PDA

View Full Version : Sandy K&N filters...

stevensj13
12-31-2011, 07:37 PM
Is it safe to boil these filters? 2 K&N filters. Sucked in water and sand got stuck on the outside and the filters collapsed inward. I figure boiling them would get the sand out and restore their shape.... Any input?

http://i1235.photobucket.com/albums/ff430/stevensj13/filters.jpg

whyzee
12-31-2011, 07:42 PM
Ummm they belong in the trash..the gauze is completely fried
time to get new ones.

Dirtcrasher
12-31-2011, 09:01 PM
I'd say stay out of the sand and water especially without an "outerwears"......

Chuck em.

jensenracing77
12-31-2011, 09:21 PM
X3

time for the trash. i don't like K&N filters much anyway.

stevensj13
12-31-2011, 09:24 PM
Alright, they are goin in the trash and I'm heading to Cycle Gear tomorrow for a new set of filters

Dirtcrasher
12-31-2011, 10:19 PM
The Banshee did that - didn't it?? ;/

stevensj13
12-31-2011, 10:26 PM
The Banshee did that - didn't it?? ;/

Yup, I went though a sandy water hole that I couldn't avoid.... and I ended up being towed back to the trailer by a Polaris. I really nice one too. Had to tear off the carbs, intakes, reeds, and clean everything up. Still has plenty of compression and the cylinders/pistons don't have any scoring

Dirtcrasher
12-31-2011, 10:27 PM
Hopefully it was a Polaris 3 wheeler :D

stevensj13
12-31-2011, 10:39 PM
Hopefully it was a Polaris 3 wheeler :D

Haha that would be cool! It was a fancy new Sportsman 800 with independant suspension and fuel injection. That thing carried me straight up a 80 degree slop about 20 feet up and it was muddy. I was on a 500 pound Banshee

Chazz of Blades
01-02-2012, 12:44 PM
I won't deny, I love my trikes, but these new time cylinder Polaris quads are freaking tractors.

tri again
01-02-2012, 01:01 PM
I won't deny, I love my trikes, but these new time cylinder Polaris quads are freaking tractors.
My local shop guy said that the 'ignition module' for polaris are all one unit so very expensive, like 300$

But back to the filters?
I'd be tempted to try compressed air from the inside.
It they blow apart, they were going in the trash anyway, right?

I twisted my ankle and got some knee high support 'hose to compress the swelling
and now they are being used as covers for my filters.
Kinda like nylon stocking material.
10 pairs for like $2.99
I wonder if they'd cause trouble?
Melt with oil or gas? idk (yet)

audioworks04
01-02-2012, 02:55 PM
I am a big fan of KN in the sand but only with an outerwear. All of the foam filters that I have ever used seem to be extremely covered with sand way before the weekend is over. Have been running outerwears on everything I ride for 15 years and have never had a failure that was linked to a dirty intake air.

atc007
01-02-2012, 04:41 PM
Never been a fan of K&N.. When we went to War in Iraq. Our military had to throw them all away from sand induction. Yours are junk,,and if you had trash that far into your engine,,,you are completely kidding yourself that you did no damage to your Banshee. She's gonna want freshened up sooner than later.. that's just my opinion. If you don't want the box on,,get yourself some good foam filters,and oil the heck out of them,,keep them fairly clean,,,but ALWAYS have them covered with oil and outerwears. Good luck!

fabiodriven
01-02-2012, 05:36 PM
K&N's are facking garbage in the dirt. They have their place, and that place is the street. That's it. The only other place they're usable is if you're trying to fill the trash can.

jensenracing77
01-02-2012, 10:35 PM
K&N's are facking garbage in the dirt. They have their place, and that place is the street. That's it. The only other place they're usable is if you're trying to fill the trash can.

that is my thoughts as well but to speak it out loud i use softer language, lol

i can see where they would work good in the dunes with a good dry skin over them so the sand will fall off but you can do that with the foam filters also.

there is a reason they breath more air.