money...........

just ben
01-15-2012, 10:30 PM
funny this comes up right now. over on .org right now it's the same engine but with a recoil,electric start and an auto clutch. hmm, reverse was never mentioned.

Dirtcrasher
01-15-2012, 11:04 PM
^ Got a link Ben??

just ben
01-15-2012, 11:21 PM
^ Got a link Ben??I will get one. my point was some are saying it's The same engine. I know its not but if the false info is out there some may believe it. heres a link. http://www.3wheeler.org/vb/showthread.php?46276-Is-it-Hard-to-change-a-chain-and-sprocket

three_wheelin45
01-15-2012, 11:30 PM
Were trying to help you....Not hear to be negative, rather here to save you the effort. Dirtcloud has a motor in a frame, not a running 200SX motor in a 200X frame completed. I can stuff a Kawasaki motor in a 200X frame tomorrow and tell you it fits too if you'd like. Or would you rather hear the truth that many of us have tried and realized the repercussions of such swaps??

The 300EX swingarm does not fit, it is much wider.

The 350X shock does not fit either.

A 350X steering stem is larger than a 250R stem (the fork tubes are 2mm's larger), so I doubt that fits either or the steering stops match up.

Anything can be done, but you better have some good equipment and skills or listen to what people say and make a better choice to save yourself time and money...........

actually a 300ex swinger will fit with slight modifications, bud ive been waiting to do it to mine. Few guys on here have done it. but instead of milling and grinding the swingarm piviot point, I would jsut cut mine in half and the 300ex one in half and cobble them togeather...

TatTooL23
01-15-2012, 11:43 PM
^^^^ of course u would.....

Dirtcrasher
01-15-2012, 11:51 PM
^ :lol: "cobble"