PDA

View Full Version : Front dampers are now Discontinued 83 200e, any ideas?

mxlj
01-02-2012, 03:32 PM
I am rebuilding a set of front forks for my 83 honda big red 200e. It needs new front dampers. I have all the other parts, but need a set of dampers. So i tried ordering new dampers from a few different sites and they have all called me back, or emailed saying the are discontinued and no longer available.

Any ideas? any body have a set? Anybody know of a place with 2 in stock?
Part # 51210-958-305 DAMPER, FR.

I also had a crazy idea, those high pressure lift shocks for tonneau covers and hoods etc. Maybe a set of those could be modified to fit. The make them in all sizes length etc. and 75lb., 100lb., 150lb. lift ratings. This will be a last resort, but maybe possible solution.

wonderboy
01-02-2012, 05:59 PM
I had the same problem with my 84 Big Red. The dampers were just completely toast. The entire fork setup on these two years is pretty bad. Once water and dirt gets in there, they just disintegrate. If you aren't looking to do a complete restoration, you can just put them back together as is. There really is so little travel up front anyway, and with the hard rear, I figured I wasn't loosing that much.

You can get the nylon bushings still for the inside of the fork sliders. If the chrome on your fork tubes is in good shape (mine was NOT), this will help freshen up the slider action. It was a bear getting the old nylon busings out though.

I thought that there may be a common automotive hood/trunk shock that would work, but didn't spend much time searching for it.

Good luck and post what you wind up doing.

petesatc
01-03-2012, 05:20 AM
I have NOS dampers in stock PM me...