PDA

View Full Version : Cold Weather Riding

Jon Boy
01-02-2012, 01:37 PM
since old man winter is already upon us, might as well get some tips and info started for those new to cold weather riding. post up any tips or info you might want to share.

figured i would start it off with a Wind Chill Factor Chart. this is one of the most over looked things when it comes to cold weather riding IMO. :beer

http://i1209.photobucket.com/albums/cc394/jonboy327/windchillchart-1.jpg

Thorpe
01-02-2012, 10:48 PM
FOR ALL THE NEWBIES
When riding in the cold, dont lick your trike, or flag poles...
Relatively self explanatory...

swampthang
01-03-2012, 08:36 AM
Cold weather riding sux! I ride a atv every day for my job. Yesterday I worked 11 and a half hours in the cold with winds blasting about 40mph at times. Only tip I have is more clothes! I am going to get some heated handgrips and some hand guards to block the wind from my hands that should help out alittle. Its funny because when I go out to ride with my friends for fun in the snow the cold doesn't bother me too much:lol:

hillbilly 200x
01-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Cold weather riding sux! I ride a atv every day for my job. Yesterday I worked 11 and a half hours in the cold with winds blasting about 40mph at times. Only tip I have is more clothes! I am going to get some heated handgrips and some hand guards to block the wind from my hands that should help out alittle. Its funny because when I go out to ride with my friends for fun in the snow the cold doesn't bother me too much Don't wast your time with the handle bar guards. Shop around and try to find hand bar muffs they work a hell of alot better then guards In the winter. They work really good with heated handgrips to. there is the only video or pic I could find of them had I them on my 200x. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cuT3wvMZ3pA&hd=1

hillbilly 200x
01-03-2012, 09:11 AM
Cold weather riding sux! I ride a atv every day for my job. Yesterday I worked 11 and a half hours in the cold with winds blasting about 40mph at times. Only tip I have is more clothes! I am going to get some heated handgrips and some hand guards to block the wind from my hands that should help out alittle. Its funny because when I go out to ride with my friends for fun in the snow the cold doesn't bother me too much Don't wast your time with the handle bar guards. shop around and try to find hand bar muffs they work a hell of alot better then guards in the winter and they work really good with heated handgrips.

swampthang
01-03-2012, 06:00 PM
I'm sure those kind of mitts are warm but I never really liked that kind because If you are in a accident you might not be able to get you hands out in time to get away from injury.

Tecate250
01-04-2012, 01:43 PM
Swamp thing. I have them on my Tecate and i never strap them down. Ive had them almost freeze solid and still keep the heat in. I swear by them. Next best thing to atving since the powerband.

Jon Boy
01-04-2012, 02:22 PM
Next best thing to atving since the powerband.

:lol: :beer

Jason125m
01-04-2012, 05:43 PM
Don't wast your time with the handle bar guards. shop around and try to find hand bar muffs they work a hell of alot better then guards in the winter and they work really good with heated handgrips.

This coming from a guy who's too much of a chicken to ride in the winter. :D

WIND-PROOF CLOTHES :) As well as wind-proof gloves. Obviously insulated, anti fog helmet... Very good boots...

I've gathered up so much warm clothes over the years I'm never one bit cold no matter the temperature. Most of my riding is on the lake, in high winds. The most important thing is warm gloves. You're only as warm as your fingers are. Sometimes I have to use the hand warmers on the real cold - 30 C days. IMO hand guards are great for the cold. Keep the wind of you quite a bit, i'm going to pick-up a pair for my 350x.

I usually wear, a windproof skidoo suit ontop ( Huge snowpants and coat ) With a windproof under shirt, a normal long sleeved shirt, a sweater or two and my normal winter coat underneath. I also wear long underwear, 2 pairs of pants, and the mentioned above snowpants.

Remember, the wind is the killer.

Jason

Jon Boy
01-04-2012, 07:10 PM
yeah, that's why i figure the wind chill chart was the first thing to put up. :beer

Matrix
01-05-2012, 01:44 PM
I love the chill chart but the best thing I have figured to do is learn from experience!

kebby28
11-25-2013, 09:35 PM
Has anybody found a decent pair of heated grips and a thumb warmer worth installing? My thumb gets exspecially cold making it hard to throttle. The handle mitts sound like they would be worth trying too.
Thanks

3wheeled roofer
11-26-2013, 09:23 AM
one tip.....go to the desert and ride in board shorts to the river and throw a polar bear dive.......enjoy the cold out there people and happy t day to all

redsox
11-26-2013, 09:33 AM
i like riding in the cold. puts a little adventure in the adventure. i do have a winter question. i just started wearing mx boots. do they keep you warm? they feel like they will but i don't want to find out the hard way.

keister
11-26-2013, 02:43 PM
i like riding in the cold. puts a little adventure in the adventure. i do have a winter question. i just started wearing mx boots. do they keep you warm? they feel like they will but i don't want to find out the hard way.

They aren't as warm as insulated winter boots, that's for sure. That said, I have never had a complaint. A lot of MX boots have metal reinforcement up near the toes. That metal, much like steel toed work boots, does transfer some cold. Some of my friends put those toe warmers in their boots. They last for several hours and really do work (best used in conjunction with some heavy insulated socks). Other people just whine about their toes being cold.

If I am out in winter riding a sport trike, I do always go for the protection of riding boots. If I'm on Big Red or a hard tail, I often opt for some insulated snowmobile or hunting boots. If you do many creek crossings, I have found that Muck Wetland boots are hard to beat. Expensive, but well worth the price for tall, waterproof, insulated footwear.

R-N-D
11-26-2013, 05:01 PM
Try these, either pair. I have them on my trike and they work just fine. Did some winter riding last year up in Wisconsin and it was really cold out. These worked well plus kept any water/ice off of my hands when I hit some deep holes. Along with some nice wind/waterproof gloves, good to go. I like them.

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/962/9651/ATV-Logic-Hand-Protectors?term=hand%20cover

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/p/962/15583/Tusk-Hand-Mitts?term=hand%20cover

redsox
12-01-2013, 09:32 PM
i rode yesterday. pretty cold and wet. the oneill craiglist special mx boots i picked up on the cheap kept the piggys warm all day. pair of wool sox and i was good to go. i gotta grab a set of those bar mitts.

WIkid500
12-01-2013, 10:18 PM
Love riding frozen lakes and rivers in the winter, great adventure. Remember to dress like an onion... Layers are your friend in the cold. Mufflers are great for warming hands, just be sure not to burn your hands cause you cant feel them lol.