PDA

View Full Version : needing some tips on installing cam,cam sprocket,timing chain on a 185/200 honda.

swampthang
01-09-2012, 09:00 PM
I'm doing a rebuild on a 200 honda motor I picked up from a buddy recently and have a few questions. First, on reassembly if I'm at TDC what way should the lobes on the cam point? Up or down? Second question is there a easier way or trick to getting the cam sprocket and chain on and alined correctly they the way shown in the manual? I am having some trouble getting the sprocket lined up because it seems like the chain is so tight. I've try installing it with the head cover off too. Anyone has some tricks that I don't know of that will help me out?

Vealmonkey
01-09-2012, 09:03 PM
First, you have to make sure all the tension is off the timing chain as well as your adjusters for your valve clearance backed off.

Dirtcrasher
01-09-2012, 09:14 PM
Welllll, since you don't have a free manual at your disposal.

TDC, compression or firing stroke, both valves should be fully closed or AWAY from the rockers. Some are up, some are down, but it's simple to look at them and figure it out.....

swampthang
01-09-2012, 09:31 PM
Welllll, since you don't have a free manual at your disposal.

TDC, compression or firing stroke, both valves should be fully closed or AWAY from the rockers. Some are up, some are down, but it's simple to look at them and figure it out.....
:rolleyes: duh! That makes sense on the lobes. I feel dumb now sometimes I tend to overlook the obvious.:crazy:

Yamaha_Rules69
01-09-2012, 09:43 PM
Take off the small rubber boot (if its still there) on the left side of motor, located near the bottom of the cylinder to the intake side. You will see what looks like a small bolt, and what looks like a larger nut just below it. Its 14mm, loosen that and take it all the way out. Look inside this hole, and you will see a small shaft looking thing, grab a smaller screwdriver, and push this in, it is spring loaded, so it will come back up on its own. While pushed in, all the tension will be let off the timing chain, and you can easily put the chain over the cam sprocket. Good luck!

swampthang
01-09-2012, 09:49 PM
Take off the small rubber boot (if its still there) on the left side of motor, located near the bottom of the cylinder to the intake side. You will see what looks like a small bolt, and what looks like a larger nut just below it. Its 14mm, loosen that and take it all the way out. Look inside this hole, and you will see a small shaft looking thing, grab a smaller screwdriver, and push this in, it is spring loaded, so it will come back up on its own. While pushed in, all the tension will be let off the timing chain, and you can easily put the chain over the cam sprocket. Good luck!
If I have the bolt out on the side of the head that holds the tensioner in place would that too let all the slack out of it? I haven't tried the tensioner adjustment on the case because I thought that by removing the bolt released it. Am I right or wrong??

Dirtcrasher
01-09-2012, 09:58 PM
Sounds like 2 different cam chain tensioner set ups.

If your tensioner bolts to the cylinder, behind that bolt it can be unwound. The lower case, it has a 2 piece setup that locks into place.

AGAIN, all in the free manual!! Why do I bother????????????????????

EarlyBronocGuy
01-09-2012, 09:59 PM
Don't bolt the sprocket to the cam yet. Install the cam into the head, place the chain around the sprocket, then place the sprocket onto the cam and rotate the cam until the bolt holes line up. Use loctite on the bolts.

Yamaha_Rules69
01-09-2012, 10:06 PM
That bolt you loosened at the top of the head is what holds the timing chain guide in place, thats not the best way to release the tension, the way I mentioned is the perfered way. Try it, and let me know if you have any problems.

swampthang
01-09-2012, 11:59 PM
Thank you Yamaha_Rules69 Thats what I was over looking. Got just alittle extra slack that I needed to get the sprocket onto the cam.

Sorry DC, I guess I just over looked the info I was needing in the manual. I have the manuals for all my ATV's but sometimes I just over look stuff. Great site with people that know how to help Thanks again guys!