PDA

View Full Version : ? about 85 big red starter and headlight wire short

1300man
12-21-2011, 01:20 PM
Does anyone happen to know which color wires go to the headlight and starter. I can move the wiring harness around by
the sterring neck and the neutural light will come on and it starts right up. (It will still kick start without the neutral light on.)
I can't seem to track it down,Thanks

tri again
12-21-2011, 03:15 PM
Does anyone happen to know which color wires go to the headlight and starter. I can move the wiring harness around by
the sterring neck and the neutural light will come on and it starts right up. (It will still kick start without the neutral light on.)
I can't seem to track it down,Thanks

Can you find a wiring diagram in the 'world class help' section?

I believe the neutral safety switch just prevents the starter from spinning but it will kick start.
I have one with all 4 ignition switch wires disconnected and it kick starts and all the lights work when it starts.
Electric starter isn't connected through the key switch, however.
Seems to me that the key switch simply allows the starter TO spin and allows 12 volts TO the lights so they can be on with the engine off, key on.
Key off is just like the grounding kill switch so it's not really an 'engine on' in that sense.
There is a thread on cleaning the ignition key switch. and it's not uncommon for the neutral safety switch
and / or reverse safety switch to get oily and loose connectors.

I have 2 that need to be wiggled but too lazy to do anything about it.
Let us know if you can't find a wiring diagram.

1300man
12-21-2011, 06:19 PM
Thanks alot! I will check it out

MonroeMike
12-21-2011, 06:23 PM
http://www.3wheelerworld.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=85520&d=1261803431

1300man
12-21-2011, 10:49 PM
Thanks for the help, Gonna try and find the problem tomorrow