PDA

View Full Version : Paint removal from plastic fender? Help Please!

MRSOUND
12-30-2011, 12:50 AM
I'm looking for suggestions for how to remove paint from a fender without damaging it beyond refurbishment. One of the PO's decided they wanted a "cow" trike? :crazy:It's a black fender with coats of red with white over top and looks to be brushed on pretty thick in some areas. I read through "chainsaw's" thread in the world class help section and have gotten the sand paper grits to follow his process :D but first need to remove this paint. I tried using a 3M ultra fine grit sanding block/sponge but 1 1/2 hrs later (2nd pic) i've barely "touched the surface"! Hoping to wake up to some helpful suggestions!

VintageHondaKid
12-30-2011, 01:05 AM
I've heard that gel type paint remover will work and not harm the plastic

just ben
12-30-2011, 01:11 AM
if you go to an automotive paint supply store they have a stripper that is meant for plastic and rubber.brake fluid also works but is very slow. the gel stripper mentioned above wil soften the plastic, restoration after that will be impossible

badass350x
12-30-2011, 02:38 AM
Just go too the local hardware store and get the cheapest spray on stripper, spray it on wait for it too bubble wipe off then wash off with soap and water! No need for anything Expensive... done it many times!

bkm
12-30-2011, 06:58 AM
I've used the brake fluid trick and it worked great. Just soak a rag and wipe it on liberally. I let it sit overnight and the paint pretty much just wiped off the next day.

110klt
12-30-2011, 07:53 AM
I have used Aircracaft paint remover on metal and man did it work. I have never tried this version "just for plastics" but here is a link

http://www.wmbarr.com/product.aspx?catid=82&prodid=45

hoosierlogger
12-30-2011, 08:07 AM
The search function will bring up enough suggestions to make your head spin. Not quite as many threads about it as there is about oil, but pretty close.

Orangecnty250r
12-30-2011, 08:28 AM
Let me know what works! I was told soaking parts in Wesley's Bleach White would work without etching the plastics...never tried it. I have this issue with an NOS Part! My first ride ever was a 1983 rm 80....I bought new factory YELLOW plastics from suzuki when available. The right side panel came painted metallic silver...beautiful gloss yellow under it....have to get down to it!!

scuba
12-30-2011, 08:38 AM
I prefer using oven cleaner. I spray it on heavy and let it sit for a few hours and then take the fenders to a carwash for a high pressure hose down. This will take off like 98% of the paint, all but what is in-beaded into any scratches. and then I follow up with a good hand washing to remove the rest.

MRSOUND
12-30-2011, 10:32 AM
Quite the variation of products and methods. I appreciate all the feedback! :beer Want to try something someone already used and got positive results as I believe this fender has the potential to clean up well in the end and don't want to ruin it. After some thought I currently have the fender covered with easy-off oven cleaner. SCUBA I hope your right! will know in an few hours. The sizzling sound as I applied it scares me a little:eek:. Will post results when I get back from the car wash later.

MRSOUND
12-30-2011, 01:51 PM
Ok...Heres a pic after first application of easy-off oven cleaner. Left it on for approx. 1 hr and took it to the car wash and power washed it. If you compare to pics in first post you can see it took off 90% of the white paint that was on top. Applied second helping. Guess I'll see if it takes the red/silver coats off next! Nice shiny spots on either side are where decals were (painted as well). Don't know if they cleared off easy due to oven cleaner or just because of high water pressure? I'll update again after I power wash off second application.

daniel_250r
12-30-2011, 02:02 PM
big 2000 psi pressure washer nuff said

MRSOUND
12-30-2011, 04:31 PM
Well second round took off more but not all. Next round will just have to be good ole elbow grease. Removing the paint also uncovered some deeper gauges:cry: Still total time actually "working" the fender maybe fifteen minutes with oven spray($5) & car wash ($9). Time savings enormous. (thanks scuba:beer) Will keep updating progress if anyone is interested? Gotta get the rest of the paint off then going to follow "chainsaws" thread to see what kind of finish I can obtain.

1987350x
12-30-2011, 05:04 PM
I'm very interested in your progress. Please continue updating
I have fenders that has been painted black and would love to bring it back to white.

just ben
12-30-2011, 10:44 PM
so your 14 bucks in. the proper stripper is 9 bucks and will wash the paint off with a garden hose.if your pleased with the results thats all that matters. have fun with the sanding and polishing,thats where the real time will come in. I had 6-7 hrs into just a radiator shroud

MRSOUND
12-30-2011, 11:32 PM
I know Ben....Unless I'm at a bachelor party the word stripper just scares me.... only because I'm ignorant to paint related processes(removal or application). The front fender has a thick coat of red paint on it and maybe I'll try the remover you suggested on that on that. I'm a complete virgin when it comes to this so I tend to lean on the cautious side. I've heard too many horror stories related to plastic and "stripper" solutions. No disrespect intended on not utilizing your suggestion. I realize it may cost me more time and money in the long run. But regardless I do appreciate your feedback!:beer

just ben
12-30-2011, 11:59 PM
I know Ben....Unless I'm at a bachelor party the word stripper just scares me.... only because I'm ignorant to paint related processes(removal or application). The front fender has a thick coat of red paint on it and maybe I'll try the remover you suggested on that on that. I'm a complete virgin when it comes to this so I tend to lean on the cautious side. I've heard too many horror stories related to plastic and "stripper" solutions. No disrespect intended on not utilizing your suggestion. I realize it may cost me more time and money in the long run. But regardless I do appreciate your feedback!:beerI wasnt saying that how i strip paint on plastic is any better than any other way. maybe cheaper. but like I said if you are happy with the results,thats what counts

MRSOUND
12-31-2011, 12:22 AM
I'm all about cheaper & easier. And I'm serious about trying the stripper on the front fender. My cost & time initially posted does not include the 15 minute drive to and from the car wash X2(another hr total + gas). I'd been more satisfied if all the paint came off but, like I said maybe I'm a little too cautious.

MRSOUND
01-03-2012, 11:09 PM
Ok...After about 5 hrs of wet sanding with 230 grit I have very short finger nails and 99% of the paint removed from my fender. Some areas had as much as 4 coats (all different colors) still on in some spots. (I don't think I mentioned it is off a '84 klt 110). The rest is down in scratches and gouges which the paint removal revealed.

Humble side note: ben - wow if the plastic paint stripper you mentioned works it would be well worth the price. I will try it on the front fender when I get to it.

Next, over the coming weeks I will work on sanding/polishing to remove as many scuffs and scratches as possible and hopefully return a nice finish to this fender by using the techniques outlined in the following thread posted by chainsaw.
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/24247-Sanding-restoring-plastic.-How-to-guide

Lots more work ahead!

Here is the evolution of my fender so far.

just ben
01-03-2012, 11:19 PM
lookin good and your getting there. the paint stripping is the easy part,the sanding and polishing is the real fun of it. keep us posted and have fun LOL!

honda200x1987
01-03-2012, 11:59 PM
I see you finally got the paint removed! It is a pain in the rear to get off, I have always had good luck using "Super Clean" degreaser. I just spray it on let it set for a few min then it starts to bubble up. It all depends on what kind of paint is on the fenders , sometimes you have to repeat and set overnite in some cases. It absolutley does not damage the plastic at all period, incase someone want to try it out. It works.

MRSOUND
01-04-2012, 12:25 AM
There is just so many contours on those rear fenders. Alot of the time factor removing the remaining paint i think was due to my inexperience as much as anything else. Making myself constantly flush the sandpaper in water, (it really does make a difference!) finding the right angle for each contour, finding objects to wrap the sandpaper around to fit the contours. Hope I can do the rest a little more efficiently and do a decent job at the same time. Fingers are literally sore from sanding. Started wearing a glove on my hand so I wasn't wearing anymore of my fingernails away!:rolleyes:

jays375
01-04-2012, 12:43 AM
You should have used paint stripper and the garden hose.No need to be afraid.

honda200x1987
01-04-2012, 01:26 AM
How do you plan on polishing them up after sanding?
There is just so many contours on those rear fenders. Alot of the time factor removing the remaining paint i think was due to my inexperience as much as anything else. Making myself constantly flush the sandpaper in water, (it really does make a difference!) finding the right angle for each contour, finding objects to wrap the sandpaper around to fit the contours. Hope I can do the rest a little more efficiently and do a decent job at the same time. Fingers are literally sore from sanding. Started wearing a glove on my hand so I wasn't wearing anymore of my fingernails away!:rolleyes:

MRSOUND
01-04-2012, 09:21 AM
As far as polishing I ended up getting Meguiar's fine cut polish. Chainsaw had recommended 3M brand but advanced auto didn't have it. I'll probably do the karate kid method of application, "wax on, wax off" since I'm not versed with a buffing wheel. I do have a dremmel as well as an air die grinder that attachments could be added but I again do not know the process for buffing/polishing with these or the proper materials to be used.

jays375
01-04-2012, 06:51 PM
There is great info on plastic refinishing on here.Hate tot burst your bubble but you have a long road ahead.A dremmel and air powered die grinder isn't going to cut it.It is a long and time consuming process.If you skip a step your results will show.I would practice on the front fender first.Hope you didn't use really aggressive grit paper to remove that paint.

MRSOUND
01-04-2012, 08:09 PM
I hear ya Jay. I don't plan on skipping any steps. Hoping to prove the average Joe (or Mike in my case) can refurbish their plastic. As far as the dremmel/die grinder thats why I was asking. I don't own a buffer and just wanted to know if there was any adapters for these to help in the buffing process only. If not, well I'm still gonna follow through and do it by hand. I used 230 grit to remove the paint(in earlier post). I figured I wouldn't go any courser than what the recommended starting grit was for the scratches. After seeing what it took to just remove the paint and the depth and amount of scratches on this fender after the paint was removed is why also mentioned in an earlier post in the coming "weeks" I would work on it. I know I'm in for a haul.

Afrothunderkat
01-04-2012, 09:10 PM
need to do this to my 2nd set of tri-moto plastics, good info

badass350x
01-04-2012, 09:24 PM
You should have used paint stripper and the garden hose.No need to be afraid.

That's what I had said! Done it so many times and never had any issues!! The hard part is the sanding like many others have stated already!

Yamaha_Rules69
01-04-2012, 09:38 PM
http://www.paintremover.com/827-3312.html?cmp=googleproducts-wiz&kw=827-3312&utm_source=827-3312&utm_medium=shopping%2Bengine&utm_campaign=googleproducts-wiz&gclid=CLLC6evet60CFRECQAodRhoOow

I tried this product on my rear fenders. Too bad I didnt let you know sooner. This stuff is the safest stripper, and does nothing to the plastics, heck its even biodegradable. I gave it a good coat or two with this stuff, and let it sit overnight, then it washed the peeled paint off with the garden hose. This stuff works wonders for sure. I picked it up at the local hardware store, runnings, but others may carry it also.

MRSOUND
01-14-2012, 12:16 PM
Well this is just as time consuming as those who have already done this have said. I'm posting my latest progress. My patience with this was wearing thin so I had to put it aside for awhile. Anyway working an hr here and hr there on this I've managed to rack up 5 hrs sanding with just the 230 grit taking out scratches and gouges and still do not have the first half of the fender complete. (almost back even with trunk area) I needed some instant gratification and to make sure this would be worth it in the end, so I spent another hr going through 400, 600,1000,1500, and finally 2000. I started to hand buff these areas another hr and my hand and arm were spent. Borrowed an air buffer from a guy at work this week and below is the results so far with another 40 min buffing with air. Starting to look decent but up close there are still a lot of dull areas that I'm hoping will buff out eventually. Guess I'll keep going because its looking alot better, but this will be a long slow project working on it 1 - 1 1/2 at a time 2 -3 times a week.

swampthang
01-18-2012, 10:28 AM
Just go too the local hardware store and get the cheapest spray on stripper, spray it on wait for it too bubble wipe off then wash off with soap and water! No need for anything Expensive... done it many times!
He speaks the truth. I did this last night to a heavily painted fender and it all wiped off easily. Very helpfull thread guys.