PDA

View Full Version : 200x fired once and then no more

BigRedRunner
11-10-2003, 02:19 PM
Once again, fate has smiled upon me and I scored a nice shape '84 200x for free. Its been sitting for a while, but the plastic is all intact and its 100% there. I was told it was a runner, just needed a clutch. I checked for fire and I got a great big fat spark on one crank, and then nothing. I think I saw a very very faint spark from the end of the arm on the plug to the exhaust pipe where I had it resting, but nothing more after that.

Whats the usual things to check for by eye and with the multimeter. Also, where do I stick the leads of the tester and what values am I looking for. I'm so stoked to get this thing going. The big red is just waaaaaay to slow and floaty to get into any real action

speed20
11-10-2003, 02:48 PM
Check the Stator wires with a light tester, take the 2 wires and put one end of the light tester in one wire,, and the other part in the other wire...kick it over, if it lights up, the stators good..could be the black box under the gas tank and or the coil (where the sparkplug boot screws in) Let us know if it works or not...Good Luck

BigRedRunner
11-13-2003, 07:36 PM
Popped of the stator cover and out came oil. Cleaned the oil out and got it to sputter a bit when cranking. Carb needs cleaned, new plug and gas and I should at least be making progress. Question is, whats leaking oil in there. Looks like I need a slide hammer to get the flywheel off too.

Levithan
11-14-2003, 11:55 AM
No man, dont do that! You gotta use a 14mm bolt, the thread area has to be 14mm, and the threads have to be 1.5, so it will easily screw into the center of the flywheel area, and just pop it right off. Then, when you wanna secure it back on, just put the original bolt back on. Hope that helps!

speed20
11-14-2003, 02:47 PM
Or, you could use the Swingarm bolt ;) and a little ball bearing, or round the head off of a 1/4 inch bolt and make it about 1/2 inch long and stick the bolt in, hold the flywheel with chain tongs and screw the swingarm bolt in it....works like a charm. THE STATOR MUST HAVE OIL!!! if not, the whole bottom end would lock up...could possibly be out of time also...

TRI-Zbrian
11-14-2003, 03:03 PM
yeah id check your timing it may have jumped a tooth or something like that.

BigRedRunner
11-14-2003, 07:47 PM
THE STATOR MUST HAVE OIL!!! if not, the whole bottom end would lock up...could possibly be out of time also...

I finally sat down and remembered how these things are put together. Then I came to the conclusion, of course there has to be oil in there you freakin retard (me). I'm more embarassed because I thought I had a clue after overhauling the top half of my 250es, changing the sprag, and reinstalling the kickstater. Oh well, humility is a good thing. Which timing mark do I go by for the the cam timing. One says "F" and the other says "T". I've gotten the thing to try to run forn a split second, or it'll just backfire. Keep in mind the carb was absolutely disgusting inside and the gas petrified when I was trying this.