PDA

View Full Version : honest mistake about buying new Honda 250R fork boots

Micahdogg
01-06-2012, 10:04 PM
Edit- there is no warning. I was a complete idiot and falsely accused Service Honda of selling the wrong parts.

---------------

I just bought some OEM fork boots for $65 from Service Honda and I got Daystar's packaged up with OEM part numbers on them. I didn't know that this was not an OEM boot because they were the exact same boot that I already had on my 1986 ATC250R - and I had no reason to believe that they were not original due to the general condition of the boots with all the other components of the three wheeler.

Thanks to 3WW I now find out I did not get what I ordered, so I called them and asked. The guy said that Honda sometimes replaces OEM stuff with aftermarket and they have seen this happen with a few other items. I expressed my concern about the accuracy of restorations when the OEM parts you are ordering aren't even OEM? He didn't have much to say other than sorry.

Personally, I like the Daystar boots just fine. But I don't like (a) possibly paying too much for an aftermarket boot that I didn't have to go to a parts counter for and (b) not getting what I ordered. I don't know if this is a problem with Service Honda, or Honda Corp, or if I'm just being taken advantage of, but I wanted to make you folks aware of my experience.

Micah

just ben
01-06-2012, 10:52 PM
honda nor anyother mfg. replaces an oem part # with an aftermarket part. I have heard some good about service honda but just as much bad

Matrix
01-06-2012, 11:33 PM
I guess you got your money back right? Or at least the difference?

Micahdogg
01-07-2012, 01:47 AM
I'll contact them on Monday about a refund of the difference. The best I can tell, I got "58" series 15-2304 from the Tucker Rocky Offroad cataloge on their site. Those boots are $15.95 each vs. the $31 each I paid for OEM.

aldochina
01-07-2012, 02:27 AM
SHADY!! good thing you caught it, and hopefully get them for half what you paid! good luck on the refund! did you already install them?

pcollins
01-07-2012, 07:50 AM
Honda wouldn' replace OEM with aftermarket. they'd either say its not available anymore, or give you the interchangeable one (I.e. you ask for a 200x boot and they give you an OEM fitting one from a dirtbike.)

vintagemotorsports
01-07-2012, 09:23 AM
Honda would never rebadge aftermarket parts with there name on it , in fact i beleive service honda could get in big trouble with there honda franchise by doing so . very shady stuff

atc007
01-07-2012, 09:42 AM
I just bought some OEM fork boots for $65 from Service Honda and I got Daystar's packaged up with OEM part numbers on them. I didn't know that this was not an OEM boot because they were the exact same boot that I already had on my 1986 ATC250R - and I had no reason to believe that they were not original due to the general condition of the boots with all the other components of the three wheeler.

Thanks to 3WW I now find out I did not get what I ordered, so I called them and asked. The guy said that Honda sometimes replaces OEM stuff with aftermarket and they have seen this happen with a few other items. I expressed my concern about the accuracy of restorations when the OEM parts you are ordering aren't even OEM? He didn't have much to say other than sorry.

Personally, I like the Daystar boots just fine. But I don't like (a) possibly paying too much for an aftermarket boot that I didn't have to go to a parts counter for and (b) not getting what I ordered. I don't know if this is a problem with Service Honda, or Honda Corp, or if I'm just being taken advantage of, but I wanted to make you folks aware of my experience.

Micah

NOT Honda!! Trust me.. VERY<VERY Shady business. They knew EXACTLY what you ordered,,and they know EXACTLY WHAT ,they shipped you ! Very dirty.

Dirtcrasher
01-07-2012, 12:20 PM
WOW, thats amazing. Thats not the Service Honda I know. Could have been a choice by the shipper, who knows; But what they explained to you was an outright lie.

I guess there discontinued now too..........

Micahdogg
01-09-2012, 12:47 PM
Update - I just talked to "Pooh" at Service Honda and explained what I ordered and what I got. He said the same thing as far as them not being responsible for picking the parts, but rather they get what shows up. I'm not entirely sure how the process works. But in the end, he was concluding that someone may have ordered those boots, and returned the package with Daystars. Then next time someone ordered OEM boots, these showed up because no one ever caught it.

I don't know who was at fault or if they are feeding me another line of sh*t. But he asked if I could take a picture of the OEM bags I got, the fork boots that I got and then another picture of a true OEM fork boot and email it all to him. And he would try to find out what happened and make it right.

In the meantime, does anyone have a good picture of an OEM 86 ATC250R fork boot?

atc007
01-09-2012, 01:47 PM
http://www.google.com/imgres?q=1986+atc+250r&um=1&hl=en&client=safari&sa=N&rls=en&biw=1267&bih=664&tbm=isch&tbnid=YTna1bUoK8YkAM:&imgrefurl=http://myatvblog.com/vintageatv/vintage-1986-atc250r-sale-original-crate/&docid=_rSNHsd3GEmtlM&imgurl=http://myatvblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/1986-Honda-ATC250R.jpg&w=900&h=639&ei=YScLT_HZIajx0gHP_tzpDw&zoom=1&iact=hc&vpx=336&vpy=244&dur=2560&hovh=189&hovw=267&tx=140&ty=97&sig=105200623889964354839&page=1&tbnh=111&tbnw=179&start=0&ndsp=18&ved=1t:429,r:1,s:0

Sounds like a line. But,what Pooh's saying,,,with their amount of business would be possible. And VERY easily traceable on Their computer...Which leads to the very obvious question. Was the package OPEN or sealed when YOU received it : )

dcreel
01-09-2012, 01:54 PM
http://i.ebayimg.com/t/New-OEM-Genuine-Honda-Fork-Boots-85-86-ATC250R-ATC250-250R-a20-/11/!BguVLiQB2k~$(KGrHqMOKiEEr)ThlC0,BLGZy,oTY!~~_12.J PG

Micahdogg
01-09-2012, 03:09 PM
Ok, no more crack for me. I went to take pictures and.............

http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z84/Micahdogg/DSC03921.jpg

The old boots are daystars for sure. I don't know how I got so confused. So I guess this story ends with me being an idiot and now off to call Service Honda for an apology. It probably would have helped if I knew what OEM looked like from the beginning - and not now at the end.

Dirtcrasher
01-09-2012, 04:34 PM
Wow, you need to do something with that head of yours :lol:

Don't jump the gun so quick next time, Pooh might remember you!

Daystars look way different and like crap IMHO.........

gus
01-09-2012, 04:36 PM
When you were talking to the guy on The phone you should of said f@k can I get some vasalean lol. Just trying to make some laughs lol. But no doupt that would suck not receiving an o.e.m part that you hopping to get and turns out they ripped you off and give you an aftermarket part? !!

atc007
01-09-2012, 04:56 PM
OOPS ! At least you're man enough to own up to it!! Nice fork boots BTW !! We're all human. Glad to hear their rep stands.

Micahdogg
01-09-2012, 05:07 PM
It was a secret plot of mine to see how many people I could get to badmouth Service Honda :)

Seriously, I was trying to rebuild these forks in record time and when I got to the boots I just gave em the once over, decided they were the same as what I had, installed them a buttoned the front end up. Then went on to help my buddy with his 350X rear caliper.

It was when I tried selling the original boots in the classifies that people pointed out they were daystars. I should have double checked then, but I was convinced my eyes had not fooled me. OH well, I apologized to pooh and he said no worries. Sorry that I got all of you worked up. At least I learned a OEM boot from a Daystar now :)

Red Rider
01-09-2012, 06:17 PM
http://i191.photobucket.com/albums/z84/Micahdogg/DSC03921.jpgIn your pic, I see you've got zip-ties on the bottom of your boots. You should remove those for a cleaner look, since the factory fork boots don't need 'em, as they have ridges inside the boots which lock into the grooves on the lower fork legs.

Micahdogg
01-09-2012, 06:27 PM
I might try that. I noticed the "lock" but it didn't look very tight.

rdlsz24
01-09-2012, 06:28 PM
Wait I'm confused what happened here.... you were looking at the old Daystar ones and thought they were the new ones you ordered??

Rob

Micahdogg
01-09-2012, 06:44 PM
I was just confused all around. I thought my new and old boots were the same. When I found out my old ones were daystars, I just assumed the new ones were too. I should have waited until I got home and double checked, but I got worked up and called Service Honda.

It seems pretty obvious now that they are different, but at the time I was more concerned with all other aspects of rebuilding the forks than what the fork boots looked like. I just slapped em on so I could slide the forks in the trees and get the 3 wheeler done.

Scootertrash
01-09-2012, 08:03 PM
I commend your honesty in making a mistake and manning up to the fact you were wrong. I've been dealing with Service Honda for quite some time and haven't had any issues.

Buster Brown
01-09-2012, 10:08 PM
Don't feel bad, we all have those moments.