PDA

View Full Version : Another invert question

insanecreations
12-31-2011, 02:05 AM
OK i have purchased some usd forks 33ish inches from axle to top and 1.650 inches in diameter. im going to be welding the triple clamps to to the z triples, thing is (and maybe all are like that idk) the forks are leading axle with the brake mounts on the opposite side. i am wondering if it is possible to cut the caliper mount off and turn the forks around and weld a new mount on the axle side and weld on new guard mounts also . is the cast aluminum going to hold if the new mount is welded to it? also i will make it where the bottom mounting hole is the axle whole.

Louis Mielke
12-31-2011, 11:22 AM
Most inverts are leading axle. I would not cut the mount off.

insanecreations
12-31-2011, 02:17 PM
lol to late i woke up at about 5 this morning and couldn't go back to sleep, so i went to the shop and started cutting. I'm going to pull the ends off and weld them up in a few hours.

insanecreations
12-31-2011, 07:03 PM
ok hit a snag i cant seem to get the ends off anyone know how these things come off

Louis Mielke
12-31-2011, 07:19 PM
And that's why I said not to cut them off. You need special tools and heat. With out the special tools you'll probably make things worse.

insanecreations
01-01-2012, 05:29 PM
i finally got it off, once i figured it out it was like common sense. i think this is going to work out OK once i get the new caliper mount drawn and cut out.

pantera1975
01-01-2012, 06:13 PM
Look up jason Hall he has the parts and may be able to help

insanecreations
01-05-2012, 11:16 PM
OK well as it turns out living in my town you cant find an aluminum welder, evidently neither can you find one in the surrounding towns. i have all brackets made and ready to be welded just waiting on my stock triples to get here and to find someone that can weld them. I am able to use my ex bosses aluminum mig but idk if cast aluminum can be welded with a mig and to be quite honest i have never welded aluminum. if anyone has any info on welding cast with a spool gun or tig for that matter i would really appreciate it.

TatTooL23
01-06-2012, 09:20 AM
I really don't know how to do it but I do know u r suppose to preheat the parts. Like getting them very hot before weldIng. Using a torch on the parts to be welded. At least this is what I have seen done.

just ben
01-06-2012, 09:53 AM
pre heating will help the material "flow" better but controlling the cooling is pretty important. If it cools too fast it could crack.

jmax857
01-06-2012, 05:40 PM
Take it too a welder, and show somee pics, I wana do the same thing soon.
What are the forks from?

audioworks04
01-06-2012, 11:54 PM
This is not a project for a beginner. An aluminum mig is not made to do structural work like you are trying to do. In order to do what you are wanting you need someone that has been doing tig work on aluminum and alot of cast aluminum for years if not decades. Welding cast aluminum to cast aluminum is not easy. Personally I would not have changed the axle from leading to trailing, you could have made up for this in rake, also when you weld to your tube your run a risk that your warp the tube and therefore making the seal worthless or wear more quickly than it should. I would get in contact with Jason and see if he can still get you a set of triples and brake rotor adapter for a tri z to run 85sx forks. I may have a set of forks forsale if you are interested, brand new seals and progressive springs.

GoObYdOo
01-07-2012, 12:41 AM
TIG welding is a MUST in this situation.Joint prep is crucial when welding aluminum as well.
Both pieces being welded together need to be bevelled and cleaned/wire brushed thoroughly
Prior to welding aluminum I heat the pieces being welded in a 400 deg. oven
Just before welding,the area being welded needs to be wire brushed,and wire brush the joint throughout the welding process,oxidation and impurities form within minutes (instantly during the welding process)
When finished with a weld (even if only a small area) SLOWLY lower the amperage (called ramping down) while moving the torch back into the joint to prevent cooling too fast and cracking the weld.Never just stop welding suddenly,and always weld from the edge towards the middle!
Aluminum is tricky and you wont be able to just grab a TIG welder and weld it properly,lots of practice,patience and an understanding of what makes a PROPER weld is needed when doing structural aluminum,its very easy to screw up!

Hope this helps...

atc007
01-07-2012, 10:16 AM
^^^^^ Not for beginners folks^^^

jmax857
01-07-2012, 12:26 PM
Ya there's no point in telling someone hoow to tig weld through a forum post. Just take it to a professional welder.