PDA

View Full Version : 83 200x brake problems

Swinger
12-22-2011, 11:34 PM
Anyone have any tricks to free up a rear brake caliper? It is hanging up pretty bad and disconnected the e brake to see if that was the culprit but no luck. I am thinking just pull off the caliper and shoot a bunch of PB blaster in there and try working it around and see if it breaks loose. Any tricks that can help out would be appreciated, Thanks, Dave

Dirtcrasher
12-23-2011, 12:31 AM
Your slide pins are most likely seized. The caliper is meant to float (so to speak) and I use silicone grease in those areas

You may find it near impossible to get the slide pins free. Heat them up and just rebuild the whole caliper as well as running a block off plate you silicone on there.

If they won't come out, carefully placed bushings/sockets can be your friend in a press or a big vice. Many times the split slide pin bushing falls out.

It's so easy to ruin the seal holding thin lips on these aluminum calipers. Think about what your putting pressure on

Many people neglect these areas.............

Swinger
12-23-2011, 12:37 AM
Thanks dirt crasher! I will hopefully get it freed up without rebuilding but if I need to it will get done. My trike collection has grown from 1 to 5 and will be 6 tomorrow so lots of stuff to keep me buzy, ha ha!

Grizzlypeg
12-24-2011, 03:06 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php/65970-brake-caliper-swaps-for-83-85-200x-s/page3?highlight=200x%20rear%20caliperYou can replace your rear caliper with the front caliper from an 85cc honda dirtbike. No e brake, but you can get a new or nearly new one for cheap. That's the route I went.

See this old post:

Swinger
12-31-2011, 09:51 AM
I messed with this for about 2 hrs last night and works like new now. The caliper piston was froze up. I greased it up real good and worked it back and forth a few times and walla!! I left the ebrake on just because it dosent seem to be hurting anything. It needs adjusted but thats no big deal. If I park somewhere that the machine wont hold itself in first gear- I shouldnt be parked there, ha ha. Thanks for the help guys!