PDA

View Full Version : Powder Coat Color Match '86 250r?

bkm
01-11-2012, 07:11 PM
I have searched but came up with nothing so far. I'm not looking for any type of nuclear secrets from anyone just a point in the right direction. I am starting the rebuild of my 250r and would like to get some of the components as close to oem as I can. I was wondering what shade of black you guys are using on the parts like foot-pegs, shifter, kicker, and the top triple tree.

I was thinking of going with Columbia Coatings satin black. I have tried a matte black and its too dull compared to the original.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

Mr. Clean
01-11-2012, 07:54 PM
I have searched but came up with nothing so far. I'm not looking for any type of nuclear secrets from anyone just a point in the right direction. I am starting the rebuild of my 250r and would like to get some of the components as close to oem as I can. I was wondering what shade of black you guys are using on the parts like foot-pegs, shifter, kicker, and the top triple tree.

I was thinking of going with Columbia Coatings satin black. I have tried a matte black and its too dull compared to the original.

Thanks in advance,
Bryan

I have a somewhat low hour machine and the black looks to me like a semi-gloss or as you say satin black (Grab bar, upper triples, foot pegs)

The shifter, kicker, lower front brake guide (by the caliper) are not so much black, kinda hard to describe but it is more like a anodized gray/black but not paint or powder.

bkm
01-11-2012, 08:49 PM
I have a somewhat low hour machine and the black looks to me like a semi-gloss or as you say satin black (Grab bar, upper triples, foot pegs)

The shifter, kicker, lower front brake guide (by the caliper) are not so much black, kinda hard to describe but it is more like a anodized gray/black but not paint or powder.Now that you mentioned it I remember mine being a gray color. Kinda like the caliper color just maybe a little lighter. Wow I just thought of how many different colors are on this thing to match. I need to get the gold for the front hub, and the gray for the calipers and engine cases. Not to mention all the little pieces that have to go to the plater to have re-zinc'd.

atc007
01-11-2012, 09:04 PM

The shifter, kicker, lower front brake guide (by the caliper) are not so much black, kinda hard to describe but it is more like a anodized gray/black but not paint or powder.

That green is OD green zinc plating. Can't help ya on the pc,other than in Mickeys thread a couple weeks ago. There was a link to a pc place that had,what I thought were great prices! I'll link it if you can't find it Bryan.

pantera1975
01-11-2012, 09:44 PM
I had my frame done with lil red wagon red from DuPont powder coating. The gray on my motor I had Carlos at BDT motorsports do for me in 1986 gray pc. I want to have the calipers sent off soon and have them done.

bkm
01-12-2012, 12:31 AM
I had my frame done with lil red wagon red from DuPont powder coating. The gray on my motor I had Carlos at BDT motorsports do for me in 1986 gray pc. I want to have the calipers sent off soon and have them done.Looks nice. I'll have to get with Carlos about the engine color. I have a pro-x 310 cylinder I am going to do in the stock color also. My frame is a the coater as we speak and its getting super mirror red.

Bill,

Was the brake pedal in the olive zinc coating also?

pantera1975
01-12-2012, 08:48 AM
On a 86 Im pretty sure the Brake, kicker and shifter where all like the motor. I guess Im not positive on the shifter. I had mine done in tripple chrome

vintagemotorsports
01-12-2012, 10:17 AM
actually the shifter , and kickstarter were a black oxide finish plated as well as the footpegs but i have used columbia coatings satin black witch is more or less a real good semi gloss black lays on nice and has the right look the matte black is a much duller almost hammertone look. the red columbia coatings mirror red is an almost dead match

atc007
01-12-2012, 10:39 AM
Thanx Mike. You're good to go now Bryan!

atc007
01-12-2012, 10:41 AM
Looks nice. I'll have to get with Carlos about the engine color. I have a pro-x 310 cylinder I am going to do in the stock color also. My frame is a the coater as we speak and its getting super mirror red.

Bill,

Was the brake pedal in the olive zinc coating also?

Brain fart.. I was thinking 83 and 84 on the kicker and shifter.

bkm
01-12-2012, 05:44 PM
actually the shifter , and kickstarter were a black oxide finish plated as well as the footpegs but i have used columbia coatings satin black witch is more or less a real good semi gloss black lays on nice and has the right look the matte black is a much duller almost hammertone look. the red columbia coatings mirror red is an almost dead matchThank you Mike. I tried some Matte Black and it just didn't look right so I stripped it off. Satin is what I'll order next.

Thank you,
Bryan

bkm
03-16-2012, 02:33 AM
Bump for an old thread and some new info. I was chatting with Buster Brown about the finish of the brake lever, shifter, and kicker. I found a pick of a NOS '86 engine with kicker and shifter and it looks as if it is a olive plating. I layed some satin black powder on my kicker and brake lever and it just didn't seem right. So I found this. These are good pics of all the different shades of colors used on the '86 engine.

http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?threadid=455223&perpage=10&pagenumber=3

Buster Brown
03-16-2012, 06:29 AM
Guys I'm learning this plating stuff here as of late too, so I'm no expert. Here is just my experience so far. 95% of the readers are probably like "Who the $@#! cares"...., but here goes.
The Olive plating used on many OEM parts varies in shade. I would guess each plating batch was slightly different, as is the case today. Here are some pics of NOS items and the variety of shades of "olive" they came in from Honda. Some are quite a bit more (green) "olive" than others. Some appear with my crappy camera to be black, but If you had them in your hands you'd be surprised. Not black really, but a very dark olive. I was confused too... to the point I even made a plating error and plated a petal (& other parts) black. Woops, newbie learning curve:wondering. Some parts were actually plated black like VMS Mike stated earlier. I'm not trying to contradict what he said by any means, but a picture is worth a thousand words, right?? The grab bars on many of the ATCs were plated black as well as some hardware. The TRX 250Rs had a lot of black hardware for instance.
BTW, if you are going to get things plated DO NOT sandblast the stuff. leave the factory plating intact. Any reputable plater chemically strips the previous "old" plating before replating. Sanded parts end up having a rough/dull sheen, similar (but not as bad) as the crinkle finish on a Harley Davidson. Hope this helps out a little.

http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm115-1.jpg

**In this photo, the far bottom petal is the "mistake" replated in black, & was sand blasted.** (the rest are all OEM)
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm114-1.jpg

**In this photo the far right petal is the "mistake" replated in black & was sand blasted** (the rest are all OEM)
http://i425.photobucket.com/albums/pp334/k10seibel/frolicandfarm113-1.jpg

bkm
03-16-2012, 07:11 AM
Andy this is great stuff. I seem to remember my pedal looking like the one second from the right on the bottom pic a little lighter than the rest and I remember that "Rainbow" kinda sheen to it.

I'm a geek for this stuff and its things like this that will keep all of us going in the right direction.

Thank you sir.

atc007
03-16-2012, 07:34 AM
[QUOTE=bkm;1105470]Andy this is great stuff. I seem to remember my pedal looking like the one second from the right on the bottom pic a little lighter than the rest and I remember that "Rainbow" kinda sheen to it.

I'm a geek for this stuff and its things like this that will keep all of us going in the right direction.

Thank you sir.[/QUOTE

Ditto here!!! I cannot get enough of this myself. You have hit the nail on the head Andy.. No 10 were the same. I had the priviledge to be carousing 8 dealerships within an hour of me all thru the 80's,and all the racetracks around also. SOME grabbars were like a chrome underlay with a sort of black top layer?? HARD to explain! Some of the brake pedals were,as you said,,sort of black,,some sort of green. I don't think Honda really cared,,as we DO ! Thanx for all the time you're putting into this !! The few of us that do care,,REALLY appreciate it !

Tyler 54
03-16-2012, 08:06 AM
I got some "Metallic Charcoal" from Absolute Powdercoating. I too am working on a stock 86. I like the look of it, Very close to a stock 86 case I had.
http://i70.photobucket.com/albums/i84/TylerMclaughlin/Picture034.jpg

I bought some of this gold from NIC Industries, havent used it yet but I'll report back when I do. It looks promising.
http://www.prismaticpowders.com/colors/HMB-1589/

bkm
03-16-2012, 08:28 AM
I wonder if you could mix it with a little lighter gray or silver to get that lighter look to it. I used columbia coatings gold metallic on my hub and its pretty damn close. I have some NOS pro-link stickers that I am going to compare the gold and see if its close.

atc300r
03-16-2012, 09:10 AM
The grab bar color was black chrome.The engine color was called darkshot silver,Frame color was passion red.This is what I read in dirt wheeles back in the 80s when the 86 250r came out.I have a 85 250r and a couple aircooleds aswell .The best trike ever built.:cool:Also Iv heard that there is a Nissan gold that is realy close to the swingarm gold on the 250r.Dont know if it is paint or powder coat.Hope this hepls.Good Luck with your restoration.

bkm
03-16-2012, 09:23 AM
I think the problem with the Honda color stuff is that we only have names to go off of and it doesn't really transfer over to any of the big name paint companies. I know Mike at Vintage once said that Honda guarded their color chips like nuclear secrets and he had to really gain their trust in order to perform some of their resto's that he has done. If you look at his stuff it's nicer than any of these bikes ever rolled off the showroom floors.

Guys like him, Buster Brown and many others have put in a lot of research, $, and man hours trying to duplicate what these bikes looked like new so that guys like me can try and recreate what our bikes once resembled.

Plus like Andy said you could have ten different parts with ten different shades of plating on these things so it makes it even harder.

bkm
03-16-2012, 09:26 AM
I also think that threads like this reaffirms my reason for my thread on a restoration section.

/shameless plug!:D

aldochina
03-16-2012, 10:45 AM
glad your doing alot of leg work on this color matching!! i love the idea you had for a special section, but like you said, the guys that have come the closest arn't to keen on sharing there secrets!!

Buster Brown
03-16-2012, 04:06 PM
Glad to help.
I should give credit where credit is due. TECATZ Has helped me out tremendously, and enlightened me on a lot of this plating stuff.
Thanks Ed!

bkm
03-16-2012, 10:53 PM
+1 on that. Ed was very helpful in my quest to get my stuff plated.