PDA

View Full Version : removing rust from a tank

ATCcountryboy
01-11-2012, 12:02 AM
How do you remove rust from the inside of a gas tank?

WisconsinJohn
01-11-2012, 01:13 AM
Check this thread for a few pointers
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/139462-failed-por-15-tank-sealer-removal

gus
01-11-2012, 01:24 AM
You can try salt and vinegar. Or a bottle of coke lol?

badass350x
01-11-2012, 06:36 PM
Half cup salt, fill with vinegar, let set 4 too 5 days!

daniel_250r
01-11-2012, 06:48 PM
buy 1 litre of evapo rust, not sure who sells it in the states..... pour it in leave it overnight. rotate the tank to get every side of it. when done pour out evapo rust and immediatly fill 1 litre of gas swish it around and dump it out, fill with fresh gas and ride!!

Mr. Clean
01-11-2012, 06:58 PM
It just amazes me how one can search the internet and successfully find this awesome site. Then when looking for information it seems people are unable to navigate a simple google or site search :wondering

My search string on google was "removing rust from gas tank" (feel free to utilize your preferred search engine)

The very first web page displayed is from a moped site and provides very solid information on "how to"

http://www.mopedarmy.com/wiki/Removing_rust_from_a_gas_tank

Enjoy.

ATCcountryboy
01-11-2012, 08:57 PM
I posted it on here because there are a lot of good people on here that know what they are talking about, and I wanted to be part of the community. Sorry that I made you mad for some reason.

badass350x
01-11-2012, 09:15 PM
The post Mr. Clean has put up for you is the one I used! The vinegar and salt method, works awesome!

Dean

3wheely
01-11-2012, 09:25 PM
Evapo rust works good but will flash rust if you don't keep the tank full. I would spend the money and get a tank repair kit. It comes with everything you need and you won't have any worries as long as you maintain
it. I think it cost like $45.

Mr. Clean
01-11-2012, 09:36 PM
I posted it on here because there are a lot of good people on here that know what they are talking about, and I wanted to be part of the community. Sorry that I made you mad for some reason.

Awww...you are part of the community :cry: and there are lots of good people here :Bounce

The thing is this has been discussed a number of times, search the site and the Internetz first then ask specific questions that you may not understand of the process. Your question was extremely vague. Removing rust is not specific to trikes, and vinegar would be the least caustic solution. Using Muriatic acid is the most dangerous. They even mention Diet Coke not regular so you dont have to deal with sugar!!

Hell no you did not make me mad :rolleyes: your giving yourself way too much credit.... I dont even know who you are. :wondering

Did you even go and read the link provided? Any questions? I know after some of these posts like throwing a metal tank that once contained fuel into a dryer would confuse the hell out of me.....

RapidRick
01-11-2012, 11:03 PM
Mr. Clean,

How long do you leave it in the dryer?

Do you use the Permanent Press or the Gentle cycle for knitwits?

Dirtcrasher
01-11-2012, 11:10 PM
^ Your dryer doesn't have the gas tank cycle?? :wondering

ATCcountryboy
01-11-2012, 11:24 PM
Sorry mr clean, i guess i heard you wrong. It is kinda hard to tell over the internet. I guess I wasn't thinking about looking on the internet, I just felt like starting a new thread;)

Mr. Clean
01-12-2012, 12:03 AM
Mr. Clean,

How long do you leave it in the dryer?

Do you use the Permanent Press or the Gentle cycle for knitwits?

Well RapidRick how much scientific and detailed information are you looking for?

How long I would leave the tank in the dryer would depend upon how many blankets surround the gas tank in relation to the size of the dryer drum...hoping for zero gasoline vapors. I believe thru a series of steps with acidic and basic chemicals there is a solution. :p

As far as what cycle......Contrary to the appearent message in my avatar.....I will choose the Gentle cycle.

RapidRick
01-12-2012, 12:19 AM
Last time I used the Phos acid, acetone, Kreem kit. Haven't filled them up yet, my brother has them stripping and painting them. We'll see what the future holds.

How's the 500 coming. Mine's nearly duneable.

bentthumbtriker
01-12-2012, 08:16 PM
put some gravel in your tank and some water then shake it for abit. it worked wel for me but you have to take your fuel tap out. when your done let it air out well.