PDA

View Full Version : a Couple Quick Questions.

Headsup
12-28-2011, 05:05 PM
Hello 3WW.
got the right side of my Case back on today, Filled it up with oil, Seems no leaks.

Sorry it is a 85 250sx

Just now i have a leak in my Exhaust, It is a little crack but when i first started it, When it smoked a little, I seen it coming out of the crack. Question is,
Is there anything i can put on it to Stop it leaking. I tried J. B Weld Mold, Just it fell right off when it got hot.
Napa said they have a Exhaust bandage? Would that work?

Another question is, Why is their some liquid Dripping out of my Exhaust? It sat for a couple weeks, Maybe that is why?
Also it was smoking a little bit when i started it, It was white smoke. It stopped after it got warm. Why would it smoke a little when started?

Yamaha_Rules69
12-28-2011, 05:30 PM
The best way to fix the exhaust would be to weld it, if its too rusty and cant be welded, replace it. As for the engine smoking upon start up, it could be the vlave seals, or worn piston rings. When it gets warm, it re-seals due to expansion.

Headsup
12-28-2011, 05:39 PM
Pipe isnt rusty at all, Just some 1 tried to bend it And it cracked it. I could take it off and have it welded i suppose. Recommend any High heat tape? Or muffler bandage?
Hope its not my Rings, Or valve seals. it doesnt do it all the time, Only if it sits for a couple weeks without starting it, It wont smoke if i start it each day, It doesnt smoke at all.

What about the liquid issue?

1985BigRed250ES
12-28-2011, 06:03 PM
the white smoke is moisture build up in the exhaust. thats normal for it to smoke white until it warms up. the reason it quits when it warms up is,by that time, it would have burned all the moisture out of the exhaust and liquid dripping out could also be moisture, just a thought.

Jordan

Jon Boy
12-28-2011, 06:08 PM
muffler tape will work, but welding is best. usually "white smoke" means water (oil burn is blueish colored smoke). it could possibly just be condensation is all. think of your bathroom mirror after a hot shower, get the mirror warm enough it won't steam up. if not started for awhile my 125 does this for the first few mins after started. put a clean white papertowel or rag down to catch the drip and see if it's clear or not.

Headsup
12-28-2011, 10:16 PM
Okay Nice idea. I will start her up tomorrow and see if it smokes, If so Or liquid comes out, I will use the paper towel idea. I went and bought a Exhaust leak repair kit, Idk it was cheap so i thought i would try it.

It came with a weird metal Looking "Tie" Looks like a spring, No instructions on what to do with it, All the manual says is Use the metal "Tie" To secure the bondage in place. Idk i will try and update ya's tomorrow How it went.

Thanks for the Input., Really appreciated. Didn't know white smoke was water and blueish was oil, So thanks for that