PDA

View Full Version : Can you buy studs to put in regular tires?

leprogle
11-11-2003, 04:13 PM
I was wondering if you can buy studs to screw into regular tires.
I'm also wondering if anyone has ever used tire chains on their ATC's and if they're any good.
thanks

krizo88
11-11-2003, 04:19 PM
I used to stud regular tires, but when the stud gets ripped out the usually go flat (depending how much lug is left on the tire). I have tried chains too, but they arent the best for high speeds. Your best bet would be to pick up a set of cheng shin ice tires(they are cheap) and stud them up with either little sheet metal screws or buy actual studs (also depending apun your budget). hope this helps.

leprogle
11-11-2003, 09:28 PM
I have a pair of Cheng Shin's on her now, but i don't think they're ice tires, seeing as how they don't grip, because i was just on ice a few min ago

TeCaTe_MaN
11-11-2003, 11:35 PM
take some 3/4 or 1/2 inch sheetmetal screws and screw them into the thick part of your tire..not all the way thru or you will pop them

timex69
11-13-2003, 09:26 PM
Hey people
I sorta had an idea to back up what TeCaTe_MaN had said...u could try getting the sheet metal screws and cutting them off so it just screws into the tire enough to hold it in and not puncture the tire..u could try rounding off the ends 1nce u get them cut to the right length.

Just my 2 cents

TimSr
11-13-2003, 11:57 PM
You can buy a bag of "Ice Screws" out of Dennis Kirk.(used to have them anyways) We did it in dirt bikes as kids with hex head sheet metal screws. Get the short ones, about 1/2" and put them in the knobs, and they shouldnt punch through.