PDA

View Full Version : OK... if you snow plow with a 3 wheeler, lets share ideas thread. Big Red tire/rim??

350x'inNY
01-14-2012, 07:34 PM
OK.... thought I'd start a thread for all of us with snow plows on our three wheelers to share info and best practices.

I have an original Cycle Country plow on my 85 Big Red. Been plowing with it for a few years now. I started out with the original tires that came on my Big Red. They were getting pretty worn, so I put on a new set of Cycle Country tire chains. What a huge difference! However, find that tire chains are hell on the tires... else their dry rotting just accelerated.... keep cracking the tires in the center at the "triangle" tips of the OEM tires. So I had another set of rears from a parts Big Red laying around. They have a more aggressive tread, kinda like the old school Wolly Bogger but they are Cheng Chens. They both had slow leaks, but one was quicker than the other, so I tossed a tube in it this summer and everything was fine. Well... until today. We FINALLY got enough snow to plow, so I dismounted the rear tires, deflated them, and put on the tire chains. Blew them back up and put back on the trike. Rolled it up and mounted the plow and headed out of the barn and up to the road to start making a pass at the mailbox, and that rear tire with the tube was flat and the darn rim was spinning in the bead! I'm sure it must have shreaded that tube. Anyone else running tire chains plowing? What tires/rim combos do you run? I can fathom the extra strain on the wheel/tire with the tire chains added.... lots a grip and no slip... something has to give somewhere!

So to finish the job, I had to resort to a set of 250SX rims/tires I had kicking around. Same tire design.... It actually plowed better than the original OEM tires. However, I couldn't mount my tire chains because they were too big for the 22" SX tires. I had less ground clearance but seemed to push better.... not as good as chains, but better that the 50% tread OEM 25" tires.

Hope the trike fairy drops me off some new rims and tires for the Big Red! Other than the 250SX, any other OEM Honda rims fit? What are the aftermarket options for Big Red rims tires? (I know they need the "large bell" design to clear the rear brake..." But are we limitted to just the basic steel, or can we get some aluminum bling?

As far as plowing, I usually run the plow angled and make the first pass down hill to use some momentum. Bite off another half width of whats rolled over. Then I tilt the plow the other direction, and start rolling the snow the other direction. I'm a little biased, but the Big Red is way more manuverable than my BIL's Polaras Ranger. I use the straight on setting when there is big snow. I'll hold the plow up half way and peel a slice off the top. I also use the straight on setting when I mound up a pile of snow...

Hondaline Hartman

brapp
01-14-2012, 09:28 PM
well bruce first off i have never had goo dluck with tubes in atv tires, a good place to get rims for the bog red or the sx's is the honda recon, or if you want a taller 24 or 25 inch tires check into the rancher and the foremans even the yamaha 4x4;s have the 4 110 bolt patern on some of the newer ones. and as far as chains go they work better on tires with 1/2 tread or 1/4 tread than new tires less chance for the tchains to fall in between the tread.

Thorpe
01-14-2012, 09:31 PM
ITP Mudlites, no chains.... ITP wheels too!

atc007
01-14-2012, 10:28 PM
That is just a DAMN nice looking BR there Thorpe.

Bryan Raffa
01-14-2012, 10:32 PM
take the ice tires off the 300R bruce.... lol sounds like its time for tires....

CRAZY70MAN
01-14-2012, 10:43 PM
I run a old set of strykers with chains on my BR......they fit great. They have been on there for what looks like 20 years so no problem spinning the bead.

userj8670
01-14-2012, 10:55 PM
i just found out the OEM Chevron tires suck in the snow and rolling around the idea of chains however I was informed the chains eat the tires?

CRAZY70MAN
01-14-2012, 10:59 PM
i just found out the OEM Chevron tires suck in the snow and rolling around the idea of chains however I was informed the chains eat the tires? Throw em' on a set of old Trailpros........bet ya won't eat those up?? They will outlast your chains...lol

350x'inNY
01-15-2012, 07:02 PM
i just found out the OEM Chevron tires suck in the snow and rolling around the idea of chains however I was informed the chains eat the tires?

The chains I got are smooth on one side and have v-bars on the other side.

sbjones73
01-15-2012, 08:29 PM
Where can I find a plow set up for a 200. Or do I have to make ky own?

userj8670
01-16-2012, 01:33 AM
Throw em' on a set of old Trailpros........bet ya won't eat those up?? They will outlast your chains...lol

Roflmao yes thats true. The half life of a trail pro is 1,000 years

userj8670
01-16-2012, 01:38 AM
The chains I got are smooth on one side and have v-bars on the other side.

Ya Thorpe gave me a link to Moose brand chains. And now that you mention it, it is v-bar pattern. https://www.denniskirk.com/moose/v-bar-tire-chains.p512214.prd/512214.sku

350x'inNY
01-16-2012, 01:08 PM
Where can I find a plow set up for a 200. Or do I have to make ky own? They are harder to find. 200 only had reverse for the 1984 year, so by the time they worked that out, they moved on to the 250. Cycle Country made them for the Yamaha 200ERN too, I have a Yamahauler that has the rear mounts for the plow and someone had cut the Yamaha brushguards to have the plow lift be able to work.