PDA

View Full Version : tecate rear suspensio...

99gsxr750
01-13-2012, 09:20 PM
how soft is it? Compared to my buddy's trx 250x it feels as if my shock is blown. Last time out it bottomed out a few times, so today installed an ex300 shock and there's a slight difference but it's still (in my opinion) soft.

Yamaha_Rules69
01-13-2012, 09:44 PM
I know the tecate shock feels pretty soft, much softer than the other 3 wheelers I own to compare it to anyway. The 200x, 250r, tri z all seem to have stiffer shocks. Thats just the design of the shock on a Tecate I guess. I couldnt help with the 300ex shock, never tried one. I wonder how the tecate shock would feel with a stiffer spring, which is most like unavailable or extremely hard to find. I picked up a Kawasaki mojave parts 4 wheeler I was thinking about trying the shock on the tecate. It looks a lot similar to the tecate shock, and feels stiff when I jump up and down on the 4 wheeler, so I'll give it a whirl one of these days and see if it bolts up.

fabiodriven
01-13-2012, 10:56 PM
The stock Tecate shock is a bit soft but the EX shock seems to stiffen the rear up nicely. Either you're huge or there's something wrong with your EX shock. Did you adjust the spring preload?

dcreel
01-13-2012, 11:08 PM
Are you running the stock swingarm, or is it extended?

99gsxr750
01-14-2012, 08:51 AM
The stock Tecate shock is a bit soft but the EX shock seems to stiffen the rear up nicely. Either you're huge or there's something wrong with your EX shock. Did you adjust the spring preload?

I left the preload to it's softest setting because of how stiff my buddy's 250x is and because I didn't want the rear to be to low. And no I'm not huge.:p

Are you running the stock swingarm, or is it extended?

I'm running a stock 86/87 swingarm on a 1st gen.

T3 LOPES
01-14-2012, 09:28 AM
Running a 2 gen swingarm cld be your problem. did you change the dog bone mounting pivot point on the swingarm to match the first gen? If you did not it will never function correctly. stiffing up the spring may help. ive ran a 300ex shock since 05 and they work great. almost to stiff. I also use a banshee shock on my other t3 . It has more adjustments and seems to be a better shock for my set up.

99gsxr750
01-14-2012, 09:57 AM
Running a 2 gen swingarm cld be your problem. did you change the dog bone mounting pivot point on the swingarm to match the first gen? If you did not it will never function correctly. stiffing up the spring may help. ive ran a 300ex shock since 05 and they work great. almost to stiff. I also use a banshee shock on my other t3 . It has more adjustments and seems to be a better shock for my set up.

If your talking about the pivot in which the shock mounts to, I assume it's a 2nd gen piece because of the pivot bolt and the adjustable dog bone. What's the difference in pivots? I didn't swap the swing arm - the p.o. did.

dcreel
01-14-2012, 02:44 PM
If your talking about the pivot in which the shock mounts to, I assume it's a 2nd gen piece because of the pivot bolt and the adjustable dog bone. What's the difference in pivots? I didn't swap the swing arm - the p.o. did.

The dogbone and mounts (cantilever and swingarm) are centered on the 84-85 and offset on the 86-87.. Therefore if you use the 86-87 swingarm on the 84-85 the dogbone will be crooked (centered top to offset bottom), unless the po moved the dogbone mount from the side to the center on the 86-87 swingarm. Using the 86-87 swingarm on the 84-85 is essentially a +2 swingarm..

99gsxr750
01-14-2012, 04:39 PM
Apparently, I can't read. I thought t-3 lopes was refering to the pivots, not the mounts.
It is crooked because the p.o. never changed the mounting point on the swing arm.