PDA

View Full Version : Looking for a little help need a carbouretor for tri-z 250

tjbrem89
12-22-2011, 05:55 PM
Hey just bought my first tri-z needless to say im pumped but the carb is shot, i need recomendations on what model carb to buy for it, oh and its completly stock if that helps... Thanks and will appriciate any help i get!!

zzmegad
12-22-2011, 06:31 PM
everyone likes the keihin pwk carbs, but they are about $250-$300 new by the time your all said and done. thats what I'm saving for, my Z carb is all pitted and nasty, but still functions ok

tjbrem89
12-23-2011, 04:17 PM
yea but what mm carb do i go with

zzmegad
12-23-2011, 06:45 PM
i was going to get the 38, some people like the 39, others the 36. I think the stock size is 32??

tecat-z
12-23-2011, 07:05 PM
A great all around carb is the Mikuni VM34. It's a round slide design that is pretty much a direct replacement for the oem carb. Many people balk at the thought of using this style carb, but my experience with them is very solid with a stock to mildly prepped 250cc engine. They can be had new for right around $100. Alternate jets are very easy to locate too. You will gain a bit of mid/top power too. Don't mess with old worn out carbs. They only cause grief, and cost performance from idle on up.

the otha tri-z
12-29-2011, 11:49 AM
A great all around carb is the Mikuni VM34. It's a round slide design that is pretty much a direct replacement for the oem carb. Many people balk at the thought of using this style carb, but my experience with them is very solid with a stock to mildly prepped 250cc engine. They can be had new for right around $100. Alternate jets are very easy to locate too. You will gain a bit of mid/top power too. Don't mess with old worn out carbs. They only cause grief, and cost performance from idle on up.

That's some very good advice that I would agree with. I know a lot of people will also use a flat side keihin off of an 86 R or any TRX250R which are both 34mm. If your stock, a 34mm is a good choice. I'm currently running a Mikuni TMX38. I got it really cheap off of a 2000 RM125. I was in the same boat as you and needed something better. It took a lot of rejeting since it was set up for a 125. At first I didn't really like it but once I put a DG pipe set on it, they worked really nice together. Besides the pipe and carb I'm stock as well. So I always have my eye out for a good deal on a 34mm or 36mm because it would probably be a better size for my Z.