PDA

View Full Version : esr 310 question for you guys, need help !!!!!!! carb question.

sbjones73
01-02-2012, 05:16 PM
ok.. got my 310 all installed and running. did the pressure test (6psi's for 6 minutes) passed with flying colors. but now i have a question about carb.

for some information. i am running a 38mm pj carb off a cr500. i have the stock air box on with lid off and k&n air filter in box. . 185 main and 62 pilot. my air screw is turned out 2 turns. fmf pipe and repacked fmf silencer.

so here is my question. when i get it to idle good. my idle/choke knob is like way out. if i have to pull the choke it only gets pulled like 3/8th" up. i contacted esr about jetting and they recomended a 182 and a 60. but i figured since i am running in colder weather i would go 1 higher for now. also the rpm's hang up for like 2 seconds after i chop the throttle.

am i missing something? or is this alright?

tri again
01-02-2012, 06:23 PM
I don't even know what an esr 310 is.
Is that a 2 stroke guessing from the pressure test.

Does the throttle snap back when you let it go?
I've had a few main needles flip their 'w' clip so the main needle kinda floats wherever it wants.
and may take a second or 2 to get sucked back down where it belongs.
Vacuum leak? Can you spray something around the intake and see if the idle changes?

Does the search key work for you?
Are there any manuals in the 'world class help' section that have any hints?

Sounds like it's gonna be fun by the looks of the weather report.

sbjones73
01-03-2012, 01:26 AM
sorry for the double post, but i thought that this bette be in the carb topic thread.

Louis Mielke
01-03-2012, 07:06 AM
Throw that pj away and buy a new 38mm pwk airstriker. You probably have an old worn out carb, and the pj's are kinda finicky anyway. It could have a worn out slide and air is leaking past. Sounds like it's lean on the pilot or an airleak like tri again is suggesting.

If you spent the money on a esr 310 big bore then go ahead and spend the money on a new carb, should be able to get one around $190. If you order from sudco pretty sure you can tell them what jets you want to come in it and they'll recommend stuff too. I bet you $20 you're just fighting an old sloppy carb. Not worth the headache.

pantera1975
01-03-2012, 08:17 AM
I run a 38mm PWK air stryker on my ATC 250r with a 330. Its a great carb.

sbjones73
01-03-2012, 02:49 PM
thanks..... i think you gys might be right. so i will be calling sudco now... first race is like this weekend !!!!!!!!! i think i have ran our of time !!!!!!!

sbjones73
01-03-2012, 03:16 PM
well called sudco. hows about 287 plus shipping ? a bit pricey at this point in time for me. maybe in the next couple of weeks. but thanks guys for the information. i will have to play with what i got for now i guess !!!!

rjs89ia
01-03-2012, 04:12 PM
for some reason those jets sound a little big, if it has that much hesitation i would try to down size the pilot and main a little i know its better to run in a new engine rich but 2 seconds of hes. is a long time. i agree with the switch to a pwk a/s carb thats exactly what i run on my 310. i believe i run a 48 pilot and 165 main thats at 3500ft elev. whats your plug look like after running with that jet combo? may also check on airflow because my bike wouldnt run for anything with th stock box i tried no lid a couple diff. filters and finally had to get a airbox delete just to get it to run like it should.

sbjones73
01-04-2012, 02:55 AM
yeah that is what i was wondering also on the air box deal. not sure what to do yet. can't afford an air stryker just yet. soon but not yet.

i am going to play with the jetting here in the next couple fo days.... i figure go for fouling a plug and back it down from there on the main. i screwed my air screw in like 1 full turn and it seems to run a heck of alot better right now.
we shall see.

Louis Mielke
01-04-2012, 07:14 AM
don't think this is an a/s but the differences are minimal. this would work. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Keihin-38mm-PWK-Carburetor-Carb-Banshee-250R-LT250-500-/350353480562?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item5192b1db72#ht_1769wt_1163 204. with free shipping.

here's the airstrikers for 20 more. http://www.ebay.com/itm/TRX250R-ATC250R-250R-38-38mm-KEIHIN-PWK-CARBURETOR-CARB-/130482005753?pt=Motors_ATV_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item1e615566f9#ht_500wt_1081

I said about 190.00 so this is in the ball park. Kinda surprised sudco was so highbut hey everything goes up. I bought mine a couple years ago.

sbjones73
01-04-2012, 08:22 PM
louis, you were pretty much right on with the price. i said the hell with it and ordered a 38 air striker thru eddie sanders, 199.00, plus i got the air box eliminator kit. got it all for like 250, shipped.

now i gotta save for a paul turner pipe, get rid of the fmf. in due time i think, i won't be getting my snowmobile jacket this year. gonna have to wear carhart again this year, all my money tied up in parts ha ha, but true !!!!!

i would like to say thanks to all of you and great information. i will let u all know how this all turns out.

Mosh
01-04-2012, 08:29 PM
Everyone steered you in the right direction here. You were way off on Jetting with the PJ. You will be way better off with the PWK.

I would strongly consider the ESR ATC5 pipe over the PT pipe though.

rjs89ia
01-04-2012, 08:46 PM
agree with 5 pipe, esr might shave some dollars on it too if you call em up again. i cant really speak about the pt because i havent tried it but i believe an esr engine will run best with its own pipe.

RIDE-RED 250r
01-04-2012, 09:33 PM
I agree with RJ.

I just made a significant purchase from ESR and Tom put together a heck of a package deal for me. My total bill with shipping was $1313. If I had just ordered everything online I would have paid about 3-400 more not including shipping of case machining. He also threw in some small things like exhaust flenge O-rings, pilot jet and the case and clutch cover gasket free of charge.

Sorry to jack the thread a little bit there, but I wanted to concur with my personal experience that ESR will make you some deals if you buy more than one or 2 parts. I'm VERY pleased with their service.

sbjones73
01-05-2012, 02:54 AM
if heard that the pt pipe is awesome on the top end. and that is what i usually ride my trike in is close to wide open or wide open. (ice racing 99 % of my riding)

anyone have experience with both pipes that could compare for me !!!?????
thanks