PDA

View Full Version : Plug Chop (Your Opinion)

3boyswinter
01-14-2012, 07:40 PM
So took the 350x out for a 15 min ride, figured I do a plug chop to see where I was at with the carb.
Have some popping going on during deceleration.
Am I lean, rich, or ok on carb tuning?

shortline10
01-14-2012, 08:15 PM
Little lean or your air screw is out a bit . Make sure you dont have any exhaust manifols leaks for the back firing .

1984 honda 200s
01-14-2012, 11:27 PM
You seem to be ok, looks to be burning clean. But for your deceleration ''popping'' that would indicate a leakage in your exhaust. Your rear ''muffler'' can be full of holes and have no baffle in it and not back fire, but if your leaking at the ''joint'' where your muffler meets the headers then that would make it back fire ( just need an asbestes gasket) still available threw honda
Or your head pipe is loose( where it bolts to the head of your engine) theres 2 copper O-rings that go there, one of 2 could be disintigrated or just loose bolts.

Vealmonkey
01-15-2012, 12:12 AM
That plug sends sort of mixed signals. The plug looks sooty, but it appears to be burning rather clean. The big thing is, you probably did your plug chop all wrong. You have 2 fuel circuits to deal with. With each fuel circuit, you may have to do 3 or 4 plug readings, and that really means you need to use a new plug each time. You can do your lo speed or hi speed first, it doesn't matter, but if you are doing your lo speed fuel circuit, you can over rev the engine, or you won't get an accurate plug chop. Same with hi speed circuit, you can't lug your engine, or you're not getting an accurate plug chop. So you have to use new plugs, and you have to dedicate the chop to one fuel circuit or the other, not just generally ride around for 10 minutes, or you're not really accurately reading anything.

shortline10
01-15-2012, 08:48 AM
Veal is 100% correct we also need more info on your motor . Does it smoke or burn oil ? any exhaust leaks at all ? Some times its just a half plugged idle jet or the air screw isn't set correctly , so when is the last time the carb was serviced / cleaned ?