PDA

View Full Version : just picked up a 250sx, couple questions

kilabeez0
01-02-2012, 11:16 PM
traded my stock 70 for it straight up. i've had 70's, 110's, 125's, and a 200x never a 250. should make a nice work horse around the house. everything seems to work as it should. i dont understand how to shift it into reverse lol. it works because the kid showed me. is it the pin by the front brake lever? and the choke lever seems to be missing. the cable is there and u can just pull on the end to make it work but i'd like the actual lever. i've tried dr.atv and ebay and cant even find a picture of what it's supposed to look like. if someone could take a picture of theirs that would be great. i'll post some pics in the morning.

atc350xer
01-02-2012, 11:45 PM
Yes, push in the button, pull in the brake and shift down from neutral... that's reverse. As for the choke, yeah, you're missing the little slider, try the classifieds here on the site.

kilabeez0
01-02-2012, 11:47 PM
and i think after looking at some pics he has the hand brake cables incorrect. the rear brake lever is on the same side as the choke correct? because he has the front brake cable hooked up to the lever on the side with the choke.

atc350xer
01-02-2012, 11:53 PM
and i think after looking at some pics he has the hand brake cables incorrect. the rear brake lever is on the same side as the choke correct? because he has the front brake cable hooked up to the lever on the side with the choke.
correct. rear brake should be on the left.

Headsup
01-03-2012, 12:11 AM
?? I thought the Front brake and the Reverse cable was on left, (Choke side) And the rear Brake and the rear foot brake was on the right side?
Idk that is how mine is.

Also If your talking about the choke slider (Piston looking thing) < Thats what it reminds me of, Or a smaller throttle Piston with a little needle on the end.

I can never find them either.

Also there is a Whole Manual to your trike in the world class help section for free.
I will look for it, when i find it i will edit this post and put it here for ya

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/atc250sx_85-87_servicemanual.pdf
takes a bit to load, Or save it and open it on your computer.

kilabeez0
01-03-2012, 01:40 AM
great thanks alot!

STiForester
01-03-2012, 02:01 AM
I just picked up an 85 250sx today and the front brake is throttle(right) side. Reverse and rear and choke are all on left side

kilabeez0
01-03-2012, 02:15 AM
how about replacing the shaft boot? mine is ripped and leaking grease. i searched this site and went through the linked manual but still cant find anything. thank you!

MrPretty
01-03-2012, 06:04 AM
The shaft boot is still available from Honda

kilabeez0
01-03-2012, 09:29 AM
Right but how about replacing it? I didn't find anything on Herr but a Google search told me a little. Looks like if I mess up separating that shaft I'm screwed. Someone said to cut the old one off and use a big screwdriver to push the shaft over a hair and wiggle the new one on? Anyone have some better insight? I'm not trying to do a major rebuild!

atc350xer
01-03-2012, 09:56 AM
I had my rear end out anyway when I replaced mine, so I simply pulled the driveshaft back and slipped it on. I don't know any easy way to do it. In any event... do NOT take the angle drive off... you'll regret it if you do!

Headsup
01-03-2012, 02:06 PM
Yea just take the Shaft Pry it Back as far as it goes, And sip the boot around it, Should be that hard. Mine was Apart also. But idk maybe it will go behind the Shaft ounce you Pry it back. It is spring loaded and will Move Backwords 2 inches or so,

STiForester
01-04-2012, 09:03 AM
This is all good info. I just picked up one also and will be the first 4 stroke I will work on